Sam Whittaker | Oct 13, 2021 | 0
80 Best Get to Know You Questions - Make Epic Friendship Today
New? Start here.
These get to know you questions might just be what you need when starting a new friendship.
It can be a little tricky, but I'll help you with that. Among all the blogs I've written, I prefer teaching others how to keep a conversation going.
7 Getting to Know You Conversation Starters
These conversation starters are perfect when you’re starting at square one.
They’re not too heavy or hilarious. They’re smooth and easy, perfect when you don’t know the other person that well. These are starters, not introductions. Start by introducing yourself and having some small talk. Then, use these to spark a discussion.
Here are 7 getting to know you conversation starters:
1. If your entire life was a movie, what title would best fit?
This topic lets you flex your creativity muscles, and it’s sure to bring some laughs. Explaining why you think why is a fun way to make this one memorable.
2. Would you rather be a fantastic dancer or be great at math?
This good icebreaker seems silly, but it shines some light on what’s important to the other person.
3. What’s your favorite comedy movie?
This is a great topic to talk about on a first date. Why? It will tell if you and your date have a similar sense of humor.
4. Are you more of a cat person or a dog person?
This one is much better than asking your friend about their favorite color or favorite sport since it can tell you a bit of their personality trait. Most dog persons are extroverted, while the majority of cat persons are introverts. See which is their favorite animal.
5. If it were possible to colonize Mars in our lifetime, would you go? Why or why not?
Here’s another topic that gauges a person’s adventurousness. Their eagerness (or lack thereof) to leave behind everything they know could be telling.
6. What is your dream vacation on your bucket list?
Everyone has a favorite place that they want to visit at least once in their life. Follow up by asking what fun activity do they want to do in this dream vacation.
7. What was your favorite subject in school as a student?
This is a straightforward topic that can help you to understand why they do what they do now. This good question will give you an idea about the subject they focused on in the classroom.
Share This Image On Your Site
5 Best Questions To Get To Know Others
Quite simply, these are some of our favorites for any icebreaker activity or game. If you’re just scanning your phone for a quick topic, try these on for size. Whether you’re romancing or bro-mancing, these questions should fit the bill.
Here are the 5 best get-to-know-you questions:
8. If you could live in a book, TV show, or movie, what would it be?
This simple subject will tell you a lot about someone. What genre did they choose? Romance? Sci-fi? Drama?
9. How many siblings do you have?
This one is a standard topic to ask someone. But it will hint at their family or sibling dynamic.
10. What’s the craziest thing you’ve ever done?
This is a fun question to ask and will introduce you to a person's wilder side. It also gives them a chance to brag about their adventures (or misadventures) a bit.
11. If you could master one skill you don’t have right now, what would it be?
Knowledge is power. This is a really good icebreaker question, You'll know more about your friends’ hobbies, their dreams, and maybe their favorite game to play.
12. What words of wisdom would you pass on to your childhood self?
With age comes wisdom. This topic can reveal a great deal about their character, like:
- Their most valuable life lessons
- Their biggest regrets
- The career path they wish they would have taken
- Opportunities that they've missed
5 Best Funny Questions to Ask to Get to Know Someone
Whether you’re hanging with a guy or a girl, humor is powerful. Guys bond over wisecracks and jokes; girls are charmed by goofy puns and warm smiles.
Many people value a strong sense of humor more than virtually every other quality. After all, if someone can make you laugh, you’re going to want to be around them more often. Humor makes you attractive. That said, you should have some funny questions to ask up your sleeve.
Use these funny getting to know you questions. Don’t be afraid to get a little silly and let your natural sense of humor come out. Laughter leads to real, meaningful connections.
Here are 5 best funny questions to ask to get to know someone:
13. How would you survive a zombie apocalypse?
This one will get you some fun responses, but it will also tell you how prepared they are for real-life disasters like hurricanes and fires.
14. If you could abolish one piece of modern technology, what would it be and why?
If they respond with “cell phone,” then you know that when talking to them. You should turn your Facebook notifications off and pay attention!
15. What is your guilty pleasure?
Perfect for any icebreaker game, this topic can bring out exciting answers. Everyone has a guilty pleasure or a favorite thing that's just deliciously fun to do.
16. What was your nickname your grandparents used to call you?
Asking about the loving nicknames grandparents used to call you is a great idea for a nostalgia trip. This topic is not just great for group games but also for heart-to-heart talks.
17. When was the last time you climbed a tree just for fun?
As a kid, you had all the energy in the world. Do you remember climbing a tree just because you want to?
7 Best Questions to Ask To Get to Know a Girl
If you’re pursuing a romantic interest, make sure you use these excellent questions to ask a girl. Some of them can provide valuable insight into her interests, hobbies, and personality.
Here are the 7 best questions to ask to get to know a girl:
18. Which 1900’s era would you travel back to? Why?
Each of the 1900's eras had its unique flavor. Asking someone this once sparks a fun discussion about the ideals and aspects that they loved about the era.
19. What's your favorite book you've ever read?
If you’ve read it, the conversation doors are open wide. If not, put it on your reading list.
20. What was your first impression of me when we first met?
Be forewarned – she might be brutally honest. First impressions are important, but what she thinks of you now is far more interesting.
21. Were you the same or different in high school?
Some people change, and some stay the same. Were they friendly with a new student or their favorite teacher? What has her life journey been like so far?
22. What do you define as a family?
Family means something different to everyone. This open-ended question can lead to more serious discussion.
23. During high school and college, how many boyfriends did you have?
The classroom community is a stressful place. Getting into romance is one way to switch your focus and have fun in the school year.
24. Do you like it when you receive a phone call without notice?
Some people's biggest pet peeve is to receive phone calls out of the blue. What do you think about it?
5 Best Questions to Ask a Guy to Get to Know Him
These questions can help to give you new perspectives and open up new interests. They can also help you to learn more about yourself.
Here are the 5 best questions to ask a guy to get to know him:
25. What do you define as “manliness”?
This is a great question to ask your father or son as it will reveal what they think it takes to be a man. For even more interesting talks, ask a woman this question.
26. In what ways are you a leader? In what ways are you a follower?
This two-part topic is an introspective look into someone’s motivations. You can find out if they are an introvert, extrovert, or something in-between.
27. What motivates you to succeed?
Knowing what motivates someone to succeed and work hard, will tell you what's important to them. Is it family? Is it security?
PS: If you're looking for motivation to succeed, check out the motivation section of our steps to success post.
28. What's your favorite part about this city?
This is a great question because it helps you to learn about each other’s interests and hobbies, and it may also give you a heads up on a new place to check out.
29. Wine, whiskey, or beer?
Or all three? What’s his vice of choice? If you’re at a bar, follow this one up with a round of drinks.
PS: become an instant beer or wine connoisseur with one of our recommended beer of the month clubs or a wine of the month clubs.
10 Best Get-to-Know-You Questions for Couples
Communication is the key to a successful romantic relationship.
Whether you’re one-on-one with your girlfriend, double dating, or third wheeling with another couple, these questions for couples will help you get to know everyone involved a little better.
Just because you’re in a relationship doesn’t mean you know everything about her. There’s always more to learn. Connect with your romantic partner on a deeper level with these relationship questions.
Here are the 10 best get-to-know-you questions for couples:
30. What makes you happiest?
This overarching subject is ambiguous enough to be a great question to ask on a first date, in a job interview, or at dinner with friends, family, or acquaintances.
31. What are some really romantic dates ideas? And some sexy ones?
If you ask this question, you had better make sure you remember her answers and make them happen.
32. What are the things that remind you of me?
33. What’s one similarity between us that you absolutely love?
Opposites attract, but so do similarities. What common traits do you share that make her smile?
34. What are you most sentimental about?
This topic can lead to emotional discussions, so save it for appropriate occasions. Still, it's a very good topic to talk about.
35. What do you do when you’re angry? How can I help?
Everyone gets angry. When you’re in a relationship, it’s important to recognize the signs and take steps to resolve the issue.
36. Do you believe in second chances?
Is your partner the forgiving type? This topic for an ice breaker game will tell you.
37. What is your relationship deal-breaker?
Some things are just non-negotiable in a relationship. What could it be for you?
38. Have you met one of your exes on Tinder?
Tinder is a huge platform. Imagine meeting someone there that you never want to see again in real life.
39. What makes a healthy relationship last?
How relationships last depend on the persons involved. Are they making an effort? Do they have shared goals?
5 Best Getting to Know You Questions for Work
If you’re vetting a new employee, or just trying to make the time pass during a long shift, these questions to get to know someone at work will help. They’re purely professional.
You don’t need to be best friends with the people you work with. But connecting – at least on a superficial level – is important. Bonding with your co-workers or employees can also help to boost morale and improve productivity.
Here are the 5 best getting to know you questions for work:
40. If you were to start a company from scratch, what values would you build it on?
This inquiry is perfect for job interviews, as it shows their character- what they are on a professional and personal level.
41. What would you be doing if you weren't at your current job?
It’s easy to look at another coworker or employee as a one-dimensional being, but the reality is that they’re multifaceted people with plenty of interests. Learn about what else they love.
42. You can trade places with someone for 1 day. Who would it be?
It doesn’t have to be another employee. This topic just helps you to understand what kind of person they are.
43. What is the most important personal attribute that you bring to your job?
This is another fantastic inquiry for job interviews, as it helps you to understand how they would fit into your organization and what niche they would fill.
44. Describe one experience you’ve had where you took a huge leap of faith.
Whether it was a leap of faith or a trust fall, we’ve all had to forge ahead blindly and hope for the best at some point.
5 Get To Know You Interview Questions
While we can choose to get to know others in potentially friendly or romantic situations, our jobs require we get to know people who may be working for us. Because of that, you want to make sure your interview questions really allow you to get to know the candidate you're speaking to.
Use these questions to cut through the standard interview questions and develop a great work relationship right from the beginning.
Here are 5 get to know you interview questions:
45. What is the most challenging work you have ever done and how did you rise up to the challenge?
It could be relationship, project, or timeline-related, but the answer tells you a lot.
46. Tell me about a time you initiated an uncomfortable discussion with a co-worker. What did you say? How did it turn out?
The workplace is full of uncomfortable chats. How did they deal with theirs?
47. If you were given 10 Million to help solve a world problem, what problem would you choose and how would you contribute to the solution?
Find out what problems they really care about and how good they are at solving problems.
48. If you found out your company was doing something against the law, like fraud, what would you do?
Can they put ethics and public good above their own advancement?
49. In five minutes, could you explain something to me that is complicated but you know well?
What they choose doesn't matter. What matters is how well they communicate.
7 Best Random Questions to Get to Know Someone
If you want some outside-the-box questions to ask, this section will not disappoint. Use these random questions to ask someone when you really want something out of the left field.
There’s no telling where the discussion may go. These questions are perfect when you want to get your creative juices flowing. Don’t be surprised if you get some weird looks when you ask these random questions to ask!
Here are 7 random questions to get to know someone:
50. What is the sound you love the most?
Whether it’s a favorite song, an instrument, or the sound of a train chugging along, this subject is sure to spawn some interesting responses.
51. If you could hire out one household chore what would it be?
What’s that one chore that drives you crazy? How much would you pay to never do it again?
52. If you found a briefcase of money on the street, would you keep it?
This one shows you their moral compass. Would they try to find the owner? How would they do that?
53. What is your favorite day of the week?
Which day do they wake up fully pumped for what the day will bring? For many, it’s the weekend, but others enjoy weekday activities that can lead to great talks.
54. If you could use one social media site for the rest of your life what would you choose? Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram?
This interesting question is perfect to elicit an elaborate comparison of these three apps. Which is best for you and why?
55. If you were a superhero, what superpower would you like to have and why?
Let's skip questions about favorite food and boost asking questions to a different level. Which superpower do you think is best?
56. You can either leave your hometown forever or never leave your hometown. Which do you choose?
Do you want to stay there for life or do you want to create new roots someplace else? This random question will leave you thinking.
5 Get To Know You Questions To Ask A New Friend
When you make a new friend, you want to get to know them more. It can be hard to come up with good get-to-know-you questions to ask a new friend. These questions to ask friends will surely keep the ball rolling and help you learn a lot about your new friend.
Here are 5 get to know you questions to ask a new friend:
57. If you were stranded on a deserted island, what's your favorite board game would you bring?
Board games are usually played with other people. So make sure that you list off all of those friends that you want to bring with you as well.
58. What pet peeves turn your mood around?
Personal questions like this can tell you more about your new friend. You might even hear the weirdest thing people consider as a pet peeve. That's why it's a great ask.
59. What was the best compliment you’ve received?
You need to know how to make them smile and feel warm inside. Some cute compliments can really change your day for the better.
60. What is your favorite game or sport to watch and play?
What's your favorite way of spending leisure time if you're into sports? Are you a basketball fan? An ESports fan?
61. Do you have a daily routine?
If you've ever wondered what it's like to have a day in the life of your new friend, then this will give you a vague idea.
7 Best Questions to Get to Know Someone Deeply
Pay attention to the other person’s body language, and avoid questions that may not be appropriate yet. Some of these may be best saved for a second or third hangout.
Here are 7 best questions to get to know someone deeply:
62. If you could get away with a crime, would you? If yes, what would it be?
This is one of the more interesting questions to ask, as it explores the dark side of human nature by giving someone a “get out of jail free” card.
63. If you could bring back anyone from the dead, who would it be and why?
Long deceased musicians, artists, scientists, and family members have all inspired us through their words and actions. This topic sparks fun and often deep conversational possibilities.
64. How do you want to be remembered?
This one provides insight into their ideals, morals, and values. Do they want to be remembered as a family man, as someone who cured a terrible disease, or as a movie star?
65. What’s your greatest failure, and how did you overcome it?
Our greatest accomplishments stem from our hardest falls. A deeply personal question, this one should be used to motivate.
66. What does it mean to be powerful?
The word ‘power’ has a different meaning to many people. Is it brute force? Cunning? The ability to manipulate? Leadership skills? What is true power?
67. What would you be famous for? Your talent or possession?
This topic might not be appropriate for a team-building activity, but it's a good one, nonetheless. What legacy do you want to leave behind?
68. What is the best piece of advice you would tell your younger self?
Do you regret any past decisions? If you had a time machine, what would you say to the younger version of you?
12 Who Knows Me Better Questions
Testing your friends' knowledge about you through who knows me better questions is a fun game to play at your birthday party.
Here are 12 who knows me better questions:
69. What is my favorite movie of all time?
Your friends knowing your favorite film of all time is a different kind of happiness. Maybe you can also set a movie night with your friends features everyone's favorites.
70. Who is my celebrity crush?
Admit it. You have openly announced your undying love for your celebrity crush at one point. Let's see if any of your friends remember that incident.
71. What is my favorite ice cream flavor? Chocolate or Vanilla?
Or neither of the two. Who knows? You might like bubblegum-flavored ice cream.
72. What is one of my hidden talents?
Ah, this is a heavy one. Hidden talents got their name because they are, well, hidden. Only your closest of friends can answer this one.
73. What was my first job versus my dream job?
First jobs are exciting. Even more so if your first job is also your dream job. If it's not, it's always a stepping stone to get where you want to be.
74. Am I a morning person or a night owl?
Everyone will be able to answer this one. How? An easy scan of text or chat messages will tell them which time you're more active.
75. What is my biggest pet peeve?
Everyone has one thing that annoys the hell out of them. What's yours? Do your friends know it? How often do you encounter it?
76. What is the best gift that can turn my bad day around?
Real friends want to make their friends happy. However, if it's food-related, you might want to get your delivery app ready.
77. If I could eat my favorite meal of the day for the rest of my life, what would it be?
This is the kind of food that you'll never get tired of. What could it be? Fried chicken? Pizza? Boiled eggs?
78. Name one of my phobias that will give me the biggest adrenaline rush.
If you have a fear of everything, then you have "pantophobia." The name looks like you have a fear of pants. But since you have this phobia, you might actually fear pants as well.
79. If a genie granted me one wish, would I wish for a perfect job or be a superhero?
Being a superhero can be a perfect job. But realistically speaking, who'd want a job when there's a genie who can grant you the ability to buy anything?
80. What is the last movie I have seen with my close friends?
If you're with your close friends, watch them scramble about trying to answer this question first. Try to plan another movie night after asking this one.
Downloadable And Printable List Of Get To Know You Questions
Here is a downloadable and printable jpg/pdf list of get to know you questions (right-click the image and select Save Image As...):
Frequently Asked Questions
Are you wondering about making friends? Let's clarify some frequently asked questions about it.
How do you ask someone about themselves?
Simply ask. Sometimes, you don't need a long intro before getting on what you really want to know. If you want to ask them something, just ask away.
What should be the best response when someone says, "I want to get to know you better"?
You can begin by saying that you're flattered that they want to know you. However, the next part is entirely up to you if you're up to it or not. Just make sure to say it as politely as you can.
How long does it take to get to know someone?
Getting to know someone is not one-sided. Let me elaborate. If both of you are eager to share and ask, then you can get to know each other well in no time at all. But if one of you is hesitant to share anything, you might still stay as a stranger for months to come.
What's the best way to get to know someone in a short amount of time?
Asking questions is the best way. However, if you think that you're evading their life too much, it's best to hold back a little. They might be uncomfortable with getting a ton of questions.
What questions should I avoid when I want to know a person?
If you want to know a person, then your questions should be about them. Try to avoid talking about other people or asking small talk questions. If you really want to know them, try to ask deeper questions to see who they really are.
How to Get to Know Someone
In addition to providing you with a stellar list of questions to ask, we also included practical tips to help you get the most from them.
Here's how to get to know someone:
1. Use the Right Getting to Know You Questions
There’s no one-size-fits-all strategy. As you learn how to get to know someone, you’ll realize that each individual requires a unique approach.
The questions you ask a new buddy are probably going to differ from the ones you ask a co-worker. Choose your questions wisely.
2. Begin with Conversation Starters
We’ve provided a solid list of starters for you that aren't just good for small talk. Use them as openers.
Once you’ve had a few laughs or discussions based on those, you’ll be ready to move into funnier or deeper questions.
Start with surface-level openers and then dig deeper.
3. Know When to Use Deep Questions
Deep questions are powerful. They’re like seeds that grow into friendships. However, planting them too soon can be problematic.
You don’t want to get too personal too fast. Wait until you feel you’ve bonded enough where asking deep questions isn’t going to seem too forward.
Trust your instincts.
4. Think About Your Responses
This isn’t a one-sided interrogation! Remember that the get-to-know questions you ask are going to be asked back.
Don’t memorize answers to the questions, but it never hurts to think about what you’re going to say. Be prepared yet spontaneous.
5. Use These Get to Know You Questions Naturally
If you’re asking one rapid-fire question after another, your company is going to be a little confused. Use these getting-to-know-you questions when necessary.
For example, if you’re waiting for dinner to show up and you’re sitting there in silence, that’s a perfect time to ask questions to get to know someone.
On the other hand, when dinner arrives and your company just took a bite, that’s probably not the best timing Pepper these getting-to-know-you questions into your normal talks naturally. Timing is everything.
Looking for More Get to Know You Questions?
This massive list of questions to ask to get to know someone should help you to connect with other people more effectively. At the same time, it never hurts to have some more on tap.
We’ve got you covered:
- We have plenty more Questions to Ask a Girl and Questions to Ask a Guy to make your next hangout a little more exciting.
- Spice up your next gathering with these Would You Rather Questions. Word of warning: you may find out some juicy details about the people you’re with.
- Whether you’re on a road trip or just chilling on the couch, the 21 Questions Game is a classic way to pass the time.
Now that you have plenty of get-to-know-you questions, get out there and use them! After all, getting to know new people is fun and rewarding.
These questions to ask someone to get to know them can lead to lifelong relationships. They can also be used just to eliminate awkward silences. It’s up to you.
Be bold, genuine, and friendly. The rest will come naturally.
Editor's Note: This post was last updated on 09/08/2021. We added more/better questions and completely revamped + dramatically improved our original 75 Good Questions to Ask to Get to Know Someone.