Funny get to know you questions are quite possibly the best and easiest way to get to know someone.
Humor connects people. A silly joke can lead to a relationship that lasts a lifetime. Asking funny questions to ask to get to know someone is one of the most effective ways to disarm someone and form that initial connection, and it also creates a positive, open atmosphere that often leads to more in-depth discussion.
Of course, thinking up questions to ask on the spot isn’t always easy. That’s why we’ve created this handy list of lighthearted get to know you questions.
Let’s get started into them:
101 Incredibly Funny Questions to Ask to Get to Know Someone
To make this resource even better/easier for you to use… I broke down the questions to ask into a few different sections (from the best questions to use early in a conversation, to deeper questions that are better towards the end).
I recommend looking through each section, but if you want to jump to one in particular, you can use the links below:
These conversation starters kick off the fun. They’re random, carefree, and easy for the other person to answer. The great thing about these funny questions is that they can easily lead seamlessly into other conversations.
Without further ado, here are some of our favorite funny conversation starters:
1. What is the dumbest way you’ve been injured?
Hey, we’re all human. While a silly accident may be painful at the time, at least you get a good story out of it.
2. Serious question here, do you count your steps?
How else are you supposed to know exactly how many steps that walk takes next time you take that route? It’s just simple planning.
3. What’s something I would never guess about you?
This question gives the other person the chance to brag a little or share some in-depth information. It puts the ball in their court, and either way it’s a win-win.
4. What is your most unusual talent?
Whether it’s burping the alphabet or tongue gymnastics, this question helps you see someone’s silly side.
5. What’s the most awkward thing that happens to you on a regular basis?
We all have those moments. Bond over those cringe moments in life.
6. What’s the funniest thing you’ve seen a kid do?
Sometimes kids act like drunk people, only cuter. Share those adorable stories.
7. What’s your worst bug-related story?
This question may not be for the squeamish. You might want to avoid this one at the dinner table.
8. What’s something that people think makes them look cool, but actually makes them look ridiculous?
Fads come and go, but at least we can laugh about them.
9. What’s the funniest name you can think of for a pet?
Rolex the watch dog? General Meow’s Chicken the-scaredy cat?
10. What’s the cheesiest movie moment or line you can think of?
You know those moments. The ones that make your eyes roll to the back of your head. Discuss.
11. What’s the most useless product around today?
The USB pet rock is definitely up there. What items do you have a hard time believing they actually exist?
12. Is a hot dog a sandwich, and why?
This question makes you question everything you know about food. What constitutes a sandwich? Or, is it a taco?
13. What’s your worst roommate or house guest story?
This question makes for a great story, and it also gives you insight on behaviors to avoid at all costs!
14. What’s the worst food you ever ate?
Simple and (not so) sweet. This question may be tough for some to stomach.
15. What is your spirit animal, and why?
This question is never a boar, and I’m not lion. I’ll show myself out.
These versatile questions should definitely get a reaction. They’re a little weird/random, but that’s a big part of what makes them best funny get to know you questions’… and that’s why we like them!
Save these outside-the-box getting to know you questions for when you’re already laughing, and you really want to take the conversation to the next level of hilarity.
Here are 15 of the best funny getting to know you questions:
16. Would you rather trade some intelligence for looks or looks for intelligence?
Knowledge or vanity? This question makes you really think about what’s important. Either way you’re admitting that you lack one and possess the other.
17. If you could breed two animals together to defy the laws of nature what new animal would you create?
Shark-bee? Tiger-snail? The world is your oyster-monkey.
18. What animal would be the most terrifying if it could speak?
Sometimes it’s nice to know the animal kingdom won’t be saying hello anytime soon. Bonus points if you impersonate their voices.
19. Would you rather have unlimited sushi for life or unlimited tacos for life?
And, whichever dish you choose, you can never eat the other one again. Warning: this question is pure evil and may ruin the relationship.
20. Would you rather have skin that changes color based on your emotions or tattoos appear all over your body depicting what you did yesterday?
Talk about wearing your heart on your sleeve.
21. Would you rather go 30 days without your phone or your entire life without dessert?
Just how addicted are you to that digital pocket square?
22. Would you rather be the best player on a horrible team or the worst player on a great team?
Do you prefer the spotlight or the trophy?
23. If one animal was made the size of an elephant, which would be the scariest?
This question helps you appreciate the little things in life.
24. Who or where would you haunt if you were a ghost?
Throw “when” into the mix to really get this spooky conversation going.
25. If you were reincarnated as a famous landmark, which would it be?
Are you the Leaning Tower of Pisa after a few drinks? Or maybe you’re hard-headed enough to end up on Mount Rushmore?
26. Which celebrity chef would you most like to make you dinner?
No, George Foreman is not a chef.
27. If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Mixing all of your favorite foods into a super mash doesn’t count.
28. How much would someone have to pay you to eat a live spider?
They say you do it in your sleep anyways, so you might as well get paid, right?
29. What would be the worst movie sequel ever made?
You can really go in-depth with actors, plots, twists, and settings with this one.
30. If you were stranded on a desert island and you could choose one person to keep you company, who would it be? What about one animal?
They can also bring a few albums, movies, and books with them.
Here are some of the best funny questions to get to know a girl:
31. Have you ever worn clothing with the labels/tags still attached?
If yes, are you right now?
32. Would you rather be the most popular kid in school or the smartest kid in school?
The answer to this question says a lot about her.
33. Do you have any superstitions?
Quirks can be fun to talk about, and it gives you the opportunity to ask about the motivations behind those superstitions.
34. What’s the worst pickup line you’ve ever heard/dished out?
Try your best not to be her answer to your question.
35. If you were a man for a day, what would be the first thing you do?
After having a mental breakdown, of course.
36. What is the weirdest thing you find attractive in a person?
Everyone has their own unique tastes in what they find attractive. Try not to spin this one into a compliment if you’re not the smoothest talker — you might end up indirectly saying she looks weird, and that’s a great way to kill the mood.
37. What cheesy song do you have memorized?
Bonus points if she performs it a capella on the spot.
38. If you got stuck in an elevator and were forced to listen to only one song, what would it be?
Pro tip: remember the song and play it next time you’re hanging out.
39. What’s something weird that you recommend everyone tries at least once?
Expand your horizons.
40. What do you think is the most unpleasant sounding word?
Find out what word makes her shudder, and strike it from your vocabulary.
41. What is something you hate, but you wished you loved?
Maybe you can help her see the bright side.
42. What makes you feel old?
I would avoid this question if she is, in fact, old.
43. What is something you get wrong almost every time you do it?
Pro tip: master that skill.
44. What things do you do every day that you wish could be automated?
Invent a solution and become a hero.
45. Who would you most like to sit next to on a 10-hour flight and why?
This question gives great insight into the kind of people she likes to be around. Try to be more like that person.
46. What is something that people are obsessed with but you just don’t get the point of?
Most trends have plenty of haters too.
47. What weird food combinations do you really enjoy?
Peanut butter and pickles? Chocolate and cheese? What’s the snack she only eats with the door locked?
48. What’s the (funniest / most disappointing / weirdest / etc.) text you’ve gotten?
She probably has a phone filled with them. Hopefully they aren’t yours.
49. What isn’t real but you desperately wish it was?
Maybe you can find or make the next closest thing.
50. What’s something that you’ve never been able to do well?
If you’re lucky, it’s something you’re good at.
51. What’s the weirdest tradition your family has?
Asking about family shows genuine interest in her as a person, plus the stories can be hilarious.
Guys like to laugh. Some of the best friendships and memories are made just cracking jokes and shooting the breeze.
Here are some great funny questions to get to know a guy:
52. What’s the best practical joke you’ve pulled or seen pulled?
Busting chops is what guys do best. Get some inspiration for your next escapade.
53. Dinosaurs or Dragons?
Everyone loves epic beasts, but choosing one is never easy.
54. If you joined the circus, what would your circus act be?
The position doesn’t need to exist currently. Extreme football watcher is an acceptable act.
55. What would you do if you were invisible for a day?
Would you use your power for good or evil?
56. If you could jump into a pool full of something, what would it be?
Chili on a chilly day? Jello after leg day? What’s in your dream pool?
57. What do you dislike but have no good reason for disliking?
Recognizing your irrational anger is the first step to overcoming it.
58. Would rather live in a world with or without super heroes and super villains?
Do you prefer comic books or history books?
59. What is the weirdest thing you’ve ever eaten?
Follow up question: what were you thinking?
60. What’s the funniest place you’ve ever fallen asleep?
And what went through your head when you woke up?
61. Would you rather be married to a 10 with a bad personality or a 6 with an amazing personality?
Don’t ask this one if he’s got a wife within earshot.
62. If you could look through one person’s email without them knowing, whose email would you look through?
And what would you do with said information?
63. If everything in your house had to be one color what color would you choose?
And how would you prevent a mob of interior designers from running you out of town?
64. What would be the worst ingredients to fill a burrito with?
Try to stick with food, but don’t be surprised when non-food items make the list.
65. What do you think the most ridiculous invention that exists is?
Some people have too much time and money.
66. What happened on your worst date?
Dish out the nightmare stories.
67. How much would someone have to pay for your little toe?
It’s not that important, right? Try not to sound like you’re interested in buying — unless you are, of course.
68. How many cheeseburgers is too many cheeseburgers?
THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER.
69. If you had an endless budget to build a fort, what would yours look like?
Pull out all the stops. Your inner seven-year-old is thrilled.
After you’ve used some basic, surface-level funny getting to know you questions to oil the works, you can use these funny, deeper funny questions to strengthen that new bond.
These questions give the other person a lot to work with. While they’re still lighthearted, they provide some insight into their personality, beliefs, and past. These deep questions to ask someone may not all always be appropriate, so make sure you consider the setting before you ask them. Timing is key!
Here are some great deep AND funny get to know you questions:
70. What’s your most embarrassing childhood memory?
That moment that still sticks with you after all these years. Let it out.
71. What will people say at your funeral?
Also, what do you hope they’ll say?
72. What would you do differently if you knew that no one was judging you?
This question can lead to self-reflection, but in a fun and tongue-in-cheek kind of way.
73. If you could steal one thing without consequence what would it be?
Surely there’s some sort of treasure out there you’d like to procure.
74. If you had a warning label, what would yours say?
This one is great for learning about a person’s not-so-nice characteristics, but in a playful way.
75. If you could talk to one species of animal which would it be?
Follow-up question: what would you talk about?
76. If you were a giant mega monster what city would you rampage?
Which city has earned your wrath?
77. If you met a genie who offered you three wishes, what would you wish for?
No wishing for more wishes. Genies definitely know about that trick by now.
78. Would you ever let your parents pick out a partner for you?
Learn about family and personal relationships with one question.
79. Would you rather have a significant other who hates your parents or a significant other who hates your dog?
Either one sounds like trouble. Where do your priorities lie?
80. What makes you say, “What was I thinking?” when you look back on your life?
We all make mistakes. Make sure you talk about yours too to keep the conversation two-sided.
81. What personality trait has gotten you in the most trouble?
Getting to know someone means understanding and accepting their flaws too.
82. What fact are you really surprised that more people don’t know about?
You might just learn something new. If not, you’re one of the elite.
83. What do people do that drives you absolutely bonkers?
What are those pet peeves that you just can’t shake no matter how hard you try?
84. If you could be any person alive or dead for a day, who would it be and why?
And what would you do during that day?
85. If you had a time machine, what time period would you visit, and why?
Remember that your actions can affect the future. This question can lead to a long conversation about the butterfly effect. Try to predict the eventual outcome of your visit.
Here’s one for you: would you rather get to know someone else or just have a boring conversation and never talk again?
The answer’s obvious, right? Well, if that’s the case, then ask better would you rather questions than the one above.
If you’re funny, people want you to like them like they already like you. So use these questions to really find out about someone and develop a relationship.
86. Would you rather be locked inside an old building with your boyfriend/girlfriend or inside an amusement park with a celebrity?
You can get them laughing at the concept, then find out if they care more about fun or relationships.
87. Would you rather be famous and have a scandal or two, or never be talked about in the media at all?
Just how important is the possibility of fame to them?
88. Would you rather be a famous rock singer or the next Einstein/Tesla?
A fun question to discuss not just fame but what you wish you could be great at and why.
89. Would you rather be a fish safe in a fish tank or a fish out in the wide, dangerous ocean?
It’s a silly question, but one with an edge: is it better to be safe but limited in life or free and constantly confronted with risk?
90. Would you rather run through the streets naked or spend a week being lectured by your mother?
Find out who the secret streakers are in your midst.
91. Would you rather have the paparazzi camp in your back yard or never be famous?
Is fame worth the hassle? What would someone suffer just to be a little better known?
92. Would you rather run away with a circus or move to another country alone where you don’t speak the language?
With this, you can practice circus tricks, and also find out how adventurous the person is.
93. Would you rather be on a reality TV show or have to reveal intimate details of your life to your mother?
For some, one or the other might actually be appealing.
94. Would you rather never play or always lose?
A vague question, but one that tells you a lot about someone.
95. Would you rather go to your 20-year class reunion and nobody remember who you are or have everybody comment on how old you look?
Two nightmares in one, but they have to choose.
96. Would you rather always laugh at every funeral or always cry at every birthday party?
A pair of inappropriate reactions, but fun ones to consider the implications.
97. Would you rather have to permanently give up salts or sweets?
Ask this right before people dig in to a nice meal.
98. Would you rather be plain-looking but always the funniest person in the room, or super hot but always the most boring person in the room?
Goofy looking and goofy or hot and dim: you decide the best way to go through life.
99. Would you rather be considered extremely lazy but have tons of friends, or be considered extremely successful but only have one friend?
Just how important is it to someone to appear successful? And how many friends to you really need?
100. Would you rather have a ten-hour car ride with someone you absolutely cannot stand or a thirty-hour car ride (with no stops) with someone you absolutely love?
You love your friends, but thirty hours…alone…no stops, that’s a lot to ask from anyone.
101. Would you rather post an extremely unflattering photo that gets hundreds of likes, or a super flattering photo that only gets one like total?
You’ll always be asking yourself, why exactly did those people like that photo.
Here are 5 powerful tips to help you get to know someone using these funny questions to ask:
Tip #1: Know your audience
The questions you laugh about with a new guy friend may not be ideal for that girl you’re crushing on. In short: know your audience.
Tip #2: Use get to know you questions
We’ve done the hard work for you. These questions to ask are good to go. We’ve even categorized them to help you use the right questions, with the right people, in the right setting.
The best approach is to memorize your favorite questions and pepper them into conversation naturally, but you can always pull up this list on your smartphone when you’re stuck. Consider me your virtual wingman.
Tip #3: Start with conversation starters
Start with conversation starters. That makes sense, right?
After you’ve both given your opinions on the current state of the weather, you can bust out some conversation starters to keep the dialogue flowing. Once you’ve set the friendly, relaxed tone with humor, you can eventually move into more specific or deeper questions.
Tip #4: Remember, this isn’t an interview
Finally, don’t forget to give your own answers to these funny get to know you questions, too! You’re starting a conversation, not conducting an investigation. Smile, have a good time, and use these questions as starting points to ignite new topics of discussion.
Tip #5: Who, what, why, when, how
A simple who, what, why, when, or how goes a long way.
Downloadable List of Funny Get to Know You Questions
More Great Funny Questions to Ask to Get to Know You
By now, you should be a rock-solid funny question-asking machine. But I’m guessing you want more, so here are some more great funny questions to ask:
- These would you rather questions are great because they don’t make your partner think too much. You give them the context, they give you the answer. Simple.
- Never have I ever questions are a classic formula for getting answers. You may not want to ask directly what they have done, but you can indirectly ask what they haven’t. This game is a convenient loophole that can be a lot of fun for both people.
- Finally, it never hurts to have some extra fun, interesting questions to ask in your mental Rolodex.
Now that you have some questions to ask, get out there and start meeting some cool people.
These funny get to know you questions will get you halfway there, now it’s up to you to use your dashing charm to finish the job. The art of humor is a very personal thing, so don’t be afraid to take these funny questions to ask and tweak them a bit. Make them your own!