Today, we'll talk about Tinder statistics. It is one of the most popular dating sites in the United States. Undoubtedly, online dating has become popular in the last ten years. Thanks to the birth of social media apps, our lives were never the same again!
If you are looking for a potential match, these dating statistics will help you understand how dating works in real life. As a dating coach, some of my works have been published on Outwit Trade and Best Life Online. Tinder is an online dating app with many active users. These tinder statistics might convince you to download it on your phone.
Ultimate List of Tinder Statistics
We are living in a digital age, and it's no surprise that online daters have grown in numbers. One of the major sites online daters frequent is Tinder - a name so etched in recent memory that everyone's heard of it at least once.
Tinder was launched in 2012. It is an online dating app that matches its active users based on geographic proximity. It has a swipe interface; swipe to the right to like and to the left, to pass. If both active Tinder users like each other's profile, it's a match, and they can chat through the app. The app users then swipe to the left or right based on physical attraction. That, combined with physical proximity, has resulted in Tinder gaining the status of the 'hook-up app.' But even after it gained its reputation, it still retains its spot as one of the most popular online dating apps.
Tinder Market Share and Revenue Statistics
As Tinder gains more popularity, more people download the dating app. That also means that members are also willing to pay to access the gold and platinum features so they can find more potential matches. Theese revenue statistics show that the app isn't going anywhere anytime soon: so make sure to read up so you know just how good it's getting.
- At the end of December 2020, Tinder's direct revenue reached $1.4 billion. (Tankovska, 2021)
- Regarding monthly visits, Tinder takes the third spot among online dating sites, with 59.1 million visits per month. (SEMrush, 2020)
- In 2015, Tinder reported an annual revenue of $47 million. (Tankovska, 2021; Match Group, 2020)
- At the end of December 2020, Tinder's direct revenue reached $1.4 billion. (Tankovska, 2021)
- As of 2018, Tinder contributed $805 million to the annual revenue of its parent company. The value is on par with the other revenue sources of Match Group, such as Match.com and OkCupid, which brought a combined revenue of $872 million. (Statista.com)
- The number of paying and non-paying users has been increasing steadily in the past three years and is projected to reach 9.29 million and 277.2 million, respectively, by the end of 2021. (Tinder, 2021)
- Between 2014 and 2019, Tinder's revenue has grown 920 percent to cross 2.2 billion dollars. (Match Group, 2020)
Tinder User Base Statistics
If you're planning to use Tinder or are already a user, you should know its demographic and see what sorts of people also use. These Tinder user statistics will help you find out if it's got the crowd for you.
- In 2013 summer, Tinder released the Android version. By 2014, the app was a mix of college and other age groups. Yet, 50 percent of the users were still college students. (Sutori)
- 42% of Tinder users interviewed in this study were married or in a relationship. Meanwhile, 3% of them were divorced. Most of them are single, making 54% of the total Tinder users interviewed. (Global Web Index, 2015)
- Women only swipe right on about 5% of men on Tinder. (The Bold Italic)
- 12% of men and 0.01% of women Tinder users identify as homosexual or bisexual (Queen Mary/Sapienza/Royal Ottawa Health Care)
- The number of times users open the app has declined from 2018 to 2019 by around 10.8%, i.e., from 4.5 times to 4.1 times. (Datingsitereviews.com)
- 35% of all Tinder users are between the ages of 18 and 24. (Business of Apps,2020)
- In the same duration, the percentage of the users on the app who have it installed and open it daily also decreased from 28 to 22.1 percent. (Datingsitereviews.com)
- 13% of adults in the US between the ages of 18 and 65+ have used Tinder as of April 2020. (Tankovska, 2021; Morning Consult, 2020)
- Of all the people matched with, only 50% of users meet together. (Datingsitereviews.com)
Tinder Usage Statistics
Tinder, the most popular dating app, will give you many chances to find your match. But do you know just how many people use it? These Tinder usage statistics will tell you just how many people use it - and how likely it is you'll find your match.
- In March 2014, Tinder recorded 1 billion swipes happening daily by the end of the first quarter. In the third quarter of 2014, Tinder released 'Moments,' allowing users to share pictures with their matches. (Sutori)
- During its early years, Tinder statistics match reached an average of four million per day. (Colao)
- Tinder Boost costs anywhere between 2 to 6 dollars for a one-time purchase, and 9 PM on a Sunday is the best time to use it. Popular app usage timings are between 5 pm to 10 pm every day. (Photofeeler)
- Tinder reported that up to 1.6 billion swipes are registered daily on Tinder. (Tinder, 2021)
- Since the launch of the app, 20 billion matches have been made on the platform. (BusinessofApps)
- In 2020, Tinder became the most downloaded dating app on Android devices, recording almost 2.6 million downloads within a year. (Tankovska, 2021)
- The average number of users grew by 12% during the last quarter of 2020, bringing the number of Tinder subscribers to 10.9 million. (Tankovska, 2021; Morning Consult, 2020)
- Using Tinder's gender feature, more than 145 new matches have been made as of 2020. (Tinder, 2020)
- Tinder's consumer spending ranked first among dating apps in 2020 and second among non-gaming apps after Netflix. (App Annie, 2021)
- Tinder was also the most popular dating app worldwide as of January 2021, with over six million monthly downloads. (Tankovska, 2021; Morning Consult, 2020)
Tinder Accounts and Features Statistics
Tinder is constantly updating its site and apps to aid users in their quest to find the perfect match. But just how much has it changed since its debut? Find out here!
- In 2017, Tinder released Tinder Gold with advanced added features. Tinder Plus users have to pay an additional 5 dollars to enjoy the features. It costs 15 dollars a month on a year-on-year basis and 30 dollars monthly on a monthly renewal. It is also offering a one-time purchase plan. (Sutori)
- According to various Tinder rates, Super Likes triple the probability of a match. (FeeDough / Refinery29)
- In 2020, Tinder made its Passport feature free amidst the COVID-19 global pandemic. (Insider)
- According to analyses, the best time to use Tinder Boost is in the evening. (Boost Masters)
- Facepalm emoji saw a 41% increase in usage in 2019, making it one of the most used emojis for bios that year. (Datingsitereviews.com)
- The number of swipes on Tinder broke the record by reaching three billion in a single day in March 2020. (PEOPLE.com)
- It's estimated that no more than 20% of all profiles on Tinder are fake. (NordVPN)
- 95% of Tinder matches meet within 2 to 7 days of matching (Modern Dating Myths)
Why People Use Tinder (4 Reasons)
People use Tinder all for a general purpose: to meet and match with a person they couldn't have met otherwise. But what makes the Tinder app stand out? One reason is that it's trendy and mainstream. Another is that it helps you locate other singles within your geographic area. You create a Tinder bio, upload photos and start swiping. While the use is the same, there are a lot of reasons why people use Tinder. Let's look into more detailed reasons as to why people use Tinder.
1. Love and Casual Sex (Sumter, Vandenbosch, and Ligtenberg 2016)
People use Tinder to find both love and casual sex. It's still a dating app even if it has gained the reputation of a hook-up app. You create a profile and say something about yourself in the bio, then upload pictures representing you. Then, you let it be seen by others looking for a companion. Some of those people want a serious date, and others just want to have casual sex. With a multitude of features, it makes hooking up much easier and more accessible.
2. Need for validation of one's physical appearance (Sumter, Vandenbosch, and Ligtenberg 2016)
You choose your Tinder match based on physical appearance. The more likes you get, the better your self-validation will be. Tinder Gold and Platinum users can access the feature 'Likes You.'
It enables the Tinder member to view how many likes they have. People will swipe to the right if they find your picture attractive or appealing to their taste. Therefore, the more likes you have, the more attractive you are. Daters upload their best pictures to get the most attention from potential matches.
However, that also means that dating can be tough because we impose these standards on ourselves. Dating has become a competition for attractiveness because of this. Some people go too far for these reasons; they do too much editing of photos, or worse, use somebody else's image. Some caution is advised when swiping right.
3. Search for Excitement (Sumter, Vandenbosch, and Ligtenberg 2016)
Tinder is popular, and others download the app to see what the fuss is all about. How can a dating app satisfy your search for excitement?
It helps you communicate and meet other people. After work, when you're done checking Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, there's nothing left to check. This is the time to go to Tinder, and look for potential matches! And, if you're a match with somebody, you can chat with them!
There's this excitement of befriending strangers that is exciting to many people. Then, add the fact that the app bases the potential matches on your location and preference, and you're likely to find deeper connections.
4. Ease of communication (Sumter, Vandenbosch, and Ligtenberg 2016)
It is a big plus if the dating app is user-friendly. We want something that is easy, direct and fulfills its purpose.
Finding a date traditionally may not be possible for certain types of people. You have to go to a place where other people gather, like a bar, an event, or a party. Then, you have to introduce yourself and have small talk. The last option is if a friend of yours introduces you to another single person they know. What if you're not the type who hangs out in a bar by yourself?
That's the reason why others prefer to use dating apps. You can meet other people and chat through the app in the comfort of your own home. Through the chat feature, you can determine immediately if you 'click' rather than going on a blind date where you don't know what to expect. The app allows you to get to know the person just a little bit before you go on a date with them.
Tinder Race and Political Views Statistics
Some people prefer those of a specific race due to their characteristics and culture. If you're one of them, these tinder stats will be helpful.
- Hispanics are more likely to be consumers or former consumers (18% and 40% of users, respectively) than blacks (11% and 36%) or white Americans (11% and 33%). (Morning Consult)
- Data on users' attitudes toward loyalty policies is curious: 72% of respondents believe Tinder is the most racially diverse dating app, and 77% of Tinder users do not differentiate themselves about the race or skin color of those they meet when using the app.
- In terms of political stance, 16% of Tinder users identified themselves as Liberals; meanwhile, 13% indicated that they were Conservatives. Furthermore, there were at least 7% who identified as Moderates. (Morning Consult, 2020)
- Only 11% of Tinder users were White, which is approximately the same percentage of African American users on the platform. (Tankovska, 2021; Morning Consult, 2020)
Tinder Users vs. Competitors Statistics
When choosing a dating app, there are factors we should consider. One among the others, it should be the best choice for having a successful search for love!
Leaders by Percentage of Paying Customers (Statista, 2020)
- 51% – Tinder
- 32% – Bumble
- 31% – Match
- 28% – harmony
- 24% – OkCupid
- 21% – Plenty of Fish (POF)
- 20% – Hinge
- 17% – Grindr
- 15% – Badoo
- 15% – Coffee Meets Bagel
Leaders by Monthly Downloads as of January 2021 (AppMagic, 2021)
- 6.44 million – Tinder
- 3.29 million – Badoo
- 1.8 million – Bumble
- 867.5 thousand – happen
- 554.65 thousand – Hinge
- 448.08 thousand – OkCupid
- 279.8 thousand – Match
- 118.9 thousand – Inner Circle
- 84.51 thousand – Coffee Meets Bagel
- 81.69 thousand – harmony
Leading Online Dating Sites by Monthly Visits (SEMrush, 2020)
- 192.5 million – Badoo
- 103.8 million – Plenty of Fish
- 59.1 million – Tinder
- 53.8 million – Match.com
- 34.9 million – OkCupid
- 30.7 million – Zoosk
- 16.1 million – Ashley Madison
- 15 million – OurTime
- 13.2 million – MeetMe
- 10.1 million – Shaadi
Top Cities Using Tinder
Visiting a different city or country can be overwhelming, especially alone. Tinder is a great tool for making friends among the locals of the town you're going to visit. It is normal to have a fear of the unknown, and having a friend in that new place can help you adjust more smoothly.
- London, England
- New York City, New York
- Berlin, Germany
- Moscow, Russia
- Stockholm, Sweden
- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Sydney, Australia
More Statistics Articles
After looking through the Tinder statistics, have you decided if it's the one for you? We have our own preferences, and you need to find the one that best suits your taste. After all, it is your love life we're talking about!
- Power dressing is one way to impress prospective employers or dates. Read this dressing for success statistics to help you achieve your goals.
- These marriage statistics might just convince you to tie the knot or not.
- Are you meant to be or not? The online dating race statistics will give you an idea of your compatibility with others worldwide.
- Read the Bumble statistics and find out which dating app suits you better.