If you're wondering how to start a conversation, worry no more. With my expertise in making conversations up on sites such as Elite Daily and The Odyssey Online, I can get you a list of first date questions to get you ready.
So don't sweat and read on.
8 Best First Date Conversation Starters
Ready for the big guns? Let's jump right in!
1. What's the worst pickup line you've ever heard?
Hopefully, it's not the one they used on you!
2. What sorts of things make you laugh out loud?
It's always nice to find out that you and your (potential) significant other shares a sense of humor - it makes things so much easier.
3. What is something you wish you did more of in your life and something you want to do less of?
Priorities matter - you don't want to end up with someone whose values are very different from yours.
4. Where is the most fun place around where you live?
Who knows, you might go there on your second date!
5. What's your go-to funny story?
They will tell it to you anyway, and it's probably not quite as funny as they think - so you might as well get it over with.
6. Describe your perfect day.
Take note of the answer, and make it happen one day.
7. How do you spend your free time?
That can tell you a lot about a person.
8. Tell me about your work.
Most of us spend two-thirds of our waking hours working, so it's one of the most important aspects of our lives.
Share This Image On Your Site
Share This Image On Your Site
12 Game Changer Topics With Your Crush
It's difficult to find the right words when you like someone. Don't worry. We've got you covered with our list of conversation starters with your crush.
9. What kind of person are you looking for?
Who knows, you might be just their type!
10. What really cheesy song do you love?
Ah, we all have that song we like to sing in the shower or on boozy karaoke nights.
11. What's the best way to get to know who someone is?
Our bet would be to go through hard times together.
12. What small things brighten up your day when they happen?
The secret to happiness is enjoying the little things in life.
13. What do you like to do for fun after a busy workday?
Some people like to go out and have a blast, while others prefer to Netflix and chill.
14. What are your passions?
Someone's passions and interests tell you a lot about where their real values lie.
15. What do you hate most about first dates?
That knot in your stomach? The awkward pauses? The fact that you always seem to get your clothes stained regardless of what you eat? It's hard to pick just one.
16. What is your guilty pleasure?
Late-night ice cream? Cheesy rom coms? Readying celebrity gossip on your lunch break?
17. Do you have any pet peeves?
Take our word for it: if you share the same pet peeves, this might very well be a match made in heaven.
18. How was your day?
Very few people ask that question and actually mean it. Don't be one of them — and not just on first dates.
19. Do you like to travel?
And would they be up for a romantic getaway any time soon?
20. Tell me more about yourself.
You'd be surprised by just how much people are willing to share on a first date.
8 Funny Dialogues For Small Talk
Want to lighten up the mood? Funny conversation starters are the way to go.
21. What machine or appliance in your house aggravates you the most?
What? Toasters can be evil incarnate.
22. What's the strangest phone conversation you've ever had?
The creativity of phone pranksters never ceases to amaze.
23. What's your favorite app on your phone?
And how much time do you waste on it every day?
24. If there were an Olympics for everyday activities, what activity would you have a good chance at winning a medal in?
If they say "Being productive," there's something seriously wrong with them.
25. What do you hate the most about dating?
The expectations? The pressure to show yourself in your best light?
26. If you could choose your age forever, what age would you choose, and why?
Surprisingly, not everyone wants to be forever young.
27. What was your worst fashion disaster?
Those jeans probably seemed like a good idea at the time.
28. If you could be any Disney villain, who would you be?
Maleficent seems pretty cool.
10 Small Talk Topics To Build A Deeper Relationship
Make your conversation with her exciting with these fun questions to ask.
29. What are your favorite alcoholic and non-alcoholic drink?
Yes, coffee counts.
30. What odd talent do you have?
If they can wiggle their ears, they are a keeper.
31. Would you like to start a hobby?
And what would it be?
32. What is your most desired travel destination?
Who knows, you could end up going there together one day.
33. If you had the ability to read minds, would you?
That should be quite sobering.
34. If you could hop on a plane right now, where would you go?
Ah, where do we even start?
35. If every job paid the same, what job would you do?
The options are literally unlimited.
36. If you had a theme song, what would it be?
Life would be so much better with a soundtrack.
37. What would you do if you won the lottery?
Travel the world? Buy a sports car? Build the house of your dreams?
38. If you could trade lives with one person for an entire day who would it be, and why?
The Queen of England? Beyonce?
8 First Date Would You Rather Questions To Ask A Girl
Would you rather questions make some of the best ice breakers on your date! This is a fun way to get to know them better too.
39. Would you rather find your true love or a suitcase with five million dollars inside?
Love is the most important thing in life, but five million sure sounds tempting.
40. Would you rather live on the beach or in a cabin in the woods?
And what would your days look like?
41. Would you rather never be stuck in traffic again or never get another cold?
Health is more important, but traffic jams are extremely annoying.
42. Would you rather be beautiful/handsome but stupid or intelligent but ugly?
Is that even a question?
43. Would you rather be able to teleport anywhere or be able to read minds?
We'd go with teleporting — people's minds are full of nasty thoughts.
44. Would you rather have unlimited international first-class tickets or never have to pay for food at restaurants?
Well, you can only have so many trips abroad in a given year, but you can easily eat three or more times in a restaurant every single day.
45. Would you rather go back to age 5 with everything you know now or know now everything your future self will learn?
Who in their right mind would choose to go through puberty again?
46. Would you rather be able to see 10 minutes into your own future or 10 minutes into the future of anyone but yourself?
Both sound like pretty a bad idea.
10 Interesting Starters To Keep A Girl Interested
Want to start the conversation with your date on the right foot? These interesting conversation starters should get the job done.
47. If you could have lunch with any celebrity in history who would it be?
Now that is what we call an interesting date!
48. Who is your favorite YouTuber?
You might end up subscribing to their channel yourself.
49. What's the best meal you've ever had?
If things go well between you two, you could try cooking it for them one day.
50. Who is the most bizarre person you've met?
There are some truly weird people out there.
51. What would you do with the extra time if you never had to sleep?
We'd probably waste it on social media and funny cat videos.
52. What's the strangest way you've become friends with someone?
That should be an interesting story!
53. What are some movies you really enjoyed?
You could end up with some awesome movie recommendations!
54. If you could give me a tour of your hometown, where's the first place you would take me?
That should make for a truly special date.
55. What business would you open if you knew you wouldn't fail?
A fancy chocolate shop? An antique bookstore? A scuba diving school?
56. Do you have a favorite film or film genre?
If you have the same taste in movies, you two might be a really great match.
9 Random Things To Talk About To Break The Awkward Silence
There's nothing like random conversation starters to make people feel more at ease.
57. What is the best room in your house?
It's usually the one with the most natural light.
58. What animal or insect do you wish humans could eradicate?
Has got to be cockroaches.
59. What do you think of tattoos?
Remember, tattoos are not a personality trait.
60. What was the last funny video you saw?
And how about we watch it together?
61. What do your Saturdays usually look like?
We bet they'd look a lot better with you around.
62. Did any of your former classmates end up becoming famous?
And are you jealous? Not even a little bit?
63. How well do you cope when you don't have your phone with you for an extended period of time?
We know we don't take it too well.
64. What's your favorite season?
All seasons are special in their own way, but it's always nice when you and your partner share a favorite.
65. What kind of phone was your first cell phone?
This one is bound to make you both feel ancient!
10 Deep Discussions To Bring You Closer Together
Ready for the heavy artillery? Then make sure to give some of our deep conversation starters a try.
66. What's been the most significant or best year of your life so far?
That should send them on a trip down memory lane.
67. What is the most beautiful view you've seen?
And what made it so special?
68. What do you do to unwind?
Do you like to go there alone or with company?
69. What is the weirdest scar you have, and how did you get it?
We've all been a little too wild for our own good at times.
70. What makes you feel sentimental?
Who doesn't get teary-eyed every now and then?
71. What are 5 things you want to accomplish before you die?
Don't put them off for too long!
72. Are you good at keeping secrets?
The thing is, everyone says they are — and then they go on and spill the tea.
73. Do you have any regrets in life?
It's okay to have some, but don't dwell on them too much. We can't change the past.
74. Where do you see yourself in 10–15 years?
And are you now where you thought you'd be ten years ago?
75. Do you consider yourself an introvert?
In any case, you are great as you are: introverts and extroverts both have their superpowers.
Downloadable and Printable List of First Date Conversation Starters
Here is a downloadable and printable jpg/pdf list of first date conversation starters (right-click and select Save Image As...):
How to Pick the Best First Date Conversation Starters
There are no two ways about it: first dates are hard. It can be difficult to start a conversation with someone you like - especially if you don't know them very well (or at all!).
Need some help?
1. Use Something the Other Person Has Said as a Starting Point
The best way to develop great date conversation topics is to use something your date has just said as an inspiration. Did they share something about their personal life? Their hobbies and interests? Their job? Maybe she mentioned a mutual friend?
Whatever it is, simply ask them a follow-up question and take it from there. Most people love talking about themselves!
2. Don't Worry About Being Too Original
First dates are hard enough as it is. There's absolutely no need to put extra pressure on yourself to come up with wildly original or intellectual conversation topics. It's perfectly fine to keep things fun, simple, and lighthearted.
Plus, your date is probably just as nervous as you are! The chances are that they will be too worried about making a great first impression to pay attention to how original your conversation starters are.
3. Just Go with the Flow
All great conversations have a certain natural rhythm to them. For best results, don't try to force things too much and simply go with the flow. Listen to what your partner is saying and respond as genuinely as possible for that smooth conversation flow. Authenticity makes for the best conversations.
Frequently Asked Questions
First dates can be tough, and a lot of questions can start to overwhelm you. If you're still having trouble answering them, read on the most common questions asked about topics to talk about on the first date.
Why are first-date conversation starters important?
You might not think about them much before heading out on your first date, but these conversation starters may be the thing that can save you from that dreaded silence before your appetizer is even served. The purpose of these first date questions is to ease into a natural conversation and not interrogate her.
Do conversation starters really work?
Conversation starters are much like conversation topics, but since they are open-ended questions, you don't have to deal with dead air after your date answers them. So, yeah, they work.
What should I do if she doesn't respond well to my conversation starter?
This is the part where it gets awkward. There are a couple of reasons she doesn't respond to your questions. She might be uneasy about it or uncomfortable answering it. Try identifying the source so you don't repeat it. Then maybe jump to another topic to make things less gnarly.
Can I use these conversation starters to talk to a girl online?
If you're bothered about how to start a conversation with a girl online, then these conversation starters are the answer. If it's your first time texting or chatting with a girl online, you can use these.
More Awesome Tips to Start a Conversation with Anyone
Would you like some more tips on how to start a conversation with anyone? We have plenty!
- Check out our extra-long list of personal questions to ask anyone.
- Then, take a look at our favorite questions to ask a girl over text.
- Finally, read our selection of the best would you rather questions clean.
Did you enjoy our selection of first date conversation starters? We hope that you will put them to good use — and that they will lead to a second (and a third!) date!