Every guy should know a handful of good questions to ask a girl… because:
Whether you’re making small talk at work or trying to charm your crush, talking to girls can be a little intimidating. Fortunately, it doesn’t have to be.
With these questions to ask in mind, you can navigate any social situation with ease. Be confident, charming, and friendly, and you’ll find that once you get a conversation started, keeping it going is a breeze.
Try not to overthink it. Even if you’re talking to the girl of your dreams, try to remember that she’s a person just like you. In fact, she might even be more nervous than you are.
The biggest obstacle to overcome is coming up with topics to talk about in the first place. This handy list of questions to ask solves that.
The only way to get good at something is to do it. The art of conversation becomes more natural and easy every time. Talking to girls is also a great way to get some new perspectives and increase your personal confidence.
Without further adieu, let’s dive in.
146 Questions to Ask a Girl You Need to Know
This all-inclusive list of questions to ask includes everything from light and easy conversation starters to ask earlier, all the way to personal questions to connect with her on a deeper level later.
Reading through each section individually will give you a more well-rounded approach, but if you want to jump to one section in particular, simply click one of the links below:
Let’s start at the beginning. These conversation starters are simple and sweet. After all, you don’t want to come on too strong, too fast. Use these questions to kick off a lighthearted conversation that can lead to more in-depth topics later.
Whether you’re chasing romance or passing the time, you can count on these questions to provide a pleasant mood and easy conversation.
Rome wasn’t built in a day. The first step is just talking about anything. From there, the possibilities are endless.
Here are 15 questions to ask a girl when you just want to get a conversation rolling:
1. What would your perfect room look like?
This question helps you to understand her tastes, plus it’s just fun to design an imaginary dream room.
2. What skill would you most like to master?
This question directly caters to her unique interests. It shows that you’re interested in her, and gives her a topic she can sink her teeth into.
3. What would be the most amazing adventure to go on?
This question can go anywhere. The conversation can go anywhere from outer space to the ocean to the jungle.
4. What pets did you have while you were growing up?
People love talking about their animal companions of the past.
5. What’s your favorite day of the year?
Does she love dressing up for Halloween? Giving gifts for Christmas? Getting gifts on her birthday?
6. How do you relax after a hard day of work?
This is a great conversation starter because it immediately invokes a pleasant mood. After all, who doesn’t like talking about their post-work relaxation?
7. What’s the farthest you’ve ever been from home?
This conversation starter can lead to great conversations about traveling or the desire to see the world.
8. Where is the most interesting place you’ve been?
You can learn a lot about someone from where they’ve been.
9. What’s the best thing that happened to you last week?
This is a positive conversation starter that lets them reminisce about recent good times.
10. What city would you most like to live in?
Where someone would like to live speaks volumes about their goals. This question gives her a chance to open up about her dream life. This is another question that can give you subtle clues about compatibility if you’re interested in her romantically.
11. What’s the best practical joke you’ve played on someone?
Talking about pranks is an automatic recipe for smiles and laughs.
12. What’s your favorite Disney movie?
Show her your sensitive and childish side with this question. This is a great conversation starter because it’s probably going to bring up pleasant nostalgic feelings.
13. What’s your biggest pet peeve?
We all have our gripes. What are hers?
14. If you could keep any animal as a pet, what would you choose?
This is a pleasant, innocent, and funny conversation starter that can lead to some laughs.
15. What’s the worst job you’ve ever had?
Talking about that nightmare gig can lead to some funny stories.
This list encompasses the crème de la crème of questions to ask girls. They’re fun, weird, and a little out of left field, and that’s why we like them.
These questions are perfect when you want to talk about something besides the weather.
The great thing about these questions is that they’re casual enough to use with anyone, but they can lead to deeper conversations, depending on how you steer the conversation. Use them sparingly.
Here are 14 of the best questions to ask a girl:
16. If you could turn any activity into an Olympic sport, what would you have a good chance at winning a gold medal for?
This question lets her brag a little, and it sheds some light onto her hobbies and passions.
17. What’s the most useless talent you have?
It’s the little quirks that make people special. Learn about her talents that have no real use in the world.
18. What’s the most illegal thing you’ve done?
19. What would be your spirit animal?
This is a fun question that helps you to learn about who she is as a person without asking personal questions.
20. If you had a personal flag, what would be on it?
This is another question that’s light and easy, but it still helps you to get to know her.
21. What are the three most interesting things about you?
This is a great question because it gives her the opportunity to talk about herself in a positive light without feeling weird about it.
22. What are you really good at, but kind of embarrassed that you are good at it?
Again, this question gives her the chance to brag subtly.
23. What was the most memorable gift you’ve ever received?
Make sure you remember her answer. It may inspire you when you’re trying to think of the perfect gift for her down the line. Sometimes creating a memorable experience is better than giving a physical gift.
24. What word or saying from the past do you think should come back?
What word or phrase from the past does she think is the most phat?
25. Who would be the worst person to be stuck in an elevator with? How about the best person to be stuck in an elevator with?
The type of person she likes or dislikes can help you to understand whether or not you’re a good match.
26. What cartoon did you watch most as a child?
This is a fantastic question because you can bond over your childhoods, which naturally forms a connection.
27. What was the last movie you watched? How was it?
This question is easy for her to answer. If you’ve seen it, you can discuss it. If not, you might have a new flick to add to your queue.
28. Have you ever had a crush on a fictional movie character? Who?
This is a fun question, and it also shows you what kind of guys she’s into.
29. If your life had a theme song, what would it be?
While this question seems a bit silly, the answer actually can tell you a lot about her.
If you want your crush to like you back, you need to open the lines of communication. Of course, you don’t want to start with heavy questions. These questions are pleasant, but they’re interesting too.
Use these questions to ask girl you like to create a spark. Once the conversation begins, fan the flames. With any luck, you’ll have a roaring inferno in no time.
Here are 12 of the best questions to ask a girl you like:
30. What’s something you thought you’d grow out of but haven’t?
We all have those little quirks from when we were kids. What are hers?
31. What age do you feel right now and why?
Is she an old soul, or does she feel like a child inside?
32. As the only human left on Earth, what would you do?
This is a fun question that opens up endless possibilities. The conversation can be dark or hilarious.
33. How different was your life one year ago?
Let her know you’re interested in her as a person and how she’s grown.
34. What is your best childhood memory?
Childhood experiences can shape a person. Talking about positive ones is a great way to understand who she is now.
35. What’s something you’ve always wanted to try?
This is a great question to ask someone you like because it gives you the chance to ask her out to do it.
36. What is something you think everyone should do at least once in their lives?
What’s that must-try experience everyone should have on their bucket list?
37. What is the most heartwarming thing you’ve ever seen?
This question shows your sensitive side.
38. What’s something you love, that people haven’t even heard of?
Give her the chance to talk about some of her more obscure interests that might not come up otherwise.
39. What’s your least favorite word?
Moist? Crusty? Language can be fun or disturbing.
40. Have you traveled to any different countries? Which was your favorite?
Talking about travel is always a great way to get to know someone on a deeper level, and you’ll usually hear some great stories.
41. What was your worst first (and last) date?
This question gives you valuable insight on what not to do. Plus, the stories are often hilarious.
These questions make her think. She’s probably never been asked them before. Don’t forget that she’s going to expect you to answer them too, so give them some thought.
Here are 14 of the most interesting questions to ask a girl:
42. If you were the ruler of a small island nation, what would you do?
With unlimited power, would she be corrupt or benevolent? What would her society look like?
43. What could you give a 40-minute presentation on with absolutely no preparation?
This question really helps you to understand what her deepest interests are.
44. What is something that is considered a luxury, but you don’t think you could live without?
There’s nothing wrong with treating yourself from time to time? Does she have a thing for expensive chap stick? Maybe a favorite perfume?
45. What would be your first question after waking up from being cryogenically frozen for 100 years?
This is a fun thought experiment that can lead to more introspective and existential conversations.
46. What would be on the gag reel of your life?
This question starts conversations about those funny moments in life that you want to forget, but you can still laugh about.
47. If you could know the absolute and total truth to one question, what question would you ask?
This question can go either way — funny or deep.
48. If you suddenly became a master at woodworking, what would you make?
A tree house? Maybe the ultimate bed? What would she build?
49. If you could witness any event of the past, present, or future, what would it be?
This is a big question. The possibilities are boundless.
50. If you were president, what is the first thing you would do?
This question is fun, but it also shows you what types of issues she cares about.
51. What do you want your tombstone to say?
This question indirectly tells you what’s most important to her.
52. What is your favorite feature on the opposite sex?
This question is a little bit flirty without being too pushy. It may even lead to a compliment for you if you’re lucky.
53. If you could bankrupt one person or company who would it be?
This is another question that can lead to serious or hilarious conversations.
54. If you could go back in time and delete the internet from existence, would you?
There’s no denying that the internet has changed the world. Do the good aspects outweigh the bad?
55. If you could bring back any trend from the past, what would it be?
Does she really miss bellbottom jeans? Or maybe she wishes she could hang out in a 50s-style diner on Friday nights?
Whether you want to connect with your Tinder date or your grandma, humor is your friend. Making someone laugh is one of the quickest ways to their heart.
Laughter is powerful. It gets us through tough times and it makes the good times even better. Laughing with someone bonds you together. It creates a camaraderie that lasts. These funny questions to ask can be just as powerful as deep questions.
Use these funny questions to ask a girl create a fun mood. After you’ve made her laugh, anything can happen.
Here are 10 of the best funny questions to ask a girl:
56. If you were given a one-minute ad slot during the Super Bowl, what would you fill it with?
Imagining the reactions of viewers makes this question a laugh riot.
57. What’s something your brain tries to make you do and you have to will yourself not to do it?
Sometimes our brains don’t want what’s best for us.
58. What problem or situation did TV / movies make you think would be common, but when you grew up you found out it wasn’t?
Quicksand and volcanoes always seemed like major threats to look out for, but so far so good.
59. Which fictional character would be the most boring to meet in real life?
Sometimes the most mundane people are the most hilarious.
60. What reality show doesn’t exist, but really should?
Some people are so ridiculous that it’s a shame the whole world doesn’t get to watch them.
61. If you won the lottery, what would you do?
This question really lets you see what type of person she is when unencumbered by money.
62. What is the worst pickup line you’ve heard?
Be sure to use it ironically a few days later. Here are some of the best cheesy lines.
63. What’s the worst food combination you can imagine?
What vile fusion food makes her gag?
64. What’s the most bizarre set of items that you could buy to make a cashier uncomfortable?
Bonus points if you put it to the test.
65. If you won the lottery, how would you quit your job?
Everyone has fantasized about the ultimate walk-out. How would her not-so-graceful exit go?
Sometimes you just want to steer away from the classics and flip the script. These random questions to ask a girl do just that.
These are random questions to ask to use when you want to keep her on her toes. There’s no preparing for them. These random questions are perfect for when the conversation is dying. Use them to kill awkward silences.
Here are 16 of the best random questions to ask a girl:
66. What is your lucky number?
If she doesn’t have one, assign her one.
67. How many pairs of shoes do you own?
And what are her favorites?
68. What is your favorite food?
A classic question that’s always tasty.
69. What is your most essential appliance?
What’s that appliance that she just couldn’t live without?
70. What position do you sleep in?
Upside-down in a closet like a bat?
71. What would be your perfect breakfast?
Food for thought.
72. What is the longest you’ve gone without sleep?
And at what point did she start losing her mind?
73. What do you spend the most time thinking about?
This question helps you to get inside her mind and understand what makes her tick.
74. What is something you will NEVER do again?
We all have regrets. Talk about the times when you learned your lessons.
75. Where is the most relaxing place you have been?
This question conjures visions of tranquil oasis getaways, immediately creating a pleasant mood.
76. What is your favorite piece of technology that you own?
Smartphone? Bug zapper? What does she use most?
77. What’s the most refreshing thing on a hot summer day?
Would she take a cold shower over a snow cone? Air conditioner over a swimming pool? How does she beat the heat?
78. What is your favorite holiday?
Which holiday gets her feeling most festive?
79. Time freezes for everyone but you for one day. What do you do?
This conversation can go anywhere.
80. What is the most terrifying animal of all time?
One person’s spider is another’s shark.
81. If you could only have type once cheese for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Is she more of a wiz or aged Gouda person?
Texting is great because you can be a little bolder than you might be IRL. You also have time to come up with the perfect responses to her questions.
Use these questions to ask girls over text when you want to keep the back-and-forth going. However, you don’t want to overuse them. Know how to text a girl. Know when to back off. Don’t be an incessant texter that blows up her phone constantly. Etc.
Here are 11 of the best questions to ask a girl over text:
82. What’s the most interesting piece of art you’ve ever seen?
You’re on your phone already, so go ahead and look it up and discuss it.
83. What movie title best describes your life?
This is a fun thought exercise that can have some truly hilarious answers. Hopefully she doesn’t go with Mean Girls.
84. What are you looking forward to in the next few months?
Talking about the future is a great way to form a connection.
85. What website do you visit most often?
Check it out and report back.
86. Where would you spend all your time if you could?
Where she prefers to be says a lot about her.
87. What are you most likely to become famous for?
This is a fun question that gives her the chance to talk about aspects of her personality that you might not get to know about otherwise.
88. What question can you ask to find out the most about a person?
Let her do the hard work for you.
89. Would you rather trade some intelligence for looks or looks for intelligence?
This question helps you to understand what she values more in life — beauty or brains.
90. What is the most unusual conversation you’ve ever had?
Maybe you can top it?
91. What’s your favorite saying?
What words of wisdom does she hold dear?
92. What’s your favorite app?
Again, you’re on your phone. Why not learn about a new app?
The great thing about these questions to ask to get to know a girl is that you can use them with new acquaintances and old friends alike. After all, there’s always more to learn about someone.
Here are 10 of the best questions to ask a girl to get to know her:
93. Among your friends or family, what are you known for?
How a person interacts with their friends and family says a lot about them.
94. In your group of friends, what role do you play?
Is she the leader? The fighter? The joker? How does she see herself?
95. What’s the best thing about you?
This question is direct and to the point. It’s an interesting one because obviously you’re only going to get her personal perspective about herself, which may be a tiny bit biased.
96. What were some of the turning points in your life?
If you really want to get to know her, you need to understand her journey and past experiences.
97. When do you feel truly “alive”?
Learn about those magical moments, and try to create them for her.
98. What’s the last adventure you went on?
Everyone loves discussing their latest and greatest escapades.
99. What makes a good life?
This is a deep question that doesn’t get too personal.
100. What irrational fear do you have?
Those little idiosyncrasies make the human species fascinating.
101. What personality trait do you value most and which do you dislike the most?
Try to use her answer to improve yourself.
102. If you had to change your name, what would you change it to?
This is a fun question that makes her think without putting too much pressure on her.
Whether you’re chatting while waiting for dinner or passing the time on a long car ride, these questions will get the verbal ball rolling.
Here are 13 of the best questions to ask your girlfriend:
103. What’s something horrible that everyone needs to try at least once?
Sometimes you need to get your hands dirty to learn.
104. What does a perfect day look like to you?
Now that you know, it’s up to you to create that day (or as close to it as possible).
105. What is a skill you’d like to learn?
This is another question that should be followed with action. Learn that skill with her.
106. What are you most afraid of?
Talking about fears is a great way to overcome them, but don’t push too hard if she doesn’t want to discuss it.
107. What are your top three favorite books and why?
Literature always leads to good conversations, plus you’ll probably get some new additions to your reading list.
108. If you could only keep five possessions, what would they be?
What items are most precious to her? Each of them probably includes an interesting story.
109. If you could travel anywhere, where would you go and why?
Traveling together is one of the best ways to strengthen a relationship. Try to plan a trip based on her answer.
110. What is your favorite type of music?
This could be your chance to learn about a new artist. Make sure you check out her answer if you’ve never heard of it.
111. What TV show or movie do you refuse to watch?
Some things are simply beyond redemption.
112. What age do you wish you could permanently be?
This question opens the doors to deeper conversations about her past.
113. What game or movie universe would you most like to live in?
And what makes that universe so special?
114. If you could only live in one, outdoors or indoors, for the rest of your life, which would you choose?
Next time you’re planning a date, keep her response in mind.
115. What would you choose for your last meal?
Bonus points if you cook it for her that week.
These deep questions ask a girl help to seal the bond you’ve already created. Use them carefully.
It may be tempting to use these deep questions to ask early, but using them too soon can push her away. Establish trust first. Getting to know someone isn’t a race — it’s a marathon. Getting to this point takes time and effort.
Here are 17 of the best deep questions to ask a girl:
116. What gives your life meaning?
This is a big, heavy question. Don’t be surprised if you get a big, heavy answer.
117. If you were forced to relive one 10-minute block of your life again and again for all eternity, what 10 minutes of your life would you choose?
This question really lets you understand what her most precious moments have been. Hopefully you can help to create even better ones.
118. If you could have a video of any one event in your life, what event would you choose?
Sometimes a memory doesn’t do a moment justice.
119. What chance encounter changed your life forever?
Does she have a particular experience that helped to shape who she is today?
120. What incredibly strong opinion or belief do you have that is completely unimportant in the grand scheme of things?
There’s nothing wrong with being passionate about something absolutely pointless. After all, in the grand scheme of things, does anything really matter? This conversation can get existential real fast.
121. What’s the best and worst thing about getting older?
Aging is a natural and unavoidable part of life. Discuss the pros and cons.
122. What do you wish you could tell yourself 10 years ago? What do you think you’ll want to tell your current self 10 years from now?
123. What are the top three things you want to accomplish before you die? How close are you to accomplishing them?
Make sure to keep an encouraging attitude with this one. You don’t want to accidentally make her feel bad or guilty.
124. What bends your mind every time you think about it?
Space? Time? Space and time? What thought makes her brain explode?
125. What do you want to be remembered for?
How you want to be remembered is a direct reflection of who you want to be now.
126. If you could make a 20 second phone call to yourself at any point in your life present or future, when would you call and what would you say?
This question gives her the chance to talk about big moments in her life that might not come up in conversation otherwise.
127. What’s the title of the current chapter of your life?
This question gives her the chance to be creative and introspective at the same time.
128. Was there ever an event in your life that defied explanation?
Has she ever had a supernatural experience? This question can lead to fascinating discussions about that specific experience, as well as the general nature of the world and universe we live in.
129. Who, besides your parents, had the biggest impact on your life?
This question helps you to understand how she became the person she is, as well as the type of person she truly values.
130. What are some strange beliefs that some people have?
One person’s strange is another person’s normal. Try to see through her eyes.
131. Why do you think we dream?
Do dreams have meaning? Or are they completely random?
132. Do you think religion will always exist?
What are her predictions for the future of religion? Will they always be prevalent, or will they fade as time goes on? Why? This question helps you to understand her view on religion without asking directly.
Use these questions to connect to connect with your girlfriend on a deeper level. She’ll love that you want to know more about her, and you’ll tighten the bond between you.
The great thing about these deep questions to ask a girlfriend is that you already know her well enough that you don’t have to worry about getting too personal. At the same time, you should still use them sparingly. You don’t want her to feel like she’s being interrogated.
Here are 14 of the best deep questions to ask your girlfriend:
133. What are you afraid people see when they look at you?
134. What bridges do you not regret burning?
Sometimes you have to put your foot down. Does she regret past leniency?
135. What would a mirror opposite of yourself be like?
This is an indirect way of asking how she sees herself now.
136. If you were put into solitary confinement for six months, what would you do to stay sane?
Everyone has their own coping mechanisms for boredom, but what if that boredom lasted 6 months?
137. What could you do with two million dollars to impact the biggest amount of people?
This is a fun thought experiment that also helps you to see what kind of person she is.
138. If you had a clock that would countdown to any one event of your choosing, what event would you want it to countdown to?
This question helps you to understand what’s most important to her. Is she trying to land the perfect job? Get Married? Have a child?
139. What would you do if you knew you were going to die in one hour?
This is another indirect way of asking what’s most important to her at this point in time.
140. If you could make one rule that everyone had to follow, what rule would you make?
What rule would she instill to make society a better place (or at least make her own life more pleasant)?
141. If you could steal one thing without consequence what would it be?
What is that one item that she covets desperately?
142. Are you the kind of friend you’d want to have as a friend yourself?
How she treats her friends says a great deal about who she is as a person. This question may invite unpleasant feelings, so be careful not to be judgmental.
143. What has been the best decision you’ve made in your life so far?
Hopefully it was dating you.
144. Do you believe love can last a lifetime?
Why or why not?
145. Do you think it’s better to know a lot about one thing or a little about many things?
What’s more important: quality or quantity?
146. If you could change one thing about me, what would it be?
Try not to be offended. This question should lead to positive improvements, not resentment.
How to Start a Conversation with a Girl: 5 Powerful Tips
Knowing how to start a conversation with a girl is a valuable skill. Yes, it can be a bit scary. No, it doesn’t need to be. Like any skill, the more you do it, the easier it gets.
Here are 5 tips to help you start conversations and keep them going:
1. Be Bold
Girls aren’t nearly as frightening as many guys make them out to be. In fact, the often forgotten truth is that they’re people just like you and me.
Yes, engaging girls can be intimidating, especially if you’re interested in them romantically. Remember: they’re nervous too.
2. Don’t Be Too Bold
Sometimes, it’s tough to find that fine line between bold and going too far. If you come on too strong, you’re going to drive her away.
3. Be Authentic
Girls can tell when you’re putting on a show. Trying too hard often reeks of insecurity. If you’re a little shy, embrace that. Don’t try to put on an act.
There are plenty of girls out there who will like you for exactly who you are, and those are the girls you want in your life.
4. Recognize Your Value
It’s so easy to forget that you bring plenty to the table. You can get so caught up in the excitement of getting to know her that you forget that you’re pretty awesome yourself.
Be confident in yourself. Be aware of your best qualities, and try to minimize your not-so-good ones. Be the best version of yourself. Be proud of who you are.
5. Be Prepared
If you want to know how to get to know someone, you need to think from both perspectives — yours and hers.
It doesn’t matter how good your questions are if you’re not providing solid answers.
Before you ask a question, make sure you have an answer in mind for yourself. Conversations go two ways. These questions get you halfway there. It’s up to you to keep the rest of the conversation flowing naturally.
Downloadable List of Questions to Ask a Girl
Here is a downloadable list of questions to ask a girl (right click the image and select Save Image As…):
Looking for More Random Questions to Ask a Girl?
With these questions on hand, you should have no problem getting to know any girl in your life. If you want some more to add to your arsenal, check these out:
- Most of these questions to ask your girlfriend are applicable to other girls too. They’re especially useful if you’re talking to someone you’d like to date eventually.
- Plenty of questions to ask a guy will work for girls too. After all, sometimes girls just want to be treated like one of the guys.
- Our list of questions for couples includes plenty of questions that are perfect for getting to know a girl.
Haste makes waste. And getting to know a girl takes patience.
Use these questions to ask to start by laying a foundation, and build that house from the ground floor up. These questions give you food for thought, but the most important thing is your personality. Girls want genuine guys. If you can’t think of anything to say, don’t stress about it. Trying too hard can really backfire.
Your goal should be to form a legitimate bond. Don’t try to fool her into liking you. If you’re real with her, she’ll like you a lot more than if you try to put on a front.
Moonlight has many nights. If it doesn’t work out, don’t stress. You may have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your princess. Remember that you’re a catch — if not to her, then to someone else. Believe in yourself, and anything is possible.