Ryan | Jan 14, 2019 | 0
California Wine Club – Is it the best wine of the month club?wine of the month club that offers a generous selection of artisan wines from small, independent wineries from all over California. And with 5 different wine of the month club levels (one of which feature imported wines from Europe), the club is one of the most highly sought-after wine clubs this holiday season.
For more wine of the month club reviews, check out our sister site here, TheUnbox.com to help decide which wine subscription service is right for you.
OUR LATEST VIDEOS
It is a small family-owned wine of the month club subscription service founded in 1990 by Bruce and Pam Boring. Their goal for the past 28 years has been to help small California wineries more easily distribute their wines to consumers across the U.S. and the world.
From Ventura, California, their small team of employees works closely together to find the most interesting and delicious wines from across California, and ship them directly to your door.
A handful of those 15 employees are personal wine consultants who taste and learn about every single wine that is featured. These consultants are assigned to club members and are available to answer any and all questions members have about food pairings, how to store the wine, or any other questions members have about the wine they receive. Essentially, they help members enjoy the wines the way they were supposed to be enjoyed.
As stated above, they offer 5 membership tiers, each at different price points. Each is available with monthly, bi-monthly, and quarterly deliveries. Here’s a quick breakdown:
Premier Series Wine Club: The original membership; This membership gives you an up-close-and-personal tour of California’s artisan wine scene starting at $40.45.
International Series Wine Club: This is the membership for those who want to try small, family-made wines from across the Atlantic. It’s a little more expensive than the premier series starting at $71.
Pacific Northwest Series Wine Club: Wines from Oregon and Washington have recently become extremely popular, they decided to deliver what the people want! This tier starts at $77.
Signature Series Wine Club: For those who like the special bottles, this membership will net you two (mainly red) bottles of limited production, highly-rated California Wines starting at $134.
Aged Cabernet Series Wine Club: Aged wine is arguably some of the tastiest and most complex wine one can enjoy, and they know it. This membership will get you two bottles of Cabernet Sauvignon, aged 8-12 years straight from the Napa Valley. The tier starts at $231 per delivery.
Want to get this box for yourself or as a gift for someone?
Here’s a handy list of some of the featured wines in previous deliveries.
|Image||Product Name||Best Feature||Reorder Price|
|Gnekow Family Winery Campus Oaks 2016 Lodi Chardonnay||Featured in the Premier Series, this Chardonnay has hints of green apple and buttery oak notes.||$10|
|Brandborg Vineyard & Winery 2016 Umpqua Valley Pinot Gris||A Pino Gris from Oregon that pairs well with barbecued oysters.||$16|
|Gnekow Family Winery Campus Oaks 2013 Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel||It’s recommended that you enjoy this Zinfandel now or in 9 years. Quantities are limited.||$15|
|Tonti Family Wines 2014 Artisan Series Russian River Valley Old Vine Zinfandel||Only 104 cases of this 94 point Zinfandel were produced.||$40|
|Bravante Vineyards 2010 Howell Mountain Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon||One of the wines featured in the Aged Cabernet Series, the suggested retail price for this Cab is $75 but members ALWAYS pay less.||$48|
|Stardust Wines 2014 Dellar & Friedkin Vineyard Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon||This one got its 92 point rating mainly for its awesome label.||$100|
|Blue Farm Wines 2015 King Ridge Vineyard Fort Ross-Seaview Pinot Noir||“Deep and well-ripened, richly oaked in its crème brûlée orientation and yet always focused first on its lovely dark cherry component…”||$88|
|Cloisonne Wines 2016 Mendocino County Zinfandel||The pepper, spice, and caramel notes of this Zinfandel pair well with grilled meats and stews.||$17|
We’ve had a hell of a time finding issues with the club, which is good news for you, the consumer. For our full California Wine Club review, click that link, but while you’re here, take a look at our list of pros and cons of the club.
Pros vs Cons Of California Wine Club
- High quality, delicious wines ordered directly from small, family-owned wineries across California. One of the membership tiers delivers imported wine.
- Multiple membership tiers ensure you can find the perfect subscription for yourself or a loved one.
- Think you’re drinking wine all wrong? No worries! Personal wine consultants are available to answer any questions you may have about the wines you receive.
- Small, family-owned TLC goes into each membership, ensuring your bottles arrive on time and unbroken.
- The option to reorder wines you can’t get enough of with only $1 shipping costs.
- The option receive only whites or only reds in each subscription (minus the Signature Wine Series Club)
- 3 or 4 bottle subscriptions are available (most are 2-bottle subscriptions though.) The club pays the cost for shipping that extra 4th bottle.
- Their Love It Guarantee ensures if you’re unhappy with the quality of any wine you receive, they will refund or replace it for free. You don’t even have to send the bottle back.
- Countless online tools to help you understand your wine, find recipes, create a personalized list of your favorite wines, and much more.
- Cancel your subscription at any time with no hidden fees or hoops to jump through.
- Signature required for deliveries (this is necessary for any alcohol subscription service.)
- Some of the wines in the club aren’t available in stores, so you’ll have to reorder from them or the manufacturer.
- Shipping can take up to 3 weeks and the cost of shipping is not included in the sticker price.
- The selection of wines is limited.
- Does not ship to Utah.
There is no current coupon or promo code.
Joining the club is simple. The hard part is deciding how much wine to order.
Here are 4 simple steps to join the wine club:
Step #1: Select Your Membership
Choose which types of wines you’d like to receive by selecting your membership.
Step #2: How Much Do You Want?
Once you’ve selected a membership option, decide whether you want it for yourself or someone else, then choose how many bottles you’d like to receive, and how often you’d like to receive them. You can receive wine monthly, bi-monthly, or quarterly.
Step #3: Review Your Cart
Don’t forget the promo code here!
Step #4: Checkout
You’ll have to create an account if you don’t have one already. Enter your billing and shipping information and create a password for your online account (it’s required.)
Step #5: Kick Back, Relax, and Await Your Wine
Your first shipment will show up between 2 days and 3 weeks after your order is placed.
More Great Wine Of The Month Clubs
Still undecided on which wine club to buy? Cross-reference with these other great wine of the month clubs!
- Bright Cellars asks you to take a palate quiz to better assist you in finding wines you’ll enjoy. Check our review of Bright Cellars in TheUnbox here.
- Winc is a California-based winery that offers its own wines in its clubs along with wines from all over the US and the world.
- Like organic wine? The Plonk Wine Club might be right up your alley.
As you can see, there are plenty of reasons why we like the California Wine Club. For more reasons and the full review, don’t forget to check out our California Wine Club review!
Want to get this box for yourself or as a gift for someone?