Sam Whittaker | Jun 13, 2022 | 0
70 Funny Conversation Starters - Fun And Happy Ways To Talk
New? Start here.
Funny conversation starters are one of the most powerful tools you can have.
10 Best Funny Conversation Starters
Take a look at these 10 funny conversation starters you can use.
Here are the 10 best conversation starters:
1. What would a world populated by clones of you be like?
This is a great conversation starter to use. Is it the more of you the better or would you get sick of seeing yourself after the third clone? Find out how much your conversation partner loves themselves.
2. What did you think was cool when you were young, but isn’t cool now?
This is an opportunity to indulge in a little nostalgia that's also a little self-deprecating. Think of all the trends that seem ridiculous in retrospect: acid-washed jeans, mullets, flannel shirts. There are lots to work with.
3. If you could have your own reality TV show, what would it be?
Here's a chance to be amusing and creative at the same time. Pick out the most ridiculous points in popular reality shows and construct your own. Then imagine how it would play out.
4. If you were in a witness protection program, what would be your new name and where would you go?
Innocent McNobody or Gerald Fingerpointer: the options are limitless and limitlessly amusing. There's also an opportunity to dream about the perfect place to settle and perfect life if you had to start all over.
5. What’s the best wifi name you’ve ever seen?
A little like the witness protection question above, but now you're basing answers on actual experience. If you're in a crowded area, you could surf around for results right there. What's the weirdest thing you can find?
6. How long would you last in a zombie apocalypse?
Everyone always imagines they're among the survivors in zombie movies, but how long would you actually last? This can open up a lively debate in a group in order to reach a consensus on who would last the longest.
7. What would be your weapon of choice?
If those zombies were coming for you, how would you defend yourself? Sure, most people would go for the easy answers like semi-automatics and grenade launchers, but you know someone would go all out in medieval knight armor and broadsword.
8. Would you like a world with magic in it?
What would the world really be like with magic? Here's your chance to imagine yourself in your favorite fantasy book or show, while also considering the real consequences. It's a great conversation topic for the imaginative.
9. Would you rather never use social media sites/apps again or never watch another movie/TV show?
Just how important is social media to your conversation partners? Their difficulty in making this choice will give you a good idea of the answer. Could they live without twitter, tinder, and so on?
10. If you could have dinner with any, currently alive, person in the world, who would it be?
A bit less intrusive than hacking someone's computer. This is a fun way to ask someone who is the most interesting person alive. This is a good place to use the interesting conversation starters you've learned from this article!
Share This Image On Your Site
8 Witty Start-Up Questions For Couples
Keeping a relationship balanced between fun and serious is a difficult task.
You can make it so much easier when you have a few funny conversation starters for couples at the ready, like the ones below.
Choose the ones that would most interest your partner, and spend an evening laughing, getting closer, and enjoying each other's wit.
Here are 8 funny conversation starters for couples:
11. If you could master any instrument on earth, what would it be?
Discussing music is one of the best ways to get to know someone. An even better way, find out what instrument your partner wishes they played, then suggest you learn how to play it together.
12. What's a movie you can practically quote from start to finish?
This question is the best way to cheat and find the perfect movie for your next date night. Then, have fun quoting the whole thing together. What's your favorite thing to watch? Does your partner love it too?
13. Who would play you in a movie about your life? Who would play me?
Ask this question if you dare, and hope your partner sees you as one of Hollywood's hottest and not one of its amusing trolls! It can be a fun conversation, discussing who would play the important people in your life.
14. If you could go back in time and make little changes to your childhood, what is one thing you'd learn and master over the years so you'd be an expert at it today?
Find out what your partner really, secretly wishes they could do. Do they dream of playing the piano or being a professional athlete? This question could allow you to help them reach some important goals, and also leaves room for some silly responses.
15. Would you rather have an easy job working for someone else or work for yourself but work incredibly hard?
The balance between work and independence is a tricky one, but discussing it now can help you figure out what your partner wants long-term from their career. This one's a good conversation starter that can create some deep conversation.
16. Would you rather live in your dream home in a sub-par location or live in your dream location in a sub-par home?
Choosing a place to live is one of the toughest things a couple has to do. By asking this question, you get an idea of your partner's priorities while also having fun with considering the extremes (like deciding between a mansion in a slum or a tent in Beverly Hills).
17. Would you rather never be stuck in traffic again or never get another cold?
What's more annoying, waiting around or a stuffy nose? Finding this sort of silly stuff out can prepare you for what really bothers your partner and how you can relieve some of the stress.
18. Would you rather have all traffic lights you approach be green or never have to stand in line again?
Waiting is a hassle no matter where you do it, but this is a fun way to discuss what bugs your partner more. Do they hate waiting multiple times for short periods or do they hate waiting once for an extended period?
7 Wacky, but Deep Engaging Questions
Sometimes, you want a little more substance with your humor.
Enjoying a laugh with others is great, but if you're looking to also cover the important topics in life, you need deep conversation starters that can be funny while holding a lot of promise for long, interesting life, love, death, and everything in between.
Here are 7 funny, but deep conversation starters:
19. Would you break the law to save a loved one?
A head-scratcher with an amusing twist: definitely one of the best deep and funny conversation starters. Here, you can discuss not just whether laws or love are more important, but which silly or serious laws are worth breaking.
20. If you didn't have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
Modern life is nonstop, and no one has enough free time. Find out what everyone wishes they had time to do. You might also find out who is dying to fight crime at night.
21. If you became famous, would you enjoy the limelight or miss your privacy?
A fun chance to dream of fame while also considering the costs and benefits of achieving the dream. Do you love the spotlight, or would you rather have your peace?
22. If you could witness any event past, present, or future, what would it be?
Would you rather be with Alexander the Great as he conquers the world or takes down the Berlin Wall? Or, would you rather be with the first people to settle on a new planet? The choice will say a lot about the person you are talking to.
23. Would you rather have a horrible job, but be able to retire comfortably in 10 years or have your dream job, but have to work until you were 60?
Should you love your work, or just get it over with? A great question for after-work drinks. This question asks them about their endgame: is their goal to finish their work, or is it the work itself that they want to do?
24. If you could be a fictional character, who would it be?
You'll get a nice mix of serious, thoughtful answers and amusing ones with this question. A good chance to pick out the book snobs and comic book readers among your friends.
25. What would your first decision be if you were elected president?
In this heated political time, everyone has an opinion about how their country should be run. So, what would you do first? Make serious changes to taxes, the military, or immigration? Or would you declare a national ice cream day?
7 Chucklesome Questions To Start A Conversation With A Girl
There's no better time to be funny than when you are first trying to strike up a conversation.
Getting a laugh from your conversation partner not only makes you feel more confident, it makes the other person want to keep talking.
After all, who doesn't enjoy a good laugh?
What you need to get from wanting to talk to a girl to engage in a long conversation are some funny questions to ask a girl that are sure to get at least a smile, probably a laugh, and definitely a great conversation.
Here are 7 funny conversation starters with a girl:
26. Who do you stalk most often on social media?
Celebrities, former romantic partners, or old friends you haven't talked to in ages: make your confession. Then, whom would you have small talk with?
27. What are some things you shouldn't say at work?
What does she really wish she could say to her boss? Something good enough to get a laugh, most likely. Is there a funny joke she'd like to tell her boss?
28. What's the weirdest gift you ever received?
It's a great chance to tell some funny stories about the odd things people give you. What's the craziest thing you've ever received from someone, and would you give the same thing to someone else?
29. What's the worst thing you can say on a first date?
Like the wedding question above, giggle over saying all the wrong things out loud. What's the funniest thing you can blurt out during your first date?
30. What is the absolute weirdest nickname someone has given you?
We've all had friends try to give nicknames that fell flat. Share yours and have a new secret name for each other. You'll get a laugh every time you say it.
31. Out of all the world's languages, which one sounds funniest to you?
Here's a chance to practice your Swedish Chef impression. Try making an impression of the funniest accents in the world, and speak your best language with them. You'll laugh for a good long while.
32. If Hollywood made a movie about your life what would it be rated and who would be the star?
Find out if she's a hard-R sort of girl or a sweet-G and then laughs about the actors who could play her... and you. It can be a thriller or just a funny story about what you've experienced.
10 Silly Would You Rather Questions
Once you've mastered the ridiculous question, you can get further laughs just by doubling down: make the scenario more ridiculous as you go along.
Don't just make someone choose between two ridiculous options, push them to explain why, then embroider the scenario further until you've got a hysterical conversation on your hands.
Here are 10 funny would you rather conversation starters:
33. Would you rather go about your normal day naked or fall asleep for a year?
It's a choice between the ultimate embarrassment or the loss of precious time. Which can you stand more between the two?
34. Would you rather have a horse’s tail or a unicorn horn?
Get your conversation partner to really picture this one, then try to work through which is easier to pull off and still look good. You can't hide any of these; they have to be visible.
35. Would you rather wear clown makeup or wear a tutu every day for a year?
Another chance to imagine just how silly you could possibly look, and maybe convince someone to try the makeup or tutu on.
36. Would you rather have overly large hands or very small feet?
Just think how hard it would be to pick up things with massive hands, or how hard to walk with those tiny feet.
37. Would you rather always have to sing instead of speaking or dance everywhere you went?
No matter the answer, get the person to demonstrate their choice for a while. Which would get old quickest for them?
38. Would you rather wear a bathing suit or wear formal attire everywhere you go for the next two weeks?
A great question that can lead to discussions of just how out of place the choice would be in some situations.
39. Would you rather always have to enter rooms backward or always have to somersault out?
Find out, then get them to demonstrate their choice. Either way, they'll always have to make a dramatic entrance or exit.
40. Would you rather never eat your favorite food for the rest of your life, or only be able to eat your favorite food?
Silly, but with that little thoughtful edge that might make someone laugh but think twice before answering.
41. Would you rather your parents, or your crush be able to read your thoughts?
You'll get a laugh just seeing the person wrestle with the potential embarrassments.
42. Would you rather swap lives for a day with Madonna or the British Queen?
Both fun and funny, and a chance to imagine how those ladies really live.
6 Humorous Questions To Get To Know Someone
Here's a question for you: what kind of get to know you questions really let you get to know someone?
There are all different types, but the best are almost always funny in some way. Having funny get to know you questions just makes people want to respond more.
They want to laugh and keep laughing, and they'll tell you anything if you promise to give them that.
Use some of the questions below to get them laughing in the aisles, all while revealing a lot about themselves.
Here are 6 funny conversation starters to get to know someone:
43. Would you rather be famous and have a scandal or two, or never be talked about in the media at all?
This is a setup for some great stories about the best and worst celebrity scandals you could have.
44. Would you rather sing karaoke on national TV or be interviewed about everything in your life for the local paper?
Pick your embarrassment: singing on the national stage or everyone you know knowing everything about you. Yikes.
45. Would you rather be left alone with fifteen kids for a day, or have to spend the day mediating between a democrat and a republican?
A tough question in these times, but come on, take the kids. Do you like children more or can you handle differing ideologies?
46. Would you rather have your life be narrated (publicly) by Morgan Freeman or Alec Baldwin?
Another great chance to do impressions, and talk about who has the coolest voice out there.
47. Would you rather spend the rest of your life always cold or always exhausted?
This is a great one to get people to groan over after a long day of work during the winter.
48. Would you rather be super intelligent but a huge asshole, or insanely kind but also incredibly stupid?
Stupid but kind...what's the worst that could happen? Laugh about the potential consequences.
5 Crazy Dares You Can Use To Spark A Conversation
There are many ways to start a conversation, and some are more fun than others. Using these truth or dare questions to open a conversation is a surefire way to make sure that your next social interaction is one to remember.
Humor connects people. These funny dares are perfect for disarming someone so they feel at ease around you. They're also perfect for turning a boring time into an entertaining laugh riot.
Of course, if you're going to give someone a dare, it's only fair that you should expect one in return. Don't be a wet blanket about it! If you're going to challenge someone to a game, you have to be a team player.
Here are 5 funny dares you can use as conversation starters:
49. Make up a song about the host of the party.
You can look to "Master of the House" from Les Miserables for inspiration.
50. Call someone and confess your newfound love for Justin Bieber.
Solidify this one by belting out the chorus to "Never Say Never." Are you brave enough to do this?
51. Tell a bizarre 2-minute story about the night you slept in the woods.
Be sure to really spin the yarn and then wow them with the ending. Don't forget to talk about the monster that showed up.
52. Stand up and professionally introduce yourself to everyone. Now convince them as to why they should vote for you to be the next spokesperson for the elephants.
You may want to prepare a PowerPoint presentation – the elephants are worth the effort.
53. Style your hair with at least ten paper clips. When you are finished, post a selfie to social media.
Duck lips should complete the look nicely. Add a funny filter, put some emoji in the background... there's no reason you shouldn't go all out with this.
6 Laughable Questions To Go Over With Your Crush
We often remember funny or interesting conversations better than run-of-the-mill ones, so use that to your advantage! When you're trying to make an impression or rise to the top of the pack, don't be afraid to go for fun.
Ask these funny conversation starters with your crush to get them to notice you right away.
Here are 6 funny conversation starters with your crush:
54. What sports would be funniest if the athletes had to be drunk while playing?
Bowling, baseball, something else? Be prepared for funny accidents, lots of missed shots, and all the fun things that happen when you're under the influence.
55. What's your favorite number?
Can I get yours?? Ha! Everyone's got to have a favorite number - personally, mine is your cellphone number.
56. What is the trending activity to do today that annoys you?
They can only pick one! The newest fads always have something that you don't particularly like, so this is a question that's timeless.
57. Do you think Jack could have really fit on the headboard at the end of the movie, Titanic?
I mean, it was pretty wide... And if they haven't watched the movie, you can watch it with them and learn their answer then.
58. What are things that you should not say at your own wedding?
Or, at other people's weddings? What sort of funny jokes or buzzwords would you not want to say on their special day?
59. If you had an imaginary friend, what would his/her name be?
Did they have one growing up? You can also ask if they had a doll or stuffed toy they named and were close to growing up.
6 Hilarious Questions To Jumpstart A First Date
On a first date, it's always good to stay a little lighthearted. Save those big conversations for later - now is the time to wow them with your charisma and wit.
These funny first date conversation starters will make them comfortable and have them laughing your whole time together.
Here are 6 funny first date conversation starters:
60. What is a controversial opinion you have?
This is a safe space, right? It can be interesting, learning what sort of opinions they have on a variety of topics.
61. What is the worst first date you have ever been on?
Did they go on a second with that person? And, what was the best first date they've been on?
62. Have you ever drunk texted someone?
Did chaos ensue? It can be a funny experience, waking up the day after with a hangover and wondering what sort of wacky things you did last night.
63. Which would be harder for you to give up: coffee or alcohol?
The real question here is are you a morning person? Coffee is an essential part of many peoples' lives, but few can resist the temptation of hard drinks.
64. What's the stupidest thing you’ve ever done for love?
Did it reap good results? What crazy, crazy things could you do for love... and would you do it again?
65. If Cinderella’s shoe fit well, why did it fall off?
Obviously, you've never run in heels. Running with heels downstairs would make anyone's heels fall off, honestly.
5 Silly Questions To Carry Through Text Message
Want to talk to her but don't know what to say? Try a silly question to break any ice and catch her by surprise.
You don't need any pretense to send these text conversation starters, just type it in and press send. Boom - the conversation has begun!
Here are 5 funny text conversation starters:
66. What is something you are obsessed with?
Is it more or less than other people and their obsessions? Everyone's got that one thing that lives rent-free in their head.
67. Would you cut off your little toe for $1,000,000?
Would they let someone else? Can they live their life with the loss of one digit, and profit from that loss?
68. If reincarnation exists, what would you like to come back as?
What would they NOT like to come back as? There are plenty of possibilities for things you could be if you reincarnated.
69. Is there ever a day that mattresses are not on sale?
Maybe they just don't want to store the signs? Everyone needs a mattress, but they only need one. Maybe they just want to sell all their stock!
70. Why isn't there a mouse-flavored cat food?
Maybe mice taste like chicken? Maybe scientists won't taste mice? The interesting part of this is trying to guess what a mouse tastes like.
How To Start A Conversation Using These Funny Starters
When it comes down to it, it's not always easy to know how to start a conversation.
However, despite how nerve-wracking it can be, getting a funny conversation going is actually quite simple.
Just follow the five tips below, and you'll be on your way to having them laughing in the aisles within minutes.
Here's how to use these funny conversation starters:
1. Get a feel for what your conversation partner finds funny
Humor is a very personal thing, and not everyone is going to find the same ideas amusing. Some people like corny jokes that involve noises and falling down, other people like something a little subtler with just a trace of dry humor.
Depending on the type, open your conversation with the kinds of questions that draw in the audience in front of you.
2. Choose a good location to talk
When you think about how to start a conversation, this point always comes up, and with good reason. Conversation isn't just about the words, your location influences you a great deal.
If you're in a bar, you can be loud and a little crass; while, in a cafe, you're quieter and politer. If you want a good, funny conversation, choose a place people can be loud and be themselves.
If they are comfortable, they're more likely to relax and just have fun.
3. Pick the best conversation starter
Once you know what the people you are going to talk to find funny and you've put them in a comfortable situation, choose the right conversation starter from the list below to really draw them into an interesting and amusing chat.
Choose a topic everyone is likely to have something to say about. If everyone there likes sci-fi, pick one of the questions about aliens or time travel. If they are a little more serious, pick a deep conversation starter from below.
4. Ask to follow-ups that keep the fun coming
When you are starting up a funny conversation, there is always the risk of awkward gaps. Often, people aren't sure how to keep an amusing topic going, and they can feel nervous about volunteering a comment when everyone falls silent.
To avoid that, think up follow-up questions to use when the topic starts to lag. Then, when it feels like you've squeezed all the fun out of one topic, throw out another funny conversation starter to keep the conversation moving smoothly.
5. Have fun, be casual, and enjoy serious sidebars
The best way to make sure everyone enjoys your conversation is to have fun yourself. If you are laughing and smiling, your conversation partner/partners will pick up on your good mood and mirror it.
But that doesn't mean you should avoid taking a serious turn when the conversation demands it. Comedy and drama are closely linked, and sometimes a funny conversation can turn serious, and vice versa.
Allow the conversation to take its natural course. Be casual, and keep those extra conversation starters in your pocket for the moment when you need to spark a little more humor into your chit chat.
Downloadable and Printable List of Funny Conversation Starters
Here is a downloadable and printable jpg/pdf list of funny conversation starters (right click the image and select Save Image As...):
Frequently Asked Questions
After all those laughs learning about the funniest conversation starters we could think of, you're ready to chat up a bunch of people and have a blast getting them to laugh. Still, do you have some more questions about funny ways to begin conversations? I've got some answers for you, so buckle up and get ready to read some more.
How can I not to be boring?
To learn about how not to be boring, you've already gotten a pretty good head start by reading this article about funny conversation starters. The important thing is to never run out of things to say: if you let the conversation ground to a halt, then you'll risk ending the conversation on a boring note. Keep talking. The more interesting things you have to say, the less risk you'll be a boring talker.
Why do I struggle to make conversation?
There are many possible reasons for this; you could be anxious about talking to other people, or you could have very little to talk about. In the former event, practice talking to an imaginary person in front of a mirror. Practice will help you overcome your anxiety. In the latter event, all you have to do is find more things to talk about, which this list hopefully helped!
What can I say in a conversation when it’s getting awkward?
If there's an awkward silence in your conversation, then the best thing to do would be to ask more interesting questions of your partner or answer some of your own questions yourself. Try to ask a question of a topic you haven't broached yet, to avoid creating another moment of silence. If your partner doesn't respond, then it's okay to end the conversation and try again another time.
Should I ignore a girl who plays hard to get?
If you're not interested in that girl, then it's alright to ignore their playing hard-to-get. But if you actually are interested in pursuing them, let them play hard-to-get; it's their way of grabbing more attention from you, and their way of spicing up a potential romance.
Looking for More Funny Questions and Conversation Starters?
Asking a girl funny questions isn't the only reason to have good questions on hand. But, no matter what kind of conversation you're looking to have, we've got some awesome questions to help you get it going and keep it boiling. Try a few of these:
- If you're just looking for good old fun questions to ask, click on this article to get a great list to start with.
- Not interested in being straightforward? Throw a few curveballs with these random questions.
- And we also have plenty more Conversation Topics for you to choose from.
The key to any conversation is figuring out which questions to ask. If you have the right questions set, the conversation is sure to be a success.
If you want to be serious, find the right serious conversation starters, and you're sure to have an engaging, sober discussion. But if you want to be funny, having funny questions to ask like those above are sure to make the conversation not just enjoyable for you, but for everyone involved.
And once you've got your conversation partners laughing, you can achieve anything in your conversation.
Whether you're looking for a date, a new contract, or some more depth to your relationship, if you can make your conversation funny, you're sure to achieve conversation success.