Robin Sutherns | Sep 16, 2021 | 0
132 Best Fun Interview Questions - Tips and what you need to know.
New? Start here.
Fun interview questions?
Guys, doesn't this sound like a load of … you know… bull?An oxymoron, even. Like a pleasant root canal.
A bunch of people over at Everest College say job interviews are fear-inducing. And get this … this is actually based on solid research.
It doesn’t have to be this way.
The thing is … it’s your job as the recruiter to create a fun and relaxing environment. It helps calm the nerves, and you get to know the candidate better.
Asking canned interview questions like “tell me about yourself” is at best ineffective.
(Somebody, kill this question already!)
They’ll just regurgitate what they’ve been rehearsing all week. After all, interviews are all about putting on a performance.
We have a bunch of questions to ask that can actually make an interview a more enjoyable and meaningful experience for everyone.
10 Best Fun Interview Questions
The rock star candidate you’ve all been waiting for is finally here.
They’re visibly nervous. And you’re stressed … probably because you desperately want them to be the right fit.
We’ll help you get off on the right foot with our list of fun questions to ask candidates during an interview.
Here are the 10 best fun interview questions:
1. On A Scale Of 1-10, How lucky do you think you are?
How often are they prepared to grab opportunities when they arise?
2. When You’re Having A Bad Day, What Do You Do To Make Yourself Feel Better?
Are they self-aware and can they keep their emotions in check?
3. Who would win a fight between Spiderman and Batman?
This is a personality probe. This gives the candidate an opportunity to show some humor and connect with you.
4. How would you convince someone to do something they didn’t want to do?
Are they persuasive without denigrating other team members?
5. What do you work toward in your free time?
Do they like playing chess? Maybe they’re critical thinkers.
6. How would you rate your memory?
Does the job require an excellent memory recall?
7. Teach me something I don’t know in the next five minutes.
Can they think on their feet?
8. What’s Your Dream Job?
Does their dream job line up with the job they’re auditioning for?
9. If you could trade places with any other person for a week, famous or not, living or dead, real or fictional, with whom would it be?
Do the traits of the person they pick align with what you’re looking for?
10. Are you a hunter or a gatherer?
Does the job require a hunter or a gatherer?
15 Fun get to know you interview questions
The candidate has a resume so good it might as well have been printed on solid gold. But the goal is to feel that you genuinely connected with the person beyond their iron … (err, gold) … clad resume.
You want to know what they’re really like.
Our collection of “get to know you questions” will help you do just that.
Here are 15 fun get to know you interview questions:
11. What do you want to be when you grow up?
Do your career goals align with the job?
12. What are you known for?
What is their strongest quality?
13. Teach me something I don’t know in the next five minutes.
A curve ball to test their creativity.
14. If you had to change your name, what would your new name be, and why would you choose that name?
Can they think on their feet and argue out a point?
15. If You Could Choose Your Own Nickname, What Would It Be?
Can they get silly and have some fun?
16. What Song Do You Have To Sing Along With When You Hear It?
What inspires them?
17. What is the most interesting thing about your nature?
Are they interesting and well rounded?
18. Skill, talent, and money – Which one would you choose among these 3?
Are they here for the money?
19. What is the best compliment you have ever been told?
What good traits have others seen in them?
20. Are you someone who is an introvert or an extrovert? Or, an ambivert?
Whatever they choose should align with the position they’re applying for.
21. What’s The First Thing You Do When You Get Home From A Trip?
Do they travel a lot? And do they follow a routine?
22. Would You Rather Have More Time Or More Money?
Is money their first priority when making a career change?
23. It’s Saturday Morning. What’s The First Thing You Do When You Wake Up?
What do they value in life outside of work?
24. What’s Something About You That People Would Be Surprised To Know?
What can they tell you about themselves that’s not on their CV?
25. If You Had To Describe Yourself Using Three Words, It Would Be…
Are they authentic and self-aware?
11 Fun personal interview questions
Personality plays a big role in the workplace. It’s more important than skills.
You see… skills can be taught. We can’t say the same for personality.
The candidate’s personality will shine through when asked the right personal questions. We have some fun personal interview questions for you.
Here are 11 fun personal interview questions:
26. When You’re Having A Bad Day, What Do You Do To Make Yourself Feel Better?
Will they let their emotions get in the way of their job?
27. What was the last gift you gave someone?
Are they smart, thoughtful, and generous?
28. What is the funniest thing that has happened to you recently?
Do they have a sense of humor?
29. Which two organizations outside your own do you know the most people at and why?
Do they network with other people in the industry outside their workplace?
30. If Your Life Was A Movie, What Songs Would Be On The Soundtrack?
What lights a fire in their hearts?
31. If You Had to Live in A Different State, What Would It Be?
Helps you figure out their interests and passions
32. If You Could Shop for Free At One Store, Which One Would You Choose?
Everyone has a favorite.
33. Have you done anything daring ever?
Do they take risks?
34. What do you do in your spare time?
Do they have hobbies that might affect their work positively or negatively?
35. Do you have any weird hobby?
A great opportunity for some comic relief.
36. If You Could Marry A Fictional Character, Who Would It Be and Why?
Figure out what kind of values they admire.
12 Fun interview questions for manager
Hiring a manager?
You want to focus on questions that bring out their leadership qualities. Our collection of interview questions for manager will enable you to identify a star player for your organization.
Here are 12 fun interview questions for manager:
37. Do You Feel Like A Leader Or A Follower?
Can they take up a leadership position?
38. Any advice for your previous boss?
Do they have anything good to say about them?
39. Pretend you’re our CEO. What three concerns about the firm’s future keep you up at night?
Do they understand the organization and its vision?
40. What do you do when someone passes a bad remark about you?
How do they handle conflict at the workplace?
41. How do you approach a stranger?
Are they confident? And can they work in marketing?
42. Are you health conscious or weight conscious?
Find out something about their self-image.
43. How do you tackle difficult situations?
Do they have the right temperament?
44. Have you ever scolded anyone?
What’s their management style and how do they handle challenging interpersonal situations?
45. How willing were you to grow up quickly?
Are they independent thinkers?
46. What do you want to learn as soon as you can?
Find out if they have aspirations to grow and learn?
47. What is the secret of your successful life?
This will give you a sense of the candidates work ethic, goals, and overall personality.
48. Are You A Listener Or A Talker?
Can they work well in a team?
9 Fun phone interview questions
Vetting candidates over the phone prior to arranging an in real life meeting saves a ton of time and money. But to be effective, you need to ask the right questions.
Sounds tough, huh?
Don’t sweat it. We have your back. Check out our collection of fun phone interview questions.
Here are 9 fun phone interview questions:
49. Is there any product that you never leave your house without?
The one thing they cannot live without gives you a sneak peek into their personality.
50. What is your perception of love and life?
Do they have a family or do they intend to have one?
51. What is the most interesting thing about the internet?
Great way to build rapport with the candidate. It can steer the conversation to unexpected places.
52. Which is your favorite quote?
Who inspires them and why?
53. What would you do if you won the lottery?
What’s their attitude towards money? Would they quit if they suddenly landed a windfall?
54. Are you an adventurous person?
Are they willing to take risks by venturing into the unknown?
55. Do you love your complexion?
Do they have insecurities about their looks?
56. Have you ever gifted yourself anything?
Do they set goals and reward themselves after reaching them?
57. What is the most amusing thing in your life?
Great ice breaker.
10 Fun hypothetical interview questions
Let me guess… you want to find out if a prospective employee can think on their feet, huh?
Asking hypothetical questions is one way to go about it. It lays bare their analytical and people skills.
Here are 10 fun hypothetical interview questions:
58. Say you are dead — what would your eulogy say about you?
What are their notable achievements?
59. Would you rather be deaf or blind?
Put their critical thinking skills to the test.
60. Would you rather forget who you were or who everyone else was?
Timely for when the interview gets monotonous.
61. If you could really sell your soul to the devil, what would you sell it for?
Do they have a price?
62. I am something people buy. They all buy me to eat me, but actually never eat me what am I?
A riddle a day keeps the anxiety away …
63. If you got to choose between fifty years of being incredibly happy or to live forever and be unhappy what would you choose?
Do they value longevity over happiness at the workplace?
64. If a genie offered you 3 wishes, what would you wish for?
What are their hearts greatest desire?
65. Would you rather have to say everything that comes to your mind or never say anything again?
What’s their personality type? Are they reserved or confrontational?
66. If it had to always be daytime or always nighttime, which would you pick, and why?
A great way to keep the conversation going.
67. If you could go back and be any age you want for a month, what would you choose?
What’s their most outstanding memory?
10 Fun and funny interview questions
You want the interview to be fun and relaxed. What better way than to ask funny interview questions?
Funny questions can help you build a strong professional bond with the prospective employee.
Here are 10 fun and funny interview questions:
68. Who's the cutest Disney Princess you know?
Pay attention to the values highlighted by the character they choose.
69. Why are manholes round?
Test their creative problem-solving skills.
70. You’ve been given an elephant. You can’t give it away or sell it. What would you do with it?
Throw in a curve ball and see how they deal with it.
71. If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be and why?
Can they hold their own when you throw them a curve ball?
72. If you won $10 million and had to spend it in 5 days, what would you buy? aside from going to an eat-all-you-can restaurant?
What would they do if they had all the money in the world? This highlights their character.
73. What is the most embarrassing thing you have ever worn?
A bit of comic relief…
74. What’s the most ridiculous fact you know?
A flat-out bizarre question to spice up the interview.
75. What is the funniest joke you know by heart?
If they have a good sense of humor, then you should have a bit of fun with this one.
76. What is the funniest corporate / business screw up you have heard of?
Faux pars are a dime a dozen in the corporate world.
77. What’s the first thing you do when you are bored?
What’s the one thing that always puts a smile on their face?
10 Fun and interesting interview questions
Boring interviews: they happen.
As a recruiter, it’s perfectly normal to have an off day. Your mind wanders, and you can’t piece together interesting questions to keep the candidate engaged.
But this is no excuse to deliver a dull-as-dishwater interview. Our list of interesting interview questions is just what the doctor ordered.
Here are 10 fun and interesting interview questions:
78. What would you name your boat if you had one?
Throw a spanner in the works when their answers seem rehearsed.
79. What’s a body part that you wouldn’t mind losing?
A great way to test their decision making. They’ll have to choose between a rock and a hard place many time in their career.
80. If You Were Told You Only Had One Week Left To Live, What Would You Do?
What are the things that really matter to them?
81. If you could fight with one fictional character, then who would be that person?
“Choose your opponent carefully …. Fight!” Did they pick a villain or a hero? Says a lot about them.
82. What are the 3 things you want to do before your death?
What are their top 3 goals?
83. Which superpower would you like to have?
What “superpower” would they be bringing on board if they got the job?
84. Where would you go in a time machine?
Are they interested in history?
85. Is there intelligent life in outer space?
A great opportunity to pick their brains.
86. As of right now, if you were to die, what would you leave me in your last will and testament?
This one is sure to get them laughing…
87. How many balls would fit into this room?
Focus on the logic behind their answer. Hint – there’s no right answer.
11 Fun but weird interview questions
Balking at the idea of asking weird interview questions? Our tried and tested fun but weird questions will change your mind.
Here are 11 fun but weird interview questions:
88. What’s the most useless talent you have?
Find out the one thing they are good at that they don’t think Is valuable?
89. Has anyone ever forced you to a job?
How strong-willed are they?
90. Does life fascinate you?
Do they face life with enthusiasm?
91. How do you weigh an elephant without using a weight machine?
See how well they handle this…
92. How would you get an elephant into a refrigerator?
Just like the previous question, there’s really no right answer. Observe how they handle it.
93. If Germans were the tallest people in the world, how would you prove it?
The logic behind their answer will tell you how smart they are.
94. How many cows are in Canada?
They probably don’t know, but an educated guess will do.
95. What do wood and alcohol have in common?
They should be able to point out a few.
96. How would you move Mount Fuji?
If they’re creative, they’ll knock this out of the park.
97. How many light bulbs are in this building?
Throw them off with this totally weird question.
98. What Is The Scariest Thing You Have Ever Done For Fun?
Do they live on the edge?
11 Fun icebreaker interview questions
Know what sucks most about interviews?
The stiffness and formality of it all. Icebreaker questions can help set the right tone.
Build rapport with job candidates using this collection of icebreaker interview questions.
Here are 11 fun icebreaker interview questions:
99. If you could do anything in the world as a career, what would it be?
Are they interviewing for their dream job?
100. If you were a Microsoft Office program, which one would you be?
Great way to calm the nerves before getting to the real questions.
101. What would the name of your debut album be?
This should be fun …
102. Would you rather become someone else or just stay you?
This says a lot about their self-image.
103. If You Can Instantly Become An Expert In Something, What Would It Be?
What would they be doing if they could turn back the clock?
104. As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
They should be able to tie in their dream to the career they eventually pursued.
105. What’s one thing we don’t know about you?
What can they point out that’s not in their CV?
106. Are you a good dancer?
Great way to get them to loosen up.
107. What’s the weirdest food you’ve ever eaten?
Do they play safe? Most people hardly try foods they’re not familiar with.
108. If you had to teach a class on one thing, what would you teach?
What are they effortlessly good at?
109. If You Had Your Own Talk Show, Who Would Your First Three Guests Be?
Who are their idols?
11 Fun but unique interview questions
Here are 11 fun but unique interview questions:
110. When did you screw everything up, but no one ever found out it was you?
Do they hide their failures?
111. If you had the option to never have to sleep again, or never have to eat again, which would you choose? Why?
If they had to choose between the devil and a hard place, what would they do? Listen to the logic behind their decision.
112. What fruit or vegetable would you most want to be?
Ask them why …
113. Are you a morning person or a night person?
When are they most productive?
114. What’s one career you wish you could have?
Would they change careers at the drop of a hat?
115. Are you a traveler or a homebody?
This might give you an insight into the kind of work they’d be good at.
116. What is your favorite time of the day and why?
When are they most productive?
117. What would your dream house be like?
What kind of life do they aspire to? Flashy or laid back?
118. Would you rather give up your smartphone or your computer?
Great question to strike a friendly conversation with the candidate.
119. If you could go to Mars, would you? Why or why not?
How wild is their imagination?
120. What’s the Most Courageous Thing You’ve Ever Done?
How far are they willing to stretch to achieve their goals?
121. If You Could Eliminate One Thing from Your Daily Routine, What Would It Be and Why?
What’s the one thing that they really hate to do?
11 Fun group interview questions
Group interviews can be tricky to maneuver. But as always, we have your back. Check out this tantalizing collection of group interview questions.
Here are 11 fun group interview questions:
122. Who is the most mischievous among your group?
This is sure to strike a debate.
123. What if you find yourself in the middle of an island with no communication system?
Great way to see how the group would cope with a difficult situation.
124. You are in charge of 20 people. How would you maintain the cooperation in your team?
This will bring to the fore those with leadership qualities.
125. Would you rather be the funniest or smartest person in the room?
Tricky question … Is there anybody volunteering to be the class clown?
126. How would you motivate the sad one on your team?
A good way to assess group dynamics and team play.
127. Funniest thing that you do on your work as a team.
Do they have inside jokes? Says a lot about the team chemistry.
128. Things that you can do for us in a funny but productive way.
Do they have fun working together?
129. Would you rather be working alone and watched by everyone, or working together while being watched by one?
Are they a team player?
130. How would you make us laugh in 5 minutes?
This is more about creativity than a sense of humor.
131. Show us comedy that represents our company name.
Sometimes it’s okay to goof around during an interview.
132. What Is Something You Can Do Better Than Anyone Else You Know?
What are they really good at?
How To Pick The Best Fun Interview Questions
You now have the questions…
Now to pick the best for the upcoming interview. How exactly do you go about it?
Here is how to pick the best fun interview questions:
1. Start with the end in mind
What kind of person do you want in your team? What qualities should they possess? Now pick out questions that can help bring these qualities to the fore during the interview. For example, you could go with “do you feel like a leader or a follower?” when you’re recruiting for a management position.
2. Avoid Obvious Questions
You can’t entirely avoid the common interview questions. But you can ask them in a more creative way. You don’t want to make hiring decisions off canned responses from candidates. Ask unexpected questions.
3. Make the Questions Fun
You won’t have a hard time doing this. Just pick some out from our list.
Downloadable and Printable List of Best Fun Interview Questions
Here is downloadable and printable list of Best Fun Interview Questions ( right click the image and select Save Image As ):
More Questions To Ask
We’re not done yet! We have additional interview tips for those who want to learn more.
Here they are:
- We have some conversation topics if you’re looking to form a more intimate bond with the candidates.
- We also have conversation starters to make the interview process a more welcoming experience for the candidates.
- And of course, some philosophical questions to help you explore the mind of the potential hire.
Interviews don’t have to be a nerve-wracking and dreary experience. Throw in some fun interview questions to make it a more lively and interactive experience. You’ll bring the best out of your candidates and get better recruits in the bargain.