Funny conversation starters are one of the most powerful tools you can have.
…Because if there were one skill every person worried about their conversation abilities would want to have, it would be humor. We have lots of words for it, all of them positive: “charm” and “wit” used by a “clever” or “amusing” person.
No matter what you call it, though, being funny is a great way to meet people, become successful, and generally get what you want.
But what most people don’t know, is a lot of the work involved in being funny can come down to simply choosing the right questions to ask.
Having the right conversation starters gets you halfway to being that charming, amusing person everyone wants to have a chat with.
If you have a few funny questions to ask ready at hand, you’d be surprised how quickly a great conversation can start up, and just how funny you (and others) can be once you have the opportunity.
57 Great Funny Conversation Starters
To make this resource even better/easier for you to use… I broke down these funny conversation starters into a few different sections (from the best starters to use early in a conversation, to deeper ones that are better towards the end).
I recommend looking through each section, but if you want to jump to one in particular, you can use the links below:
1. What would a world populated by clones of you be like?
Is it the more of you the better or would you get sick of seeing yourself after the third clone? Find out how much your conversation partner loves themselves.
2. What “old person” things do you do?
Prunes every morning or Matlock marathons: no matter what the answer is it’s sure to lead to a few half-embarrassed chuckles.
3. What did you think was cool when you were young, but isn’t cool now?
This is an opportunity to indulge in a little nostalgia that’s also a little self-deprecating. Think of all the trends that seem ridiculous in retrospect: acid-washed jeans, mullets, flannel shirts. There’s lots to work with.
4. If you could have your own reality TV show, what would it be?
Here’s a chance to be amusing and creative at the same time. Pick out the most ridiculous points in popular reality shows and construct your own. Then imagine how it would play out.
5. If you were in a witness protection program, what would be your new name and where would you go?
Innocent McNobody or Gerald Fingerpointer: the options are limitless and limitlessly amusing. There’s also an opportunity to dream about the perfect place to settle and perfect life if you had to start all over.
6. Which of the Seven Dwarfs is most like you?
Are you more a Sleepy or more a Happy? Maybe you should come up with an Eighth Dwarf: Hungry or Awkwardy.
7. What’s the best wifi name you’ve ever seen?
A little like the witness protection question above, but now you’re basing answers on actual experience. If you’re in a crowded area, you could surf around for results right there.
8. If you were a candy bar, which candy bar would you be?
Are you nutty as a Snickers or smooth as the caramel in a Canbury Cream Egg? Maybe you just need a break like a Kit-Kat.
9. How long would you last in a zombie apocalypse?
Everyone always imagines they’re among the survivors in zombie movies, but how long would you actually last? This can open up a lively debate in a group in order to reach a consensus on who would last longest.
10. What would be your weapon of choice?
If those zombies were coming for you, how would you defend yourself? Sure, most people would go for the easy answers like semi-automatics and grenade launchers, but you know someone would go all out in medieval knight armor and broadsword.
11. Would you like a world with magic in it?
What would the world really be like with magic? Here’s your chance to imagine yourself in your favorite fantasy book or show, while also considering the real consequences.
12. If you were given one thousand acres of land, what would you do with it?
Are you the farmer type or have you always wanted to play cowboy? Or, would you take all that land and build a top-secret base for your own secret purposes?
13. If you could hack into any one computer, whose computer would you choose?
Whose secrets do you really wish you knew? Your conversation partners might go for the most powerful people (presidents and business leaders), or they may just wish they knew what their ex- was doing.
14. If you built a themed hotel, what would the theme be and what would the rooms look like?
Another very creative and funny conversation starter where you can build up a whole hotel that either reflects a passion (say, a favorite show or book series) or else something really bizarre (any takers for a cheeses of the world themed hotel?).
15. Would you rather never use social media sites/apps again or never watch another movie/TV show?
Just how important is social media to your conversation partners? Their difficulty in making this choice will give you a good idea of the answer.
16. If you could have dinner with any, currently alive, person in the world, who would it be?
A bit less intrusive than hacking someone’s computer. This is a fun way to ask someone who is the most interesting person alive.
17. What would you do with an extra $1,000 to spend only on yourself?
The answers to this one can span from the genuine or obvious (pay some debt, buy a new gaming system) to the amusing (fill the pool out back with Jell-O).
Keeping a relationship balanced between fun and serious is a difficult task.
You can make it so much easier when you have a few funny conversation starters for couples at the ready, like the ones below.
Choose the ones that would most interest your partner, and spend an evening laughing, getting closer, and enjoying each other’s wit.
18. If you could master any instrument on earth, what would it be?
19. Would you rather have a live-in massage therapist, or a live-in chef?
One of the best conversation starters for couples because it’s actually a sneaky way to find the hidden key to your partner’s heart. Is a massage or a nice meal the get out of jail free card in your relationship?
20. What’s a movie you can practically quote from start to finish?
This question is the best way to cheat and find the perfect movie for your next date night. Then, have fun quoting the whole thing together.
21. Who would play you in a movie about your life? Who would play me?
Ask this question if you dare, and hope your partner sees you as one of Hollywood’s hottest and not one of its amusing trolls!
22. If you could go back in time and make little changes to your childhood, what is one thing you’d learn and master over the years so you’d be an expert at it today?
Find out what your partner really, secretly wishes they could do. Do they dream of playing the piano or being a professional athlete? This question could allow you to help them reach some important goals, and also leaves room for some silly responses.
23. If you could choose to stay a certain age forever, what age would it be?
Were the glory days at age 18 or 25? Or, does your partner think they’re still ahead? Learn to live like your best age together and enjoy discussing old memories.
24. Would you rather have an easy job working for someone else or work for yourself but work incredibly hard?
The balance between work and independence is a tricky one, but discussing it now can help you figure out what your partner wants long term from their career.
25. Would you rather live in your dream home in a sub-par location or live in your dream location in a sub-par home?
Choosing a place to live is one of the toughest things a couple has to do. By asking this question, you get an idea of your partner’s priorities while also having fun with considering the extremes (like deciding between a mansion in a slum or a tent in Beverly Hills).
26. Would you rather never be stuck in traffic again or never get another cold?
What’s more annoying, waiting around or a stuffy nose? Finding this sort of silly stuff out can prepare you for what really bothers your partner and how you can relieve some of the stress.
27. Would you rather have all traffic lights you approach be green or never have to stand in line again?
Waiting is a hassle no matter where you do it, but this is a fun way to discuss what bugs your partner more.
28. If you had to be a Disney prince or princess, who would you choose?
Is your partner more a wily Jasmine or an adventurous Ariel? And are you more Aladdin or Prince Eric? Find out how well your fantasies pair up.
29. If Mars was habitable, would you accept a one-way ticket there?
Fun because of the sci-fi Mars angle, but there’s more to this question. This is a clever way to find out just how adventurous your partner is, and how much they include you in their wildest dreams.
30. If you were immortal for a day, what would you do?
This question can lead to some really zany answers. If you could do anything and not die for one day, what superhuman things would you do? Jump off buildings, crash cars, or rob banks? See what crazy things your partner’s mind comes up with.
31. If you could switch lives with one celebrity, who would it be?
There’s a lot of fun to be had in searching for a celebrity with all the dream life scenarios and none of the baggage that often comes with it. Bonus points if you can hit on a celebrity couple you’d both be happy changing lives with.
32. If you could, would you?
A question this open can lead to either a laugh or a serious confession. Find out which by dropping it in a conversation where your partner could connect it with any number of topics.
Sometimes, you want a little more substance with your humor.
Enjoying a laugh with others is great, but if you’re looking to also cover the important topics in life, you need deep conversation starters that can be funny while holding a lot of promise for a long, interesting on life, love, death, and everything in between.
33. Would you break the law to save a loved one?
A head scratcher with an amusing twist: definitely one of the best deep and funny conversation starters. Here, you can discuss not just whether laws or love are more important, but which silly or serious laws are worth breaking.
34. Would you rather live life with no inhibitions or live life with no stress?
What plagues your conversation partner more: holding themselves back or holding onto the stress of everyday life? Get a serious answer while also having fun considering what you would do without either quality.
35. If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
Modern life is nonstop, and no one has enough free time. Find out what everyone wishes they had time to do. You might also find out who is dying to fight crime at night.
36. You’re a mad scientist, what scientific experiment would you run if money and ethics weren’t an issue?
Who hasn’t wanted to be a James Bond villain at some point? Let your mind roam over the possibilities and practice your evil scientist laugh at the same time.
37. If you became famous, would you enjoy the limelight or miss your privacy?
A fun chance to dream of fame while also considering the costs and benefits of achieving the dream.
38. If you could be anywhere now, where would you be?
A nice open question that invites discussions of far off places and leaves room for nostalgia and amusing responses.
39. If you could witness any event past, present or future, what would it be?
Would you rather be with Alexander the Great as he conquers the world or take down the Berlin Wall? Or, would you rather be with the first people to settle on a new planet? The choice will say a lot about the person you are talking to.
40. What questions would you like to ask a time traveler from 200 years in the future?
A question sure to bring in some very interesting—and some very funny—responses. What is the one thing you want to know about the distant future?
41. Would you rather have a horrible job, but be able to retire comfortably in 10 years or have your dream job, but have to work until you were 60?
Should you love your work, or just get it over with? A great question for after work drinks.
42. Would you rather have a golden voice or a silver tongue?
What gets you farther in life: the perfect voice or using the right words? A deep conversation starter that also gives you the chance to practice your sexiest radio voice with friends.
43. Would you rather change your appearance, or your personality?
This question offers a chance to dream of being a model or having the perfect personality, while leaving room to discuss whether you can really still be you if you change either your appearance or personality too drastically.
44. What would you do without electricity for 3 days?
Think of the horror: no computer, no phone, no TV! But maybe you’d have a chance to do something you’ve put off for too long: build something, take a hike, or just sit around and enjoy the silence.
45. If you could be a fictional character, who would it be?
You’ll get a nice mix of serious, thoughtful answers and amusing ones with this question. A good chance to pick out the book snobs and comic book readers among your friends.
46. When you were a kid, what did you think being this age would be like?
Discuss all the amusing stereotypes your younger self had while also digging a little deeper into the nature of aging and how life is never quite how you expect it to be.
47. What single thing makes you most nostalgic?
Take a trip down nostalgia lane, but be sure to slow down and consider not just what makes you nostalgic but why. Even better, take the conversation around a philosophical turn and consider why we are nostalgic in the first place.
48. What would your first decision be if you were elected president?
In this heated political time, everyone has an opinion about how their country should be run. So, what would you do first? Make serious changes to taxes, the military, or immigration? Or would you declare a national ice cream day?
When it comes down to it, it’s not always easy to know how to start a conversation.
However, despite how nerve-wracking it can be, getting a funny conversation going is actually quite simple.
Just follow the five tips below, and you’ll be on your way to having them laughing in the aisles within minutes.
Tip #1: Get a feel for what your conversation partner finds funny
Humor is a very personal thing, and not everyone is going to find the same ideas amusing. Some people like broad jokes that involve noises and falling down, other people like something a little subtler with just a trace of dry humor.
Depending on the type, open your conversation with the kinds of questions that draw in the audience in front of you.
Tip #2: Choose a good location to talk
If you’re in a bar, you can be loud and a little crass; while, in a cafe, you’re quieter and politer. If you want a good, funny conversation, choose a place people can be loud and be themselves.
If they are comfortable, they’re more likely to relax and just have fun.
Tip #3: Pick the best conversation starter
Once you know what the people you are going to talk to find funny and you’ve put them in a comfortable situation, choose the right conversation starter from the list below to really draw them into an interesting and amusing chat.
Choose a topic everyone is likely to have something to say about. If everyone there likes sci-fi, pick one of the questions about aliens or time travel. If they are a little more serious, pick a deep conversation starter from below.
Tip #4: Ask follow ups that keep the fun coming
When you are starting up a funny conversation, there is always the risk of awkward gaps. Often, people aren’t sure how to keep an amusing topic going, and they can feel nervous about volunteering a comment when everyone falls silent.
To avoid that, think up follow up questions to use when the topic starts to lag. Then, when it feels like you’ve squeezed all the fun out of one topic, throw out another funny conversation starter to keep the conversation moving smoothly.
Tip #5: Have fun, be casual, and enjoy serious sidebars
The best way to make sure everyone enjoys your conversation is to have fun yourself. If you are laughing and smiling, your conversation partner/partners will pick up on your good mood and mirror it.
But that doesn’t mean you should avoid taking a serious turn when the conversation demands it. Comedy and drama are closely linked, and sometimes a funny conversation can turn serious, and vice versa.
Allow the conversation to take its natural course. Be casual, and keep those extra conversation starters in your pocket for the moment when you need to spark a little more humor into your chit chat.
Looking for More Funny Questions and Conversation Starters?
With an infinite number of conversations to have, you can never have too many good questions.
Are you looking for more funny conversation starters and more interesting topics to add to your conversation arsenal?
We got you covered:
- If you’re looking to make people make hard—and hilarious choices, check out our Funny Would You Rather Questions.
- Meanwhile, if you are looking for a way to get new acquaintances (or potential romantic partners) to laugh and open up, take a look at our Funny Get to Know You Questions.
- And we also have plenty more Conversation Topics for you to choose.
The key to any conversation is figuring out which questions to ask. If you have the right questions set, the conversation is sure to be a success.
If you want to be serious, find the right serious conversation starters, and you’re sure to have an engaging, sober discussion. But if you want to be funny, having funny questions to ask like those above are sure to make the conversation not just enjoyable for you, but for everyone involved.
And once you’ve got your conversation partners laughing, you can achieve anything in your conversation.
Whether you’re looking for a date, a new contract, or some more depth to your relationship, if you can make your conversation funny, you’re sure to achieve conversation success.