Sam Whittaker | Mar 11, 2021 | 0
116 Great Conversation Topics – Spark conversations and connections.
New? Start here.
Conversation topics prepared beforehand is a great way to break the ice.
…Because conversation is an art form, with words and thoughts and ideas as its medium. Becoming a skilled conversationalist gives you the tools necessary to put people at ease, make friends everywhere you go, and have genuine, meaningful interactions with anyone you’re interested in getting to know better.
Not only will developing your range of conversation topics and questions to ask give make you more enjoyable to talk to and be around, but it will also ease your nerves in any social situation, making every trip out of the house a new opportunity to practice the almost-forgotten art of conversation.
No matter what situation you may find yourself in, we’ve got you covered:
13 Best Conversation Topics to Start a Conversation
Whether you’ve known someone for years or are just meeting them, having a broad selection of conversation starters will give you the exact tool you need to get them interested and engaged in talking with you.
Here are 13 of our best topics for starting a conversation:
Crazy and Unique
Everyone you talk to has something unique about themselves to offer. By asking questions that prompt them to start talking about themselves in more specific terms, you can find those crazy and unique qualities and show genuine interest in what the person you’re talking to cherishes most about themselves.
1. What can you do that no one else can?
What makes them unique? Everyone loves talking about themselves.
2. What is the craziest story you’ve ever heard?
Getting your conversation partner to tell stories is a great way to start a friendly conversation.
3. What is the nerdiest thing you do in your spare time?
Everyone has a secret nerdy side that they can talk about at length.
4. If you could teleport where would you go, and why?
Superpower questions encourage us all to break outside of our own limitations, even if only in our minds.
5. What is one of the things you have on your “bucket” list?
This is an infinitely versatile question, because everyone has something they want to do before they die.
6. Would you accept a one-way ticket to Mars?
Elon Musk may be doing it soon, and the implications make for a fascinating conversation.
Getting in touch with someone’s desires and aspirations brings you closer to the things that matter most to them. You’ll find that once you bring up a topic that makes someone take notice on a deeper level, friendship comes easily.
7. Have you ever tried to do something you know you would be really bad at? What was it?
Attempting what we’re not good at shows bravery — and really, who doesn’t want to be brave?
8. What is the one thing you have always wanted to do?
A natural follow-up is to ask “what keeps you from doing it?”
9. If you could win any award what would it be, and why?
What would someone you’re talking to most like to be recognized for?
10. What do you like more, being a leader or a follower?
Not everyone is a natural born leader, but everyone has an opinion on where they stand in society.
Introducing conversation topics over common hobbies or affinities is a low-pressure way to start talking with someone you don’t know much about yet. After a few of these, the conversation should be warm enough to move into more specific topics.
11. What’s the best book you’ve read this year?
Author John Waters had a lot to say about people who don’t read books; follow his advice in your conversations.
12. What character traits do you share with your favorite animal?
Astrology’s zodiac holds that we all share traits with animals, and peoples’ natural love of animals is an easy topic to start with.
13. What is the first thing you notice about someone when you meet?
First impressions powerfully inform how we think about people, and reveal what is most important to whom you are talking to — making for an easy transition into deeper conversation.
7 Best Interesting Conversation Topics
Becoming a great conversationalist isn’t only about being interesting, but having interesting conversation topics and questions to ask goes a long way towards making conversations lively and engaging.
Try these 7 questions, our best interesting conversation topics:
If you’re looking to craft a truly interesting conversation, opening the dialogue up to someone’s personal creative genius always tends to lead to unexpected results. Use a few of these questions to prompt imagination and storytelling, and you’ll open up a whole world of possibilities for conversations to follow.
14. If you were on a desert island, but your needs for food and shelter were totally taken care of, what one luxury item would you wish for?
Basic needs are essential, but what happens after those are satisfied is what makes life worth living.
15. If you were a movie director, what genre of movie would you make?
Engage their creative side with this question, and follow up with questions about how the movie would be.
16. Which color best reflects your personality and why?
Colors are intimately tied to our psychology, so the answer to this says a lot about someone’s mind.
17. When you go to the zoo, what animal would you most like to be? Why?
Spending time outdoors, like the animals a person likes most, makes life better and more interesting.
This or That
This or that questions are when you pose a question as “either/or” gives both you and whomever you’re talking to a chance to share your opinions. If you agree, you can talk about how your opinions are similar; if you disagree, it’s open to friendly debate to continue the conversation.
18. Would you make modern technology disappear if you could?
This question gives insight into their feelings about the downsides of our fast-paced modern world.
19. Have you ever been happy that you lied?
Is lying ever justified? It’s a topic that’s certain to lead to an interesting debate.
20. Is mass media a positive influence on modern life, or negative?
How a person receives their information determines a lot about the choices they’ll make with it, for better or worse.
21. University or life experience, which do you feel best prepares you for life?
Our college system has many critics, but plenty of supporters as well. A polarizing topic like this guarantees an interesting conversation.
11 Best Funny Conversation Topics
Humor is a uniquely human capacity, and being able to make someone laugh is an art of its own. Adding a few funny questions to ask into your conversation is an easy way to lighten the mood and engage smoothly and confidently.
Use these 11 funny conversation topics to keep the mood light and fun:
Once you get a conversation off to a humorous start, it has a tendency to develop itself to a satisfying conclusion. Use these off-beat storytelling prompts to spark a collaborative effort.
22. How would you conquer the earth?
Get in touch with their inner evil villain and let them craft dastardly schemes.
23. If you could send a message to an alien species, what would it be?
You don’t need to be a conspiracy theorist to find humor in what an alien race might think of humans.
24. What animal would you want to bring with you on a journey through outer space?
From this question, you can craft a whole “space odyssey” story together.
25. Would you rather be a giant rodent or a tiny elephant?
Whichever answer you get, you can follow up with what a “day in the life” of that animal would be like.
You don’t have to put the whole burden of being funny in a conversation on yourself. Ask these questions to get your conversation partner to open up with their own unique humor, so that you can both contribute to a fun and entertaining conversation!
26. What’s your best karaoke song?
Even the most mild-mannered people can become wild karaoke singers. You may be surprised at the interesting answers you’ll get to this one!
27. Are there inappropriate jokes you can laugh about all day?
With the right person, sharing your best dirty jokes is a great way to bond.
28. What’s the most ridiculous thing you’ve caught yourself doing in autopilot mode?
Funny things happen sometimes when we turn our brains off and go about our daily habits.
29. What’s the funniest thing you did because you were bored?
Boredom is a plague of modern society, and can lead to the funniest ways to alleviate its discomfort.
30. What’s the weirdest habit you had as a child?
It’s such a funny question that there’s an entire subreddit dedicated to it!
31. What is the oldest thing in your refrigerator?
We all have that one thing we’ve meant to throw out, but keep forgetting; it’s often the funniest item in the house.
32. What is the worst pet you have ever had?
Forget great pets: It’s the awful ones that are really funny.
33. If you could swim in any liquid what would it be and why?
This question consistently gets funny reactions because of how easy it is to imagine.
13 Best Deep Conversation Topics
As you get to know someone better, you may find yourself wanting a stronger connection with them. Giving yourself a few deep conversation topics and deep questions to ask will point you in the right direction towards deeper, more meaningful connections with anyone you talk to.
Use these 13 deep conversation topics to really get to know someone better:
As a topic of conversation, perhaps none is more universally applicable than talking about human nature. Because we all share in this gift called life, everyone is qualified to talk about how they experience it with their own unique human nature.
34. What does it mean to be human?
It’s a question as old as thought, and as deep as the entire field of philosophy.
35. Are humans better at creation or destruction?
Contemplating this question has led the world’s greatest minds to deep insight on the human condition.
36. What is the best way to explore human nature: psychology, philosophy, or biology?
Three of science’s classic studies have taken different views on what makes us, us.
37. Will technology be humanity’s salvation, downfall, or neither?
There’s no denying that technology has changed our world. How does the person you’re talking to view that change?
38. Do humans have an essential nature?
The classic “nature versus nurture” argument still sparks deep thought.
Happiness and Satisfaction
Humans seem destined to pursue happiness and satisfaction in their lives, but this is not without its challenges. Anyone you talk to has likely experienced exhilarating highs and painful lows, and sharing your experiences of both can lead to deep connection.
39. What are the things that stand between you and complete happiness?
When we look deeply at the sources of our unhappiness, the answers may be surprising.
40. Is life unfair?
Life can feel so difficult sometimes — but are we the ones making it that way?
41. Why is depression so stigmatized in society?
Being able to talk openly about depression leads us to the deepest parts of our minds.
42. What is true strength?
And how does someone show that they are strong?
43. What makes a person harmful for society?
Without evil, there would be no concept of “good”; so what makes someone “bad”?
44. How do I make the right choices?
All the knowledge in the world isn’t worth anything if it doesn’t help us understand how to make our lives better, deeper, and more fulfilling.
45. Where do I belong?
The question of “home” has inspired treacherous journeys, warfare, and great art. What is deeper than a sense of belonging?
46. What is the point of striving when life is so short?
Is it really worth the effort to change the world around us, if we only have so much time here? Enjoying life is a question sure to start deep conversations.
11 Best Conversation Topics with a Girl
Coming up with a list of questions to ask a girl that you’re interested in helps to take the pressure off of your initial conversation. By planning ahead, you can already know where the conversation is going — and how to lead it where you’d like it to go.
These are our 11 best conversation topics with a girl:
It may be impossible to fully understand what a girl wants, but with a few good questions you can find yourself closer to knowing what will make her happy and satisfied. Ask these questions to probe honestly and sincerely into her innermost desires.
47. If you could do anything you wanted right now, what would it be?
What does she desire most in her life? Could you find a way to do that together?
48. If money was no object, what would you do all day?
Talking about how she would live without the limitation of finances will tell you what she most wants in life.
49. Where do you most want to travel, but have never been?
Travel opens our eyes, and can bring you and her closer together. What are dreams now could be reality soon.
50. What’s the craziest thing you hope to do one day?
Encourage her to embrace her wild side with this question.
51. If you could have any career, what would you choose?
Whatever her calling in life is, she’ll definitely want to talk about it at length.
52. If you were to write a book, what kind would it be?
What’s her area of expertise? Maybe she could teach you a thing or two.
53. When was the time you felt most free?
She’ll feel most like herself when she’s free, which lets you get to know her more genuinely.
People love to talk about themselves, and beautiful women are no exception. Asking her questions about her preferences, likes, and dislikes will help you get to know her better, and know what not to do around her.
54. How would you describe your sense of humor?
Humor is a source of social connection, so a conversation on this is a great bonding opportunity.
55. How important is honesty to you?
Being able to communicate openly and honestly goes a long ways towards making healthy relationships.
56. What do you find most attractive in a man?
If this is a girl you’re interested in, you’ll definitely want to know her answer to this question.
57. What is your earliest memory?
Connecting with a girl’s past will make for an easy, comfortable conversation.
10 Best Conversation Topics with a Guy
Building meaningful friendships and relationships with men starts with knowing the right questions to ask a guy. As you get to know each other better through these conversations, your bond will grow stronger and your lives will become happier and more meaningful.
Use these 10 conversation topics to start talking with any guy:
Goals and Motivations
Men live and die by the strength of their goals and motivations, and any guy you talk to is likely to have something close to his heart that keeps him going even through the worst of times. Sharing your aspirations can be a great way to find common ground to bond on.
58. What would you like to have as your legacy?
Leaving a legacy is a key trait of manliness, and a great conversation topic with any guy.
59. What motivated you to choose your profession?
A man’s work becomes a huge part of his life. Talking about his motivations for work can lead to fascinating conversations.
60. What single thing would you change about the world if you could?
Agency, our ability to change things, is a strong indicator of mental health and a powerful conversation topic for men.
61. What are three things still left on your bucket list?
This question can help you find common ground with any guy over what you want to do with your lives.
62. What’s your most significant current challenge?
Just talking about our challenges can be a powerful opportunity for real guy talk because of how similarly many men think.
63. What is one goal that you plan to accomplish during your adult lifetime?
Having goals keeps people motivated. What motivates the guy that you’re talking to?
Whether it’s camping, cars, superheroes, or the newest small-batch whiskey, guys have a lot of interests that can serve as common ground for “guy talk”. If you find a topic that you’re both passionate about, a great conversation is sure to follow naturally.
64. Who is your least favorite superhero?
Every man has a favorite superhero, but a guy’s least favorite tells more about his preferences.
65. What was your favorite childhood toy?
Even as a guy grows up, he never quite outgrows the toys he loved to play with as a kid.
66. Do you get to do something at work every day that you love?
Work can be a place to make an impact on the world, or a hopeless drag. Which is it for the guy you’re talking to?
67. What outdoor activities do you most enjoy?
Getting out into the great outdoors can be a great opportunity for two guys to really get to know each other.
11 Best Conversation Topics for Couples
Open, honest communication is a key to long-lasting, healthy relationships. By learning a selection of questions to ask your girlfriend and questions for couples, you are both empowered to speak what is on your mind before it has a chance to cause problems in your relationship.
These 11 questions for couples will help you grow closer together:
People in relationships don’t often intentionally keep secrets from each other. Instead, it’s often that the right questions haven’t been asked to reveal parts about your partner that you’d like to know. Remedy that with some of these “secret” questions, and you’ll develop more trust and honesty in your relationship.
68. What are you into, but haven’t told me about?
Sometimes, learning to experiment together is as simple as bringing up a conversation about it.
69. What scares you most about the relationship that we have with each other?
It’s important to talk about your fears together so you’re aware of what brings discomfort in your relationship.
70. What questions should partners ask each other before getting married?
Whether you’re ready to get married or not, the insights from this question are worth talking about.
71. What’s one secret you’ve wanted to tell me, but haven’t?
Honesty is a hallmark of great relationships, and this question asks of it directly.
72. What’s the one thing I do that turns you on the most?
Communication is essential to a healthy sex life and a strong relationship.
Getting to Know Each Other Better
No matter how long you’ve been together, it’s important to continue to ask each other questions that will help you know each other more intimately. Oftentimes, simple questions like these can avoid unintended arguments later.
73. What could I do for you that I don’t do now?
Take the burden of being a mind-reader off of yourself with a conversation about this question.
74. What traits do you think make us a compatible couple?
Focusing a conversation on your strengths lets you know where you can best support each other.
75. What makes you feel the most vulnerable?
Handled well, talking about vulnerability is a great way of connecting on a deeper level.
76. How do you feel about staying friends with exes?
Avoid problems before they start by having an open conversation about this relationship question.
77. What do you think is one thing all men should do when dating?
And most importantly, are you doing that? There’s always room for improvement.
78. When do you last remember laughing with me the most?
Humor brings us closer together in relationships; what can you laugh about together?
11 Best Get to Know You Conversation Topics
Get to know you questions provide the basis for solidifying genuine connections with anyone you might meet.
Use these 11 get to know you conversation topics to find commonalities with someone:
Childhood and Family
The environment that a person grows up in expresses itself through their current position in life. By asking questions about a person’s childhood, you can see deep into what has made their life the way it is today.
79. What experiences shaped your views about money?
A person’s relationship with money will let you know a lot about how they live their life.
80. What was cool about where you grew up?
Childhood experiences form a big part of someone’s personality as an adult.
81. What were some of your favorite games to play when you were a kid?
We can all hope to never lose what made life fun and enjoyable as a kid, and this question gives you an opportunity to connect on that.
82. What is the most valuable life lesson you’ve ever learned?
As we live and learn, we keep life’s most valuable lessons with us — and these help us live better lives in connection with other people.
83. How is your relationship with your family?
Families can be challenging and messy, but always inform a large part of how someone lives there life as an adult.
Talking about a person’s likes and dislikes is a great way to encourage them to open up about life. Once you find some common ground for your preferences, you can develop that into more and deeper conversations.
84. What’s your biggest pet peeve?
While some pet peeves may be justified, most people know how silly theirs are.
85. If you weren’t working in the job you have now, what would you do?
Everyone harbors a secret “dream job”, and this is a great way to ask them about it.
86. What are your top five favorite books of all time?
Reading can make you more attractive to people, and favorite books are a great chance to connect on shared interests.
87. What big life changes have you recently experienced?
It has been said that the only constant in life is change. What is the person you’re talking to going through right now?
88. What is your biggest challenge in life right now?
Challenges give us an opportunity to feel alive, and get to know ourselves and others better.
89. Where would you most like to live?
The choice of where to live deeply affects how someone interacts with the world, and is a great way to get to know them better.
5 fun conversation topics
Funny conversation starters would be a big help to you when you want to get that fun vibe. The best kinds of conversation starters are those that would make the mood more fun and comfortable. You wouldn’t want to start a conversation on a too serious note, would you?
Here are 5 fun conversation topics:
90. What is the weirdest food combination you’ve ever tried?
You might think it’s weird, but for them, it’s pure genius. Maybe you should try it out, too.
91. What is something you wish you could do every day?
What’s something they’re so obsessed with that they don’t mind doing it again and again and again and again?
92. What’s your idea of a perfect playground?
It shows what kind of place makes for a fun place for them. Imagination is the limit here.
93. What’s your favorite word?
For added fun, it can be in any language. Sometimes, there are just some words in other languages that are too fun not to know.
94. What is the worst advice you have given?
Sometimes we’re just not the best people to ask for advice, and that is completely okay. As long as we don’t put other people in danger, of course.
5 random conversation topics
Think fast! That’s what you should do when you suddenly have to start a conversation.
Good for you, there’s a handy list of random conversation starters! No theme. Just random questions that you can spew out when need be. You know you’ll be prepared to meet anyone with this list.
Here are 5 random conversation topics:
95. If you won the lottery, what would be your first big splurge?
Don’t lie and say you’ll give it all to charity. We all know we’re going to splurge on something if we get a crazy amount of money.
96. How many countries have you been to?
With the hundreds of countries there are, what percent of those have you visited? You can even ask them how many more they plan to go to.
97. Who is your favorite celebrity couple ever?
Celebrity break-ups can make us feel like love isn’t real, but your favorite celebrity couple sure gives you a different kind of feeling.
98. Why do you think popular kids are popular?
There are various reasons, for sure, but what is that one thing that just makes a popular kid popular? What do they do that makes them that way? It’s an interesting topic, for sure.
99. What’s your strangest hidden talent?
Have them do it in front of you. That will surely make your day less normal than it usually is.
5 text conversation topics
Sometimes, when we’re not face-to-face with the person we’re talking to, it can be a bit harder to come up with something to talk about. There’s the limitation of just texting, after all.
That won’t be any problem if you equip yourself with the best text conversation starters out there.
Here are 5 text conversation topics:
100. What is your least favorite chore?
There’s just always that one chore that feels like it takes forever to do.
101. What’s your favorite form of social media?
You should probably move your texting or chatting escapades there.
102. What is your favorite guilty pleasure TV show?
No need to be shy. No need to explain. There will be no judging involved.
103. What do you think is the best show on Netflix right now?
Nothing better to text about than the best shows there are on Netflix. With their wide variety, the answer is going to be debatable, which just means a longer texting session.
104. Who do you text the most?
Hopefully, the answer is you because they enjoy talking to you the most.
6 first date conversation topics
First dates are something else. Everyone can agree on that.
It can be hard to stay calm during your first date. When you’re nervous, that just means you can run out of things to say or talk about. Nothing worse than having an awkward first date! Don’t let that happen to you.
You have to always be ready with first date conversation starters for when that time when you just can’t get anything out of your system. Prepared men win.
Here are 6 first date conversation topics:
105. Where do you want to be ten years from now?
You never know, she might say, “spending an evening with you.” Lucky you!
106. What is the worst pickup line you have ever heard?
Don’t dare try it on anyone!
107. What are you most passionate about?
When getting to know her, there’s nothing better than knowing what she is passionate about. It tells a lot about who she is as a person.
108. Have you ever been on a blind date?
If yes, let her tell all the crazy stories there are to tell.
109. What is your funniest memory of your dates?
Dates can be the right place to look for funny memories. Sometimes we get too nervous that we do ridiculous things.
110. What is your favorite weekend activity?
Make sure to do that for your next date.
6 conversation topics with your crush
Your crush makes your heart pound. She makes you nervous. This makes it hard to come up with conversation starters with your crush. You just end up tongue-tied.
If you know the right words to say and the right questions to ask, then it’s a breeze with your crush. You don’t know how far you can go with the right questions.
Here are 6 conversation topics with your crush:
111. What’s the best compliment you’ve ever received?
Here’s a challenge for you: try to top that compliment as the best one she’s ever received.
112. What fun plans do you have for the weekend?
Maybe you can make yourself a part of her plans for the weekend, don’t you think?
113. What makes you the happiest?
The answer doesn’t have to be ‘you’. Make sure you never forget her answer to this so you can always make her the happiest.
114. What is your most embarrassing moment?
Nothing feels better than laughing over our most embarrassing moments.
115. What is the worst first date you have ever been on?
Take notes, bud! Don’t be a part of the running for the worst date ever.
116. Have you ever stalked someone on social media?
The real question is, who hasn’t?
Downloadable and Printable List of Conversation Topics
Here is a downloadable and printable list of conversation topics (right click the image and select Save Image As…):
Looking for More Conversation Topics?
Looking for more great conversation topics to use with people? We’ve got plenty more for you!
- Some of my favorite conversations have stemmed from asking never have I ever questions.
- Interesting, and unexpected. This or that questions pose two simple, but opposite options.
- Another great way for starting conversations is by playing and asking truth or dare questions.
- And, if you’re looking for a great way to get some laughs, try using some of these would you rather questions.
With all of these great conversation topics, you’re fully equipped to get out there with the confidence that you have a great selection of questions to ask that will elicit genuine responses. Get out there and practice, and one day you, too might be a master of the art of conversation!