Jasper | Oct 20, 2020 | 0
155 Dating Statistics  – The Ultimate List of Dating Studies
New? Start here. | This post contains affiliate links. That means that we receive a commission for purchases made on them (more info).
With dating statistics taken from a huge variety of surveys and scientific studies, we can approach the question of how to get a girlfriend by understanding how the world of dating works in real life.
These dating statistics reveal a lot about dating behaviors and preferences, and can help you figure out the things women find attractive by understanding women and what they’ve already told us they’re looking for.
So if all your dating facts come from your own experiences, use these dating statistics to get an idea of the bigger picture and have more success meeting women and finding relationships.
These surveys and studies reveal how both men and women feel about different kinds of relationships. You can use these relationship and dating statistics guide your dating behaviors and understand the trends in modern romance.
17 Dating Statistics
- From a survey of 1000 women, 48% of women responded that they want men who are romantic. (Men’s Health, 2015)
- 26% of women believe in true love. (Everyday Health, 2014)
- Only 28% of women believe in love at first sight. (The Normal Bar, 2012)
- 93% of women prefer to be asked out on a date.
- 6% of women prefer to ask a man out.
- While 83% of men prefer to do the asking, a total of 16% of men prefer to be asked out by women.
- 10% of men might be waiting for a woman to ask them out on a date. (Psychology Today, 2011)
- Of 171 men and women surveyed, only 18.5% of women were first to say ‘I love you’ in a relationship. (Journal of Social Psychology, 2011)
- Of 15,000 men and women surveyed, 88% of women said they are very committed to their partners. (Wave III-National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health)
- About 57% of women and 51% of men said they are almost certain that their current relationship will be permanent.
- 5% of men and 3% women are not committed to their partners. (Add Health, 2002)
- 51% of women choose relationships over careers compared to 61% of men who would do the same. (CNN, 2008)
- Of 2000 adults surveyed, 52% of women want to see good manners, 42% want men to ask a lot of questions, 26% want men to pay for their meal, 27% want a man who enjoys his meal, 17% are fine with being a little drunk. (TGI Friday’s, 2015)
- Of 5000 men and women surveyed, 65% of women said kissing is appropriate on a first date, while 56% said cuddling is also appropriate. (Singles in America, 2012)
- Of 2,236 American men and women surveyed, 25% of women prefer to date a man living alone, 9% would date a guy who lives with his roommates.
- 37% prefer to date someone who has a house in the suburbs, 54% do not mind whether a guy owns or rents a home, only 4% prefer to date someone who still lives with their parents.
- 34% of women are “willing” or “very willing” to move in with their significant other to save money, while 30% are “not at all willing.” (Trulia, 2012)
7 Dating Statistics On Online Dating
- Off all online dating users, 47.6% are women and 54% are men.
- 17% of all 2015 marriages started with online dating. (Statistic Brain, 2016)
- The average courtship for marriages of people who met online was 18.5 months, as opposed to 42 months for those who met offline.
- 21% of women sent a message after matching with a profile while only 7% of men did the same.(Cornell University, 2016)
- 93% of women only swipe right on profiles they are attracted to.
- 33% of men said they “casually like most profiles” even when they are not attracted. (Cornell University, 2016)
- Only 53% of women wrote back to men who message them first. (Cornell University, 2016)
10 Marriage Statistics
- 56% of women say living together is important to make sure they are compatible before marriage. (He Says, She Says: Gender and Cohabitation, 2011)
- 84% of women prefer a romantic proposal over a fancy ring. (Men’s Health, 2007)
- Of nearly 1500 married or engaged men and women surveyed, 60% of women said they want their future husbands to ask permission from their parents before proposing, 32% believe having no ring in a proposal is one of the biggest mistakes men can make, 47% want the proposal to be a surprise, 57% want the photo of the ring shared on Facebook, and only 4% say a big carat sized ring is important. (Men’s Health, 2012)
- 39% of young women believe that having a successful marriage is one of the most important things in their life.
- 48% of adults view a successful marriage as very important but not the most important.
- For 53% of adults, being a parent is the most important. (Pew Research Center, 2011)
- In a survey of women and girls aged 7-21, 46% say marriage as the gold standard success.
- In 2010, the marriage rate increased 3.7% to 241,000 marriages. (Telegraph, 2012)
- 64% of women prefer a husband who earns more money than they do.
- 69% of women would want to stay at home with their children if money was not a problem. (Daily Mail, 2011)
Since the dawn of time man has been obsessed with two big questions:
What is the meaning of life?
Thankfully, someone finally had the bright idea to go right to the dating statistics source and ask women what they’re looking for directly. These dating statistics tell us what women are looking for and what they’re attracted to, helping you know what to work on and how to make the best impression.
21 Qualities of a Good Man
- Of 2000 women surveyed, about 66% want guys who make them feel safe.
- 62% want someone who trusts them.
- 50% want a man who says ‘I love you’ when he feels it.
- 47% want a man who sees her as his equal.
- 39% want men who remind them they’re beautiful.
- 38% want a man who doesn’t forget birthdays or anniversaries.
- 33% said someone who is not needy and insecure.
- 31% want a man who respects their privacy.
- 28% want a man who always put the trash out.
- 25% want a man who makes an effort to get to know her friends.
- 24% want a man who laughs at her jokes.
- 23% want men who do not check out other women.
- 22% want men to make them coffee.
- 22% want a man who wants sex more than once a week.
- 17% want a man who likes her cooking more than his mom’s.
- 14% want a man who likes their mom.
- 14% want a man who does not “like” random women’s pictures on social media.
- 12% want a man who doesn’t leave the car without petrol. (Carnival Cruise Lines, 2016)
- Of 5,481 men and women surveyed, 84% of women want a guy who treats them with respect, 77% want a man they can trust, 47% prefer a man who shares the same values, and 46% want a man who is not afraid of communicating what he wants and needs. (Match, 2013)
- Among 1000 women asked what makes a man hot, 84% of women said faithfulness, 53% said paying attention, 66% said moral integrity, 75% said dependability, 67% said kindness, 53% said intelligence, 51% said father-like qualities, 46% said passion about what they love, 41% said confidence, 38% said generosity, 35% said being good in bed, 30% said a good sense of style, and 26% said a handsome face. (Men’s Health, 2015)
- Of almost 10,000 women surveyed, 72% expect men to open the door for them, 42% expect their man to get the check, 23% expect him to help with their chair, 33% expect him to help them with their jacket, and only 10% expect men to stand up when they leave the table. (The Survey of the American Woman, 2010)
2 Attractive Parts of a Man
- 11% of women admire a man’s eyes, 39% admire a man’s butt, 13% are attracted to a flat stomach, 3% admire the neck. (Static Brain Research Institute, 2016)
- Of 108 women surveyed, 24% are attracted to a guy’s well toned arms, 19% are attracted to broad shoulders, 18% are attracted to a sexy back, 15% are attracted to a guy’s v-cut, 9% are attracted to abs, 7% are attracted to a man’s butt, 5% are attracted to muscular legs, and 2% are attracted to a man’s chest. (GQ, 2016)
1 First Things Women Notice on a Guy
- Of almost 10,000 women, 49% notice a man’s eyes, 15% notice his body, 14% look at his hair, 4% notice the guy’s girlfriend, and only 2% notice his shoes. (The Survey of the American Woman, 2010)
4 Men With Money
- In a study of 28,000 heterosexuals, 97% of women believe that it is essential to have a partner who has a steady income, and 69% said that it is important to have a partner who makes or will make a lot of money. (Personality and Individual Differences, 2015)
- For wives who were asked what makes their husband more attractive, 73% said being open to communicating about finances, 93% said financially responsibility, 91% said paying the bills on time, and 75% said maintaining a budget. (Experian Consumer Services, 2014)
- 64% of women prefer to find a husband who earns more money.(Daily Mail, 2011)
- For 29% of women, a successful husband or boyfriend is the second highest status symbol. (Cosmopolitan, 2010)
These dating statistics tell us what physical, emotional, and lifestyle traits women find most attractive. Chances are you have more of these qualities than you realized.
17 What Girls Like
- 91% of women prefer the clean shaven look for guys.
- Guys who shave their facial hair had 74% of right swipes on Tinder.
- Of 100,000 across America, well groomed men got 37% more matches. (Gillette, 2015)
- Of nearly 10,000 women surveyed, only 8% prefer men who have full beards, 45% prefer guys with stubble on their faces, and 47% prefer a man with a clean shaven face. (Survey of American Women, 2010)
- 5% of women are attracted to a guy’s height. (Static Brain Research Institute, 2016)
- 73% of women prefer to date guys taller than 5’9”. (GQ, 2015)
- 48.9% of women want to date men who are much taller than them. (Telegraph, 2014)
- Out of 382 college students surveyed, only about 4% of women would date men shorter than they are. (Medical Daily, 2014)
- From data collected by 470 female dating ads, 49% of women prefer to date tall men because they feel more feminine and protected.
- Out of 131 women surveyed in a related study, 55% of women preferred taller men. (Journal of Family Issues, 2014)
- 63% of women believe tall men are sexier than short men.
- 71% of women say that the ideal height for a partner is between 6 feet and 6’6″. (Daily Mail, 2013)
- Of 5,481 men and women surveyed, 58% of women want a guy who makes them laugh. (Match, 2013)
- 42.9% of women give out their numbers to men who are funny.
- Men who were funny were refused 57.1% of the time.
- Men who didn’t use humor were accepted only by 15.4% of the time and were refused 84.6% of the time. (Mating Intelligence Unleashed: The Role of the Mind in Sex, Dating, and Love, 2013)
- Women are three times more likely to give their number to guys who tell jokes. (Psychology Today, 2011)
10 Sexiest Jobs for Men
- 6% of women are attracted to men who have careers in the medical/dental/veterinary fields.
- 6% are attracted to men in the legal field.
- 4% are attracted to men who are self-employed.
- 4% are attracted to guys in politics or the military.
- 5% are attracted to teachers and professors.
- 5% are attracted to men working in technical/computers/engineering field.
- 5% are attracted to men in financial services.
- 5% are attracted to men in the executive/management.
- 4% are attracted to guys in advertising and media.
- 4% are attracted to men in the sales and marketing industry. (Match, 2015)
3 Male Body Type Women Find Most Attractive
- Out of 10 women surveyed, 40% of women were attracted to men who have a well toned frame. (Daily Mail, 2016)
- About 51% of women find pudgy men attractive (GQ, 2015)
- About 58% of women prefer men who have slender bodies. (Personality and Individual Differences, 2016)
3 Men Who Have Pets
- Women were 3 times more likely to give their phone numbers to men walking their dogs than those who are alone. (Men’s Health, 2015)
- Women were twice as likely to judge a guy based on how they treat their dogs.
- Women were more than twice as likely to say they were attracted to someone because they have a pet. (The Roles of Pet Dogs and Cats in Human Courtship and Dating, 2015)
Before you go shopping for your girl or for yourself, check out these dating statistics on the things women want most and the things they’d love to see you in.
9 Gifts Women Like To Get
- Of 150 women asked what type of jewelry they want to receive, 42.6% want to receive a necklace, 30.9% want earrings, 14.2% prefer bracelets and only 12.3% want a non-engagement ring. (GQ, 2016)
- Of almost 10,000 women surveyed, 11% want jewelry. (The Survey of the American Woman, 2010)
- For almost 10,000 women surveyed, 2% want lingerie. (The Survey of the American Woman, 2010)
- Of 150 women surveyed, about 30.1% said they want to get perfume, 17.8% want expensive face cream or serum, 16.6% want to get body lotion, and 15.3% want bath products.(GQ, 2016)
- Of 150 women surveyed, a total of 46.3% wanted a framed piece of art, 39% said a book, 54.5% wanted to receive plane tickets, 19.4% wanted concert tickets, 12.1% wanted a couples’ day spa, 12.1% wanted a restaurant reservation, 6.9% wanted records, 4.3% said a subscription to her favorite magazine, 3.7% wanted a complete set of her favorite shows, and 1.8% wanted an educational workshop they can go to together. (GQ, 2016)
- Of 150 women asked what clothing items they want their man to give them, 27.2% wanted lingerie, 24.7% wanted a sweater, 24.1% wanted pajamas, 12.3% wanted a pair of sneakers and 4.3% prefered to receive a hat and gloves. (GQ, 2016)
- Of almost 10,000 women surveyed, 81% want a trip or a vacation with their man and 5% want an Xbox. (The Survey of the American Woman, 2010)
- 80% of people want to receive something on Valentine’s Day.
- 57% of women expect to have dinner, 48% expect sex, 48% expect a Hallmark card, 47% want flowers, and 47% want chocolates. (RetailMeNot, 2016)
22 Clothes Women Find Sexy on Guys
- Of 1,085 American men and women surveyed, 64% believe that women are more likely to marry a man who is well dressed than a man who is not.
- 78% of women believe that dressing well is the hottest thing a man can do while 85% think that a man who dresses well is sexier than a man who has a lot of money.
- 63% of women prefer a man in a suit to a man in a uniform.
- 80% of women are ready to give up everything just to have a better dressed partner. (Well Dressed Men Survey, 2011)
- Of 200 women surveyed, 64.5% prefer boxer briefs on a man, 19.5% prefer boxers on a man, 11.5% prefer trunks, and only 5% find briefs attractive. (GQ, 2016)
- 35.5% of women believe men look best in sneakers, 6.5% said suede bucks, and 19.4% said shiny dress shoes. (Esquire, 2006)
- 42% of women said the plain white T is their favorite on a guy, 41.9% prefer a dress shirt with French cuffs, 12.9% want men wearing a short sleeved polo shirts, and only 3.2 % want their man in a revealing tank top. (Esquire, 2006)
- 80.6% of women prefer Levi’s on a man, 6.5% prefer chinos, 9.7% prefer suit pants, and 3.2% said they prefer men to wear board shorts. (Esquire, 2006)
- Of 800 women surveyed on what shoes men should wear more often, 26% said leather loafers, 15% said wingtip dress shoes, 14% said trainers, 13% said running shoes, 9% said leather sandals, 8% said rubber flip flops, and 7% said cowboy boots. (Men’s Health, 2015)
- Of 800 women asked what men should wear on the first date, 56% said “something casual but chic”, 27% said casual Friday style (khakis or dress pants, dress shirt), 7% said casual (jeans, T-shirt, hoodie), 6% want men to wear what they wore from work (suit or blazer, minus the tie). (Men’s Health, 2015)
- Of 800 women asked what pants they want men to wear, 54% said faded vintage style jeans, 85% want flat front pants, 34% want dark, clean denim jeans, 5% want tight, George Michael-style jeans, 4% want baggy hip-hop-style pants, and 3% want men in ripped, rock ‘n’ roll style pants. (Men’s Health, 2015)
- Of more than 200 women surveyed on what men should wear to a wedding, 67.6% said wingtips, 22.1% said suede tips, 8.5% prefer loafers, and 1.9% said men should wear driving loafers. (GQ, 2016)
- Of more than 200 women surveyed on what to wear on weekends, 46.3% said slip on sneakers, 24.8% want men to wear boat shoes, 20.1% said desert boots, and 8.9% prefer men to wear driving loafers. (GQ, 2016)
- Of more than 200 women surveyed on what to wear at the beach, about 51.4% of women think men should wear flip flops, 20.6% prefer espadrilles, 15% said Jesus sandals, and only 13.1% said shower slides. (GQ, 2016)
- Of more than 200 women surveyed, 40.7% said wearing cap toe dress shoes make the best impression at the office, 29.4% said plain toe dress shoes, 22% prefer wing tip shoes, and 7.9% believe men should wear monk straps. (GQ, 2016)
- Of 387 women surveyed, 19.6% would be very attracted to a man wearing a suit on the first date. (Bows-N-Ties, 2013)
- Of 800 women surveyed, 63% think men who wear scarves are hot, 33% find men irresistible when they wear cashmere, and 48% prefer men to wear their “casual Friday best” when meeting her parents. (Men’s Health, 2015)
- Of 800 women surveyed, 23% said that men should wear green more often, and 48% said men who wear pink are hot and confident. (Men’s Health, 2015).
- Women find men to be 12% more attractive when wearing a plain white T shirt. (Telegraph, 2013)
- Out of 2000 men and women surveyed, 11% of women favored men in blue, 21% want men in black, 6% prefer men to wear pink, 13% wanted the classic white T, and 36% said they would say yes if a man wearing a purple shirt asks them. (Ariel, 2012)
- Of 1000 people surveyed, 52% of women find the deep v-neck shirt sexy, 45% like men’s bags, 68% like plaid shirts on men, 62% find men wearing “jorts” cool, and only 32% like suspenders on men. (Ebay Deals, 2014)
- For 67.7% of women, rugged jeans and a plain white T-shirt are sexy, but for 22.6% a tuxedo is the sexiest thing men can wear. (Esquire, 2006)
7 Things That Impress A Woman
- Women rated men who are good story tellers 29% more attractive than those who are not. (Personal Relationships, 2016)
- Of 1,000 women surveyed, 23% find men who can cook and clean hot. (Men’s Health, 2015)
- 45% percent of women in Cambridge find men who can play guitars irresistible.
- 90% of Brits find people who can play the guitar well sexy.
- 33% of men tried to impress someone by learning how to play the guitar.
- 25% of UK’s population admitted to dating someone solely because they can play the guitar. (eBay, 2014)
- 76% of women are attracted to male athletes. (Pop Sugar, 2009)
Just as important as knowing what women like is knowing the turn offs for women that you want to avoid. These dating statistics focus mostly on attitudes and characteristics, meaning if some items of these describe you, you still have the ability to make them better.
22 What Makes A Man Unattractive
- From 5,003 men and women surveyed about financial deal breakers, 25.1% of women said being secretive about finances is a deal breaker, 20.2% said overspending, 20% said debt, 14.1% responded cheapness, 11.8% said poor credit, and 8.8% said earning a low income. (Go Banking Rates, 2016)
- Among 833 people surveyed, 87% of women said they are turned off by a man with body odor on a date. (Oxygen Media, 2013)
- Of 5000 single men and women surveyed, 71% of women said an unclean appearance is a deal breaker. (Singles In America, 2012)
- 54% of women agree that poor grooming is a deal breaker. (Remington, 2009)
- 72% of women believe laziness is the most unappealing trait.
- 71% said a disheveled appearance in men is a turn off.
- 69% don’t like needy men.
- 32% don’t like stubborn men.
- 58% said humorless is a turn off.
- 47% said living far away a deal breaker.
- 47% said lack confidence is unattractive.
- 47% don’t like couch potates.
- 27% don’t want a man with a low sex drive.
- 34% consider stubborn men unappealing.
- 20% don’t like talkative men.
- 17% said men who are too blunt a turn off.
- 17% are turned off by men who are too quiet.
- 12% would not date a guy who has kids.
- 10% wouldn’t date a guy who is too athletic.
- 6% said they find someone who is not athletic enough a deal breaker. (Relationship Deal-breakers: Traits People Avoid in Potential Mates, 2015)
- 15% of women said not wanting kids is a deal breaker and 50% consider bad sex a deal breaker. (Singles In America, 2012)
- 75% of women would not date a guy who doesn’t like pets. (PetSmart and Match, 2015)
With all the information contained in these dating statistics, you should be understanding women at least a little bit better – meaning you can use these dating facts to help you figure out how to get a girlfriend with the confidence of empirical data.
Hopefully the info from these dating statistics and dating studies shows that women don’t have to be a mystery, and that you already know how to attract a girl without needing to be someone you aren’t.
So as you conduct your studies about dating let this info improve your personal dating statistics.