You've got her number, you want to have a chat, but you just don't have the right text conversation starters. Or, you didn't, until now.
One of the main tricks to how to get a girlfriend is simply figuring out how to text a girl in a way that makes her want to text back.
There's a lot of advantages to texting over flirting in person. You don't have to worry about looking nervous, you have time to think up the right comment, and you can get a lot more personal without feeling embarrassed.
For all that, you have to know how to start a text conversation with a girl and what to text a girl after you've got the conversation going to get all these advantages.
So, start where you need to start: use these conversation starters to make her eager to chat all day and all night, and maybe meet up in person for that big first date.
25 Best Text Conversation Starters
Below you'll find some of our best conversation starters. If you're going for a real banger upfront to get things started, this is where you'll find it.
1. What is something that is popular now that annoys you?
Sometimes those wacky, passing fads aren't for everyone.
2. What was the last time you worked incredibly hard?
Push yourself daily if you want to always have an answer for this.
3. What were you really into when you were a kid?
I liked gems and minerals. I also collected keychains for some reason... Kids are weird.
4. What is a controversial opinion you have?
This can spark an extremely interesting conversation so long as you have an open mind.
5. What is the most annoying habit someone can have?
Bonding over dislikes is a surprisingly powerful way to get to know someone. However, if she never talks about anything positive... That's a red flag.
6. What do you bring with you everywhere you go?
Girls get purses so I've started carrying my new backpack with me everywhere. It's ridiculously convenient and I highly recommend it.
7. Where is the worst place you have been stuck for a long time?
Airports, the side of the road, and inside an elevator with a bunch of wet dogs are all perfect examples.
8. What is something that really annoys you but doesn’t bother most people?
We all have pet peeves.
9. What is your guilty pleasure?
What do you like that most people love to hate?
10. What trends did you follow when you were younger?
We were all a little confused in middle school.
11. What is the silliest fear you have?
Maybe you can help her overcome it!
12. What smell brings back great memories?
Smell and memory are two very powerful combinations. It's been 10 years and Love Spell from Victoria's Secret still takes me back to my first love in high school.
13. What are you best at?
Everyone has that one thing they're awesome at.
14. What’s the best show currently on TV?
Impractical Jokers? Game of Thrones? Pawn Stars? Everybody has a favorite.
15. What cartoons did you watch as a child?
Childhood memories are fun to talk about because they bring you back to a time when life was much simpler.
16. What do you do to get rid of stress?
How she deals with stress will tell you about how she'll deal with you when you stress her out.
17. What is something you are obsessed with?
Hopefully not you.
18. Where is the most beautiful place you have been?
19. What weird talent do you have?
Everyone is a little weird. That weirdness is what makes us different!
20. What’s your favorite genre of movie?
21. What is the most useful app on your phone?
Furthermore, how many apps do you have on your phone that you haven't opened in the past 6 months?
22. What is the worst restaurant you have ever eaten at?
Hopefully not the one you wanted to take her to.
23. Would you eat at a restaurant that was really dirty if the food was amazing?
Dirty restaurants have the best food... But your stomach will probably hate you for it.
24. Do you prefer traveling alone or with a group?
Try solo traveling sometime. It's hard to travel with people afterwards.
25. Do you prefer to go off the beaten path when you travel?
Or does she prefer sticking to an itinerary?
6 Good Morning Text Conversation Starters For Her
Nothing keeps you in a girl's mind like starting a great conversation with a good morning text for her. Try a few of these to start a tradition that makes you her favorite part of getting up.
26. You just popped into my head and I thought I’d say Hi
This is so casual and cute. I use it all the time.
27. Hey, good morning! I just looked out the window and saw what a beautiful day it was – it made me think of you.
Sweet, a bit flirty, and a great message to wake up to.
28. Rise and shine sunshine! Ready to make the world a better place? You have a way of doing that
Empower her and let her know how you feel all at once.
29. The whole world is ours, so let’s rock it. Good morning!
Tell her you're a team and you can accomplish anything...together!
30. Good morning, do you have time to meet me for coffee?
Perhaps the simplest way to get a date right at the start of the day.
31. Good morning, how’s my favorite lady?
Cute, a little romantic, but not too committed.
6 Good Night Text Conversation Starters for Her
If you and the girl you're texting are more night owls than early risers, try some text conversation starters designed to be a good night text for her to send her sweet dreams of texting with you.
32. Always end the day with a positive thought and grateful heart. Good Night!
Good advice, and a great way to inspire her.
33. I know that you are busy, but I wanted to tell you to have a good night.
A subtle way to make her think of you without being a bother.
34. I just wanted to wish you a restful night’s sleep after your long day at work. How was work, by the way?
Give her the opening to unburden herself to you.
35. A good night has maybe a movie, some pizza and a couple beers; but do you know what will make it a great night?
Lead her into asking, and then invite her over for that great night.
36. Call me if you can't sleep and we can talk all night if you want
An invitation you'll be happy for her to take up.
37. Do you know my favorite reason to lose sleep?
An interesting topic she may spend the whole night chatting about.
7 Flirty Text Conversation Starters for Her
Texts are great partly because it's so much easier to flirt for some guys. All you need are the right flirty texts for her, and you don't have to stress about how to flirt with a girl over text or in person.
All it takes is a few flirty conversation starters. It's just that easy.
38. I can’t even remember the last time we spoke. We need to change that.
A little coy if you were chatting recently, or a great invitation if it really has been ages.
39. I was going to wait another day or two to text you, but I can’t wait that long to talk to you.
It's honest, makes her feel special, and starts a great conversation.
40. Stop sending me mixed signals and start sending me memes.
She'll chuckle and know you like her, and you'll get some new memes. A win-win.
41. My dog wanted you to know that he misses you.
A cute way to get her attention. Send pictures of the dog.
42. I suck at starting conversations. You want to try?
Put the conversation pressure on her, and get a smile while you do it.
43. You look so good right now. I can’t actually see you, but I assume you look good, because you always do
Sweet, silly, and a great compliment. An unbeatable flirty option for your conversation starters.
44. They say that a picture is worth a thousand words. They were wrong. Whenever I see your pictures, I just think “Wow”
At least chuckle worthy, and sure to make her feel special.
8 Love Text Conversation Starter Messages for Her
When you're getting serious with a girl, flirting isn't enough when it comes to conversation starters. You need something stronger. That's where love messages for her come in. Send these to show just how important she is to you.
48. You're Attractive, Gorgeous, Sexy, Intelligent, Smart, Charming, Sophisticated, Fit, Kind, and Generous. In fact, you're becoming more like me everyday!
Flirty, silly, and full of compliments for her.
49. Your smile is literally the cutest thing I’ve ever seen in my life.
Put that perfect smile on her face with this one.
50. My six word love story: “I can’t imagine life without you.”
Nothing says love like this text.
51. You’re my paradise and I’d happily get stranded on you for a lifetime.
Poetry and romance in a single text.
52. The only time I stupidly smile at my phone is when I get text messages from you.
This one has the benefit of likely being honest.
53. I love all those things you don’t do: you never tried to change me, you never minded my quirky moods, you never laughed when I attempted to be serious, and you never turned away when I needed you most.
A twist on a text classic: tell her all the ways she has proven she's the best girl out there.
54. You are my happy ending.
She's like a fairy tale princess, after all.
55. For once I don’t have to try to be happy because when I’m with you it just happens.
Make her happy by telling her how happy she makes you.
6 Text Conversation Starters to Ask a Girl Out Over Text
To take your text relationship to the next level, you'll need conversation starters that show you how to ask a girl out over text.
Use these to open the door to that relationship you've both been circling around.
56. What’s your favorite restaurant or fast food place?
Get the answer and ask her to meet there.
57. Hey, I know these great places where they have (something you know she likes) Let’s go tomorrow!
The perfect transition to a date. Ask her to meet somewhere you know she can't resist.
58. You are bored? Well, if you play your cards right, I could take you to a great place to have (something she likes) this afternoon.
Flirty and silly, but with a great opportunity to meet up for something she likes to do.
59. Hands tired . . . fingers aching . . . all this texting is giving me RSI. Let’s carry this conversation on in person—after work good for you?
Get a giggle and a date from her in one text.
60. You’re ridiculously busy. I’m ridiculously busy. Let’s multi- task and do a study date. Just promise not to distract me
Start with books and move on to more fun activities.
61. You’ve never had Indian food? Well then, we have to get you some.
Start a potential relationship showing her you'll open up new worlds for her.
7 Text Conversation Starters After She Didn't Text Back
The scariest idea when sending conversation starter is the panic you know you'll feel if she didn't text back.
There's no need to panic, though, just throw out one of these texts to restart the conversation.
62. Wow! You’re playing hard to get already? Aren’t we moving a little too fast lady? We haven’t even dated yet!
Acknowledge the missed text in a fun way.
63. I have to tell you a little secret: even my grandmother types a text message faster than YOU do.
Another one to make her smile at her failure to respond.
64. You seem to be busy right now, so I’ll leave you alone so you can do your thing!
A sweeter way to remind her you're still waiting for a response.
65. Have you googled me yet?
She may just do it now.
66. Hey, I passed by that pizza place you were telling me about and thought of you. How are you? Up for a slice of pepperoni soon?
Turn the radio silence around and turn it into a date.
67. Oh so you fainted from excitement of getting a text from me? Totally understandable. Text me when you wake up.
A great way to move on from a good night text that she didn't respond to.
68. I bet you’re having an awesome day.My day can beat up your day.
Now she's curious.
12 Funny Text Conversation Starters
It's almost always great to start a conversation with a laugh! Whether it's over text or in person, a sense of humor can really help let your guard down.
Next time you want to text her, break out one of these funny conversation starters! Expect a text back right away - these are too interesting to resist.
69. There's a spider in my apartment. Will you come over and get rid of it, or do you also have an irrational fear of bugs?
Sometimes it's easier to be brave in front of others.
70. What’s your go-to video or gif for a laugh?
I love those bad lip reading videos.
71. What song has the best intro?
Are they good at knowing music from the first chords?
72. How many questions can you answer in just pictures?
Time to put those emojis to good use!
73. What app on your phone do you think I should get?
Which is the best time waster?
74. What's the best photo you've taken? Can I see it?
Maybe one of them and one of something else.
75. Did accidentally sent a text to your parents that is something private?
76. In your opinion, what’s the world’s most incredible job?
Would they do it without pay?
77. If you had the ability to break a world record what would it be?
Do they really want to be in that record book?
78. What's the most bizarre thing you have ever eaten?
Would they eat it again?
79. Do you have a signature dance move that was posted on Tiktok?
Is it the floss, or something else?
80. If you were in a circus, what would your job be?
The Greatest Showman gave us all the ideas.
13 Deep Text Conversation Starters
Bored at night and want more than just a recall of the day? These deep conversation starters will get a meaningful talk started that may very well last until the wee hours.
Remember, if you're going to ask, you have to answer! Make sure you are ready to put the work in when you ask a deep question.
81. Do you keep in touch with your childhood friends?
Which ones made it this long?
82. What is your favorite item of clothing and why is it your favorite?
Do they have more than one of them?
83. What is the most adventurous thing you have ever done?
Did they need someone to help them get it done?
84. Have you ever had the opportunity to help someone?
Do they remember the details?
What would they want to replicate for their kids?
Has it changed as they've gotten older?
Or maybe they prefer private islands.
85. What do you think determines happiness?
Can they be happy no matter the circumstances?
86. Do you fear change?
How do they manage anxiety around it?
87. Is there a relationship that you look up to?
What do they love about it?
88. Do you believe in other dimensions or parallel universes?
What is happening in the other timelines?
89. Do you believe in Déjà vu or synchronicity? Have you ever experienced it?
Is it real, or just our brain malfunctioning?
90. Do you think we create our own destiny?
Can we remake our paths to suit us?
12 Text Conversation Starters with Your Crush
If you're looking for a smooth way to get an exchange going, try out some conversation starters with your crush that are sure to get them interested.
More than just, "how you doin'?", these questions will have them wanting to tell you been more about themselves, and finding out about you as well.
91. What do you have planned this weekend?
Can you talk along?
92. What are you currently binge-watching?
What do they love about it?
93. I'm trying to pick a movie to watch and I'm curious: Is Parasite as good as everyone says?
Maybe yall can watch it together?
94. Do you prefer coffee or tea, and why?
Can they take you to their favorite shop?
95. Will you send me the best meme you've seen today? I need a good laugh.
Laughter is the best medicine.
96. What's an emoji that sums up your day so far?
This seems like a great daily question!
97. What do you never leave your house without?
Is it chapstick? We all need chapstick.
98. What are some favorites on your playlist right now?
How often do they mix it up?
99. What is your favorite fast food?
Let's go grab some!
100. What talent do you have that people think is awesome?
Can you get an in person example?
101. What would make you stay up late at night?
Would you be bitter about it the next day?
102. Are you someone who likes to text people or call people?
Or are they more of an emailer?
Downloadable and Printable List of Text Conversation Starters
Here is a downloadable and printable list in jpg/pdf of text conversation starters (right-click the image and select Save Image As...):
How to Use Text Conversation Starters
Now you have your conversation starters all lined up, it's time to actually do some texting. Just follow these 5 steps to ensure a successful conversation.
1. Get Her Number
You have to start with the obvious. You need her number. If she's handing that out to you, you already know she wants to hear from you, which means you're on the right track.
2.: Use What You Know About Her and Trust Your Instincts
Choosing the right text conversation starter all comes down to building on what you know and trusting yourself. If she's sporty, choose something in that category. If not, avoid it.
Work with what she has told you about herself and then make a call. You'll find you're usually right.
3. Choose the Right Time
Texting her right before a big test is a great way to waste the perfect text. Choose a time when she's likely to be available and eager for some text-based distraction.
4. Text Away
To get the conversation going, you've got to press "Send." Don't put it off. You've done the hard work choosing the conversation starter. Now use it.
5. Keep Extra Conversation Starters Close at Hand
You may or may not need more conversation starters, but it's always good to have them ready. If she doesn't respond right away or if the conversation lags, pick out another one and try your luck again.
How To Start A Text Conversation Again After She Didn't Text Back
What do you do if you sent out a great conversation starter over text and she didn't text back?
First things first, don't panic. There may be all kinds of reasons she didn't respond, and most have nothing to do with you.
Give her a little time to respond if she's going to. If not, head back to the drawing board, think about what she might not have liked in your last message, and send her a text that moves in a different direction.
More Ways On How To Talk To Girls
There's plenty more to learn about how to communicate with girls beyond sending some text conversation starters. Become a conversation expert with these topics:
- Use compliments for girls to make her feel special when she talks to you.
- Find some things to talk about with a girl to keep the conversation fresh in person and in text.
- Make the feelings reciprocal with your excellent conversation by working on things to say to a girl you like to keep her interested.
- Avoid messing up a potentially good thing by learning how to tell if a girl likes you over text.
To harness the power of the text for your potential relationships, you first need to figure out how to text a girl by working with top-notch conversation starters.
With the conversation starters listed above, you'll always know what to text a girl and how to start a text conversation with a girl.
Once you're texting away, the path to how to get a girlfriend will start to open up. So start texting, and get that little closer to your goal.