Jasper | Oct 12, 2020 | 0
73 Best Things To Talk About – Never run out of topic.
New? Start here. | This post contains affiliate links. That means that we receive a commission for purchases made on them (more info).
Needing things to talk about when you find yourself in a room of new people? Being perpetually tongue-tied is difficult and knowing how to start a conversation is hard. And knowing how to keep a conversation going with a girl is even harder!
What you really need is a list of things to talk about when your brain fails to come up with great conversation starters. Well don’t worry, we have you covered!
16 Best Things To Talk About
When is comes to finding the best things to talk about, all you need to do is have a few great topics up your sleeve. By having these up your sleeve you are sure to turn into the life of the party.
Here are the 16 best things to talk about:
1. What is the craziest, most outrageous thing you want to achieve?
And we’re off the mark with a question that is sure to turn a few heads, and get some interesting answers!
2. Have your parents influenced what goals you have?
As questions go, this one is both personal and interesting.
3. What is a fashion trend you are really glad went away?
Everyone has one. Corded trousers and tinted sunglasses anyone?
4. Do you play any musical instruments?
Knowing that someone knows how to play a musical instrument is a great conversation starter. And who knows, it could lead to you joining your first band!
5. How do you get along with the people you work with?
Sometimes this question can seem a little bit loaded but sometimes it is great to get the drama off your chest.
6. What is your guilty pleasure?
Everyone and I mean everyone has a guilty pleasure? So why not ask what theirs is?
7. What word or saying from the past do you think should come back?
They say the oldies are the best and why shouldn’t that apply to sayings and words?
8. What do you bring with you everywhere you go?
Even the most laid back people have their favorite item they like to bring everywhere with them.
9. What is the most annoying habit someone can have?
If you want a question that will give you a really long answer, this question is the best one to ask.
10. What is the strangest dream you have ever had?
Dreams can be everything from scary to downright weird. But hearing about other people’s dream is always interesting.
11. If you had intro music, what song would it be? Why?
Some people have never thought about what their theme tune would be and when you ask this question it really gets people thinking.
12. Where in the world would you love to live most? Why?
From the Rocky Mountains to the outback of Australia, everyone has a place they would love to move to.
13. What was the best invention of the last 50 years?
This one is a bit of a head-scratcher. With so many inventions in the pst 50 years, how can you choose one?
14. Where is the most awe inspiring place you have been?
When it comes to finding new placed to travel to, the answer to this question will give you some great ideas.
15. What book has influenced you the most?
You can tell a lot about a person by the book they choose. And you never know, you might get some great book suggestions out of the answer too!
16. Can you describe your life with a six word sentence?
This question is a great way to not only start a conversation with one person but to give everyone in the group an opportunity to get to know each other.
There are times in life when conversations take a toll and you need some interesting things to talk about. From religion to the meaning of life, having a few interesting things up your sleeve will help keep the conversation going.
Here are the 12 best interesting things to talk about:
17. Is there such a thing as a soul?
While asking the question itself may take a small amount of time, the answer to this question could take a while.
18. Is happiness an end goal or simply a by-product of other things?
If you enjoy making people’s brains go to mush, try this one out.
19. Could we ever accurately predict the future? Or does the “spooky action” of the quantum world, as Einstein put it, mean things are inherently unpredictable?
Interesting? Yes. Is there a possibility the answer to this question could take up all space and time? Also yes.
20. Is love dependence on another?
Is it? Well, you can find out by asking this question.
21. Do you speak any other languages?
For all of us that only speak one language, talking to someone who can speak multiple languages is always interesting.
22. What local events are you looking forward to?
This is a great question because you get to know the person a little better AND you find out where the best gigs in town are.
23. Is there life after death?
Everyone has their own opinions on this. From the joyful to the downright depressing, this topic is definitely a conversation starter.
24. Do you like spending time alone or with friends?
Sometimes it can feel like you are the only person who doesn’t want to be at the party. So why not ask this question and see if you can find someone else that feels the same way.
25. Do you think there ever will be a Third World War?
In the current climate, it would seem like the answer is always yes.
26. Does anyone believe in ghosts?
When you ask this question, don’t freak the other person out by staring blankly behind them. You know, like you’ve seen a ghost.
27. What smell brings back great memories?
From freshly cut grass to clean laundry, everyone has a smell that brings back great memories.
28. What is the best way to stay motivated and complete goals?
When you find it hard to motivate yourself, why not inspire yourself by asking this question?
29. Do you love working there or are you doing it for the money?
Ah, the age-old question. Chances are the answer will be “the money” but don’t take my word for it.
When you find yourself not knowing how to talk to girls, trying to find things to about with a girl can be really difficult. But when you have a couple of topics up your sleeve, you’ll talk all night long.
Here are 10 best things to talk about with a girl:
30. Where is the best place to take a date?
Trying to guess where to bring your date is confusing. But asking them will set you on the right track.
31. Do you enjoy cooking?
This may be only one question but leads the way into the culinary universe very quickly.
32. What is your favorite holiday destination?
Some people say traveling makes you more interesting. Well, it definitely gives you something to talk about.
33. What are you best at?
Nobody likes to brag but sometimes people just need to be asked the question to tell you all about their special skills.
34. Are you afraid of a particular thing/person?
From being afraid of spiders to being afraid of dinosaurs, you will be amazed at what people are afraid of.
35. Which is your favorite song/movie?
This question can keep the conversation going for a while.
36. How would you define self-confidence?
Self-confidence is different for everybody so by asking this question you are sure to get some great answers.
37. How would you like to be remembered?
Some answers to this will be heart-felt while some others will be downright hilarious!
38. How close are you to your family?
Unless you know the person really well, it is probably best not to ask this question.
39. Do you believe in love at first sight?
Not only is this question really cute, but it can really help you get to know her.
You know that moment when you meet your crush but you don’t know how to start a conversation with them? Well, what you need are a few brilliant things to talk about with your crush.
Here are the 14 best things to talk about with your crush:
40. What Would Your Parents Be Surprised To Learn About You?
Knowing a secret about your crush can be really interesting, and sometimes really cute.
41. What Superpower Would You Have For One Day?
They say that there is no one right answer to this question. But they are wrong. It’s obviously teleportation.
42. What Is Your Most Bizarre Pet Peeve?
No matter how laid back people are, they always have a pet peeve. Find out what theirs is by asking this question.
43. What’s The First Thing You Would Do If You Won The Lottery?
With a large jackpot waiting to be won, the combination of answers to this question is limitless.
44. What Was Your Favorite TV Show As A Kid?
Reminiscing about your favorite TV show is always a great way to keep a conversation going.
45. What’s The First Thing You’d Do If You Were The Opposite Sex For One Day?
When it comes to questions that can be both hilarious and a little bit on the adult side, this one is the winner.
46. What Kind Of Music Are You Into?
Asking people this question can lead to hours of discussion and coming away with some new bands to listen to.
47. What’s Your Favorite Movie?
With so many movies out there, chances are you have never heard of this one.
48. Would you rather be twice as smart or twice as happy?
Always a difficult question to answer but it is always answered with an intelligent answer.
49. Apologize or ask permission?
If you really want to know how motivated and determined your crush is, ask this question.
50. What’s your most listened to song?
Some people have listened to a particular song every day of their lives, but it might be too embarrassing to admit.
51. What celebrity would you trade lives with?
Everyone has their favorite celebrity, but would your crush trade their lives with them? Ask this question to find out.
52. What fictional character reminds you most of yourself?
This question can tell you more about her than any other question out there.
53. If you knew you would die in one week, what would you do?
When it comes to questions that tell you a lot about someone, this one is the winner.
It doesn’t matter how long you have been going out with each other, sometimes it is hard to find things to talk about with your girlfriend. So why not try some of these conversation starters?
Here are 7 best things to talk about with your girlfriend:
54. Where do you see yourself five years down the line?
As answers to this question go, the answer could be very good or very bad.
55. Would you like to settle down in a different city/country/state?
When you want to broaden your horizons, sometimes you just need someone to move with you. Asking this question will help you know if your girlfriend is willing to move too.
56. How far would you go to achieve your dreams?
Everyone has some level of motivation but the lengths that a person will go to to get what they want will amaze you.
57. What has been your biggest regret?
We all have one. And sometimes it is better to talk about it than let the weight of it stay on your shoulders.
58. What is the wildest thing you’ve ever done?
From skydiving to wild parties, the answers to this question are endless.
59. Have you ever written a love letter
We all wrote love letters when we were younger, but will she admit it?
60. What is the biggest surprise of your life?
To answer this question, people generally have to think for a long time so be patient. The answer is going to be amazing.
First dates can be stressful but having things to talk about on a first date can make it so much easier. From knowing how to start a conversation to knowing how to keep the conversation going, these topics are sure to have you talking for a long time.
Here are the 13 best things to talk about on a first date:
61. If you could hop on a plane right now, where would you go?
Sometimes this question is great to get a sense of escapism. But sometimes it ends with a ticket to Hawaii and a massive credit card bill.
62. Where is ‘home’?
This is a cute and personal question that is sure to open up the conversation.
63. Did you have any nicknames growing up? Now?
For many, nicknames are embarrassing but 9 times out of 10, they are hilarious!
64. What were you like as a child?
Everyone has wild stories about when they were a kid and everyone loves to talk about them.
65. What’s on your bucket list?
Who doesn’t have things to do on their bucket list? Who knows you might just be able to do some together.
66. What are you most afraid of?
Everyone has something they are afraid of and everyone loves talking about it.
67. Do you have a type?
If you ask this question, be prepared to realize that her type might not be you.
68. Are you more of a TV person, or do you prefer movies?
This is a great question to ask when you want to know what to put on the TV during a cozy weekend.
69. If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?
For some people it is chocolate, for others it is cheese. I side with the latter.
70. What do you like to do when you’re not working?
Finding out what she likes to do during her time off will give you a great insight into their life.
71. Are you a cat person or a dog person?
Always decisive, this question is sure to start the age-old dog or cat argument.
72. What’s the worst pickup line you’ve ever heard/dished out?
There are some terrible pickup lines out there. So its best to hear them now so you know not to use them later.
73. Who would you invite to your dream dinner party?
This question is best followed up with the question “Why?”. It is a real conversation starter.
Whether you are talking to people at a family gathering or to colleagues at a Christmas party, its best to have some stuff to talk about in the back of your mind. But how do you pick the best topics?
Here are 3 easy steps how to pick the best things to talk about:
1. Pick your audience
Before you pick, you need to know a little about your audience. Each audience is different and like different conversation techniques. For example, there is no use talking stocks and shares with a group of six-year-olds when they will just get bored. Change that subject to the latest blockbuster movie character and you are sure to captivate your audience.
2. Make sure the setting is right
A little like talking stocks and shares with an audience that have no interest in the topic, when you choose, you need to make sure that you are doing it in the right setting. Knowing how to start a conversation all depends on the environment and the topic. Is the topic personal? Should you really ask this question in private? Should I really ask a question about the meaning of life in the middle of a birthday party? You get the gist. Making sure the setting is right is just as important as choosing the topics.
3. Be yourself
When you have chosen things you want to talk about, remember the most important thing: just be yourself. Being yourself and authentic to who you are the most important things when it comes to conversation. So when you don’t know how to keep a conversation going, just remember to be yourself and everything else will drop into place.
Downloadable and Printable List of Things to Talk About
Here’s a downloadable and printable list of things to talk about (right click the image and select Save Image As):
More Things To Talk About
Do you need even more topics? Well, you’re in luck.
- Sometimes starting conversations is difficult. So head over to our list of conversation starters to get yourself started.
- Once you are in full speaking flow, you need to have a few conversation topics ready to go. Check out our conversation topics for more.
- We all love to speak about ourselves but if you let someone tell them about themselves, you are sure to get some brownie points. Head over to our list of questions to ask for some ideas.
It doesn’t matter if you are a master linguist or the shyest person in the room, knowing how to start a conversation is one life’s most important hacks. From corporate events to family outings, have a few topics to talk about will help the conversation flowing.
When you are choosing topics and things to talk about, always remember your audience and the setting. These are the main components in keeping a conversation going. And while these things may be important, remember to be yourself and let your own personality shine through.
So know that you’re armed with a huge list of things to talk about, why not go out there and show them how to keep a conversation going?