Conversation starters for couples are essential because a good conversation starter inspires better conversations.
Having written loads of blogs about interesting questions, I gathered these questions for couples as conversation starters to help you out.
10 Best Conversation Starters For Couples
There are going to be a ton of ways to start a great conversation with your S/O. These can be used while making dinner together, picking out a movie on Netflix, or driving on the way to see your parents.
Knowing how to start a conversation is an art, but this will give you a great start.
1. What's worse, Starbucks getting your order wrong or finding a motorcycle in a parking spot you thought was empty?
Whether you're on your first date or 100th, this will get a smile from anyone you ask. It's also an excellent starter for a rant session.
2. What food best describes your personality?
Use words that describe you to describe food. You may be a luxurious and saucy pizza while she is sweet and wholesome Orange Chicken order from Panda Express (keeper for sure).
3. If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
This is just plain fun. It's also going to make planning anniversaries, dates, and special occasions easier. You never know, you may have been shelling out tons of cash for fancy wine when the way to her heart is a pint of Cherry Garcia.
4. What are your five most important personal values?
Values are essential to relationships. Some of these values may make or break yours. Start discovering these deal-breakers early on.
5. What kind of physical touch best says "I love you" to you?
You may be kissing her on the cheek and not realize that what she really needs is a strong hug to make her feel loved. This will make you two closer together.
6. What is your favorite type of romantic gesture?
Roses might be too generic. Find out what she gets the most from so that you can be her knight in shining armor when she needs it most.
7. How can I help you when you're angry?
We've all been there. Someone says the wrong thing at the wrong time and makes things 1000% times worse. Ask this question so you can figure out how to diffuse the situation.
8. What one thing can I do to improve our relationship?
Communication can be broken down into three components: what someone says, what they want, and what they need- all of these need to be addressed for a well-rounded relationship. Hit on all three of these points early and often.
9. What do you remember most about the day we first met?
Your eyes, the way your hair was a mess, or maybe the Italian hoagie was on point. Think of the five senses with this one. The more you remember your favorite memory, the more you love.
10. What are some things you like to do alone?
Maybe this activity or guilty pleasure they do alone is something you can take part in. From meditation to meal prep, you can always find ways to grow together.
Share This Image On Your Site
10 Fun Questions To Ask Your Partner
Sometimes, it can be difficult to find topics to talk about with your partner — especially if they are somewhat on the silent side!
11. Pickles, tuna fish, or ghost peppers. You must add one of these to every dish for the rest of your life. Which one do you choose?
Just so you know, you may have to adjust your cooking after that! But all of these are delightful, nonetheless.
12. Do you think there are aliens on other planets?
Alien life is something fun to talk about. Do they exist? Better still: are there aliens or our planet?
13. What's your plan if there was a zombie apocalypse?
With any luck, you shouldn't have to put it to use! Still, being prepared is better than having no plans for the impending apocalypse.
14. What romantic movie would you watch all over again?
As a follow-up on this question, you should ask, "Wanna watch it now?" Boom! Instant movie date.
15. What is the craziest thing you have on your bucket list?
Everyone has a bucket list. Wouldn't it be fun if the both of you spend time checking out every single item on that list?
16. If you could have a superpower, would you let a family member know your secret?
With great power comes great responsibility. Do you think your secret would be safe with this family member? Would you rather spend time keeping it from them?
17. What bad habit is your biggest regret in life?
Everyone has regrets in life. What did this habit do to you? Would you want a do-over if you get the chance?
18. Who would be the celebrity crush you could have as a best friend?
Is it Tom Hanks? Is it Megan Fox? Idris Elba? There are a lot of good-natured and down-to-earth stars to choose from.
19. What is your favorite movie you could watch all over again in your spare time?
Some movies are just so good that you can't get enough of them. It's like the more you watch these movies the more they become interesting.
20. How important is intimacy in long-term relationships?
Intimacy is an essential factor in different relationships. Of course, intimacy is a broad idea. For example, telling each other your deepest darkest secrets and farting in the same room are both expressions of intimacy.
13 Funny Conversation Openers For Couples To Have A Great Bonding Time
Romantic conversation starters can grow boring. Love can't always be serious and passionate. Knowing funny questions to ask is a nice touch in a relationship. Find ways and reasons to laugh together with these funny conversation starters. Trust me. If you can't laugh at your S/O, you can't laugh at anyone.
21. What futuristic thing do you wish your clothing could do?
Maybe you want an iPhone chip in your head, or maybe you want a personal robot. All are awesome and all can be possible at the rate we are going.
22. What is the most embarrassing moment you ever went through?
You might have been the most emo kid in high school. Or your past relationships might be a tad cringey. Share your phase with her and see if you can catch wind of an embarrassing photo or tweet to use as ammo later on.
23. Have you ever kissed someone accidentally?
Hey, it happens – and when it does, it can be weird and embarrassing. Show your vulnerable side to her and maybe she'll tell you a story that's equally embarrassing and weird.
24. Would you rather be locked inside a creepy old building with your ex-boyfriend/girlfriend or inside an amusement park with a celebrity?
Creepy buildings are scary. Creepy clowns are even worse and staying with an ex in a creepy building, far worse.
25. What was the strangest punishment your parents ever gave you?
Some moms get creative with their baking tools. See if her mom used more than a wooden spoon to drop the hammer (let's hope it didn't come to that).
26. What's something you love that other people think is gross?
You may think cottage cheese is the worst thing to hit your palate and find out that she puts it on her morning toast. What's gross and why? Taste? Texture? Color? Find out.
27. If your job gave you a surprise three-day paid break to rest and recuperate, what would you do with those three days?
Some people want to order three large pizzas and lock themselves into Gray's Anatomy while others want to build a replica model of the Titanic.
28. If we could do only one activity together for the rest of our lives, what would you choose?
Painting, Zumba, traveling, or raising a family, share your thoughts with your S/O and see if you can envision a future full of brushes, spandex, luggage, or diapers.
29. If money were no object, what would you have for breakfast every day?
See if material things play a high priority or not with your S/O. Is it oatmeal with blueberries or scrambled eggs on a yacht in the Cayman Islands?
30. What was your biggest "why didn't I start this sooner" moment?
Better late than never. Even if your S/O doesn't have this experience they may want to in the future, and you can probably help make it happen.
12 Questions Couples Can Ask Each Other Through Text
In a relationship, it can sometimes feel like you've talked over just about everything, and you just don't know what to say.
Don't let your partnership feel stale. Spice it up with some text conversation starters that will take you back to the beginning of getting to know one another.
31. What is the most painful thing you’ve ever heard?
This is a great question if you want a long chat. Does it haunt you still? How did this thing affect you as a person? Does it still affect you?
32. What do you think is our greatest strength as a couple?
Is it effective communication? Openmindedness? Is this strength constant? How can you make it even better?
33. What’s a new hobby that you think we should take up as a couple?
A Valentine's Day tradition, perhaps? Some couples like doing things together to strengthen their relationship. Why would it add to your relationship?
34. How much alone time is ideal for you in a relationship?
This question will tell you if you're spending enough time together or if you need more time together. Take note of your partner's answer.
35. If you were a billionaire, what is the craziest place you would go to?
If you didn't have to worry about money or even time, where would you go? Why choose this specific place? Who would you take to this place?
36. What is your favorite part of my body?
Your girl's answer might surprise you. Men, you have to be ready to blush for whatever you'll hear from this question.
37. If we were in a long-distance relationship, what is the best gift you could give me once we meet again?
Long-distance relationships are hard. But they are the real test of faith and dedication to your partner. What gift do you think would perfectly express your love and affection for the love of your life?
38. What is the weirdest thing you have ever done while you were drunk?
Everyone becomes a little crazy with a bit of alcohol in their system. Much better and funnier if you have footage of yourself doing this weird-drunk activity.
39. What traits can make a great relationship work?
Ideal relationships are different for each couple. What works for you might not work for others. Do you apply the 5 love languages? This topic can help you understand what each other wants in a healthy relationship, nonetheless.
40. Do you believe in soulmates?
This question might be cheesy, but it's still fun to ask. What are soulmates? How do you define soulmates?
41. If I were your future spouse, what would be your marriage vows to me?
For better or for worse, what would you promise your girlfriend or soon-to-be-wife? You better get a notepad and pen ready, husband.
42. What's your biggest mistake that ruined a perfect date?
Some things you regret doing on a date might haunt you for a while. But once you get over that idea, everything's just hilarious in hindsight.
11 Conversation Starters For Couples That Will Lead To Deeper Connection
Sometimes you need to dive deep in order to find what you're looking for. Don't be afraid to use one of these deep conversation starters and deep questions to ask to really get an idea of her deeper needs.
43. Would you consider yourself an introvert, extrovert, or ambivert?
Introvert = reserved, a homebody. Extrovert = approachable, outgoing. Ambivert = A mix of both. A good way to find this out would be a question like, "would your friends consider you an introvert, an extrovert, or a mix of both?"
44. Do you believe in love at first sight?
The tingles in your arms, the butterflies in your stomach, or even the shakes. Love, at first sight, is real when you can't stop thinking about someone after just one meeting.
45. What do we do if we can't agree on something important/big?
This one can be a deal breaker if not done properly. So, emphasize the importance when asking this to your S/O. All too often have couples deferred issues and it ultimately becomes their downfall.
46. What's something you are self-conscious about?
People can have the silliest reasons for being self-conscious about their imperfections while others may have deep emotions behind them. Ask them if it's their handwriting, the pitch of their voice, their sneeze, etc.
47. What is one area in your life where you feel like something is missing?
It's important in a relationship to help your S/O on the path that is life. And that help may come in helping them achieve a goal, a milestone, or challenge. Ask them if there is something small or big that is missing. Maybe you can be just the one to help.
48. Is there anything you consider absolutely unforgivable?
Affairs, deception, or not calling your mother. So many people find flat-out wrong things. What may seem small and a non-issue can be a red flag to someone's beliefs and values.
49. What things won't you compromise on?
You may want to talk about what it means to compromise before finding out what they won't compromise on. Help your S/O find a middle ground in something they were once absolute on.
50. Have you ever felt insecure in a relationship?
They may have had a previous relationship or the one that they are in with you now. Remember, communication is all about what they say, what they need, and what they want.
51. How will you handle it if your family doesn't approve of your dream job?
Ideally, your family should be there to support you. In turn, you still have to listen to them especially if they mean well with their opinions.
52. What disappointed you about your last relationship and led you to want to end things?
Make sure you set aside ample time for this one. You may open a box that truly needs to be opened, and hopefully, you can find some lessons on what works for your S/O along the way.
53. If you were a famous person, what kind of legacy would leave people?
What would you want everyone to remember you for? What kind of big impact do you want to give the world before you go?
Downloadable And Printable List of Conversation Starters For Couples
Here is a downloadable and printable jpg/pdf list of conversation starters for couples (right-click the image and select Save Image As...):
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have some questions on how to make your talks more meaningful? I'll answer them for you here.
How do you make sure she enjoys your company?
There are two ways to know: she'll explicitly say so, or she'll find ways to hang out with you. Either way, if she really likes being with you, the signs would be very easy to read.
What interesting topics should I discuss with my girlfriend?
Some topics might be too touchy to discuss. But the best ones to talk about are whatever both of you like. Do galaxies and space fascinate your girlfriend? Do both of you like games? Talk about your favorite thing.
How do I start a flirty conversation topic with her?
Flirty conversation starters might be a challenge as there is no fixed recipe. So how about you begin with a compliment and not small talk? Talk about how your girlfriend's smile lights up your day. What makes her a unique person? If you're a married couple? Take note.
What should I do to keep a discussion going with my girlfriend?
Keeping communication going with your girlfriend is one of the best activities you can do together. Here, you can gauge each other's ideas on different things and topics. Try out a fun question here and there. It should be your favorite way of conversing.
How do I get to know her better?
Get your girlfriend, or anyone for that matter, better by asking them questions. Questions are your best friend here, mate. Asking the right questions is the secret of good communication, meaningful conversation, and happy couples.
How To Start A Conversation With Your Partner
Before we get into the great conversation starter list for couples, you might want to know some steps on how to start.
1. Gauge their Mood
Look at your S/O's nonverbal cues (short answers, no eye contact, leans in when answering) to get a good idea of where they are at in the day. If she doesn't make eye contact when she normally does, ask how she's feeling. If she is scratching a label off of a bottle, then find out what's on her mind.
2. Make A Strong Introduction
Shoot for a topic that she isn't used to from the get-go. This can be an accident you saw on the way to work, a co-worker getting fired, all the way to last week's episode of your favorite TV show.
3. Follow Up With A Compliment
Your partner works really hard to have those on-point eyebrows (thank me later for this compliment) or great outfits day in and day out. It will feel especially valued when it comes from you. Remember, noticing the small details goes a long way. Whether it's new shoes or she dyed her hair, you'll be sure to be on top of it.
4. Use A Chat Vehicle
What's a chat vehicle? It's an item that users can physically see that you can both point to and talk about. Things like puppies, food, Instagram feeds, and the fancy plates at the restaurant you're at.
5. Whatever You Do, Be Confident
Like they say in sales, it's not what you say, it's how you say it. Whether you can pull this off naturally or need to practice in the mirror before picking her up, know that confidence can be seen a mile away, and make a huge difference, and she'll know she's hanging out with the right person.
More Conversation Starters for Couples
We got you covered. We have plenty of ideas to light up your relationships:
- Questions to ask your girlfriend will give you a fresh perspective on amazing insights and lively conversations with her.
- Would you rather questions are a tried and true way of getting answers. This game is a fun way of seeing what she is up for.
- Finally, our Conversation Topics will keep the conversation wheel turning no matter what situation you're in.
Now, remember. Use a good conversation starter at the right time. Depending on the situation, use our funny conversation starters or deep conversation starters—no need for 101 conversation starters or conversation cards.
There are some great conversation starters for couples to give you that charismatic boost next time you want to start better conversations. If you run out of questions to ask, make sure to come back to our conversation starters and questions for couples.