Questions to ask a new friend don't always come easy. You have got to take into consideration a lot of things in order to decide which questions to ask will be okay, and which are not. This is because you still don't know a lot about these people and you certainly don't want to ruin a budding relationship just yet.
Nevertheless, finding the right questions to ask friends would be a breeze with this list.
Best Questions to Ask a New Friend
1. What song always puts you in a good mood?
Whether you know the song they mention or not, music is always a good conversation starter.
2. Has anyone ever saved your life?
Life and death situations are always exciting topics, so this one will surely bring about an interesting exchange of thoughts.
3. How often do you stay up past 3 a.m.?
Sleeping habits also make great conversation topics, so this one is a good choice.
4. What is the most annoying habit someone can have?
Just as knowing what they like is one of the best options, knowing what they hate is also a nice way to deepen your relationship.
5. How do you feel if you accidentally leave your phone at home?
Forgetting phones at home seems like a nightmare nowadays, so this makes an interesting question.
6. I love that shirt/jacket/dress/shoes. Where did you get it?
This is one way to show someone that you like their style without directly saying it,
7. What quality do you value most in your friends?
Asking this would actually let you into the world of his existing friends, and will make navigating your new friendship a bit easier.
8. Time freezes for everyone but you for one day. What do you do?
The ability to freeze time is one of the most desirable superpowers there is, so the answer to this question is going to be a good indicator of personality.
9. What do you think the next big technological advance will be?
Knowing how inclined your new friend is to technology will make topics easier to come by.
10. What scares you the most about the future?
The future is uncertain and so it is but normal to be scary.
11. What do you think is the best show on Netflix right now?
Couch potato or not, one sure has a favorite Netflix show.
12. Who’s had the biggest influence on you?
This question might be cliche but this is a safe question to ask both your best friend and your new friend.
13. If you had intro music, what song would it be? Why?
Will it be mellow? Or will it be punk rock?
14. What’s one thing you know for sure?
In this world of uncertainty, knowing one thing for sure is bliss.
15. What memorable lesson did you learn from your parents?
Our parents are important persons in our lives and for sure, we all have memorable lessons learned from them.
16. What does it mean when two people have chemistry?
Oooooh. Chemistry have different meanings to different people so it is a good thing to hear another person's take on this too.
17. What is the most comfortable piece of clothing you own?
It might be rugged, but if it's comfortable, that's out of the question.
18. What is something that really annoys you but doesn’t bother most people?
Every one of us is unique and so what annoys you might not bother other people.
19. What do you think of tattoos? Do you have any?
Tattoos are forms of self-expression for some, while for some, they are a desecration to the human body.
20. How did you become close with your best friend?
You can get some moves here to get closer to your new friend.
21. How can you tell when someone is lying?
Lie detection is a skill, so it would be nice if your new friend is able to tell if someone's being untruthful.
22. How do you burn off (or handle) stress?
We all have different ways to cope with stress, it would be interesting to have a look at another person's way to put off steam.
23. What’s your first memory?
Did you know that studies show that fetuses have memories too?
24. What is your guiltiest pleasure?
There are just some pleasures that we really feel guilty about.
25. What’s your worst breakup story?
Not everyone is comfortable about this so you should think twice about this.
26. How are you today?
Nothing beats the classic.
27. What is your favorite holiday?
Holidays are usually good times, so this will bring about unforgettable stories.
28. What is the best way to meet new friends?
Take a look inside their friend rule-book.
29. Have you been to an event like this before?
This works best when you've met at a party hosted by a common friend.
30. What do you normally do for fun?
Their idea for fun might just be the same as yours.
31. What did you notice first about me?
You can use this to flirt as well.
32. Do you speak any other languages?
Being multilingual is a cool thing, ask this and you might just bring home some new words with you by the end of the night.
33. Where did your name come from?
Really, what's in a name?
34. Do you play video games?
Video games are fun for both the old and young, so this is a perfect conversation starter.
35. Which blogs do you read?
Blogs might be taken over by vlogs, but there are still some avid readers who swear by blogs. Your new friend might be one of them.
36. What color would you choose to describe yourself?
Colors are a language in themselves, so this one will prompt a deeper understanding of your new friend.
37. What three words best describe you?
This will let you know your new friend's self-perception, which says a lot about a person.
38. What do you bring with you everywhere you go?
This can tell you the most important thing in this world for your new friend.
39. What is the most disgusting habit some people have?
Some people are just plain insensitive, so it is but normal to have
40. What is the worst piece of advice you’ve ever gotten?
Admit it, not every advice we get is good.
41. Which do you prefer? Books or movies?
There are always 2 kinds of people.
42. Do you prefer physical books or eBooks?
While they're both books, they are different on so many levels.
43. What do you get every time you go grocery shopping?
We all have that staple.
44. What do you think of homemade gifts?
Do you like them, or do you make them?
45. What’s the best compliment you’ve ever gotten?
Now, this is the chance for a humblebrag.
46. What did you want to do for a living when you were a kid?
47. What would be your perfect weekend?
Would it be indoors or outdoors?
48. What’s your favorite way to waste time?
If it's your favorite, then it isn't really a waste of time, right?
49. What smell brings back great memories?
50. What cartoons did you watch as a child?
Oh, life as a child. What a breeze!
51. What do you wish your phone could do?
Does it forget to wake you up?
52. If you didn’t care at all what people thought of you, what clothes would you wear?
Oh, this is a great one. We won't judge. Promise.
53. What food looks disgusting but tastes delicious?
Appearances can really be deceiving.
54. What superpower do you wish you could have?
Clairvoyance is a desirable skill, you know.
55. When was the last time you had a food fight?
Did you really "fight"?
56. Do you believe in aliens?
..and other life forms that might exist out of Earth as we know it?
57. What’s the weirdest thing in your fridge right now?
Is there a container of leftover that's over a year old?
58. What's the best event freebie you've ever gotten?
The best things are free, you know?
59. What are some fun things you could do in zero-g?
It's totally understandable if you'll try to sleep.
60. Have you ever received a strange gift? What was it?
Interesting and strange are one and the same, right?
61. Do you have a secret talent?
Guess it won't be so secret anymore after this, huh?
62. Would you rather lose the ability to read or lose the ability to speak?
Tough choice, huh?
63. Would you rather be covered in fur or covered in scales?
Guess this depends on where you'd like to live.
64. Would you rather always be 10 minutes late or always be 20 minutes early?
The early bird catches the worm, but do you really want the worm?
65. Would you rather have one real get out of jail free card or a key that opens any door?
Yes, the key can open the door to your crush's heart too.
66. Would you rather have all traffic lights you approach be green or never have to stand in line again?
Express lane, anyone?
67. Would you rather be able to see 10 minutes into your own future or 10 minutes into the future of anyone but yourself?
To see or not to see?
68. Would you rather only be able to whisper or only be able to shout?
Silent or loud?
69. Would you rather have your dream job or find your true love?
Career or love life?
70. Would you rather be able to freeze time or travel in time?
Frozen or Back to the Future?
71. Would you rather lose all of your teeth or all of your hair?
Arrgh. Both cringe-y.
72. Would you rather have the ability to read people’s minds or make two people fall in love?
Anybody wanna play cupid?
73. Would you rather have the same phone forever or the same haircut forever?
Tech or fashion?
74. Would you rather be able to breathe underwater or fly?
Are you more of a fish or a bird?
75. If you had to switch outfits with one person here, who would it be?
Your choice would reveal who you think is the most trendy in your group.
76. What movies have you watched more than once?
Bring out the classics.
77. Describe what your crush looks like.
Is he or she here?
78. Have you ever walked in on your parents doing it?
Uh-oh. That seems awkward.
79. Do you pick your nose?
Who doesn't, right?
80. What is the most illegal thing you have ever done?
81. Do you dance when you’re by yourself?
Or do you sing? Or both?
82. Which is more important, having a great car or a great house? Why?
Well, of course, if your car is your house. then you've got no choice to make.
83. Do you like documentaries? Why / why not?
Perhaps, drama is your thing?
84. What is the most disgusting thing you have heard happened at a restaurant?
This kind of anecdote is perfect when you're eating... or not.
85. Where do you want to be in five years?
What better way to get to know your new friend than to ask this classic interview question?
86. What’s the weirdest thought you’ve ever had?
It's okay, we asked for weird.
87. When is the last time you can remember feeling totally at peace?
Aaah. Blissful times.
88. Never have I ever ghosted someone's texts.
That must've hurt.
89. Never have I ever texted an ex out of nowhere.
Even when you're drunk?
90. Never have I ever stalked an ex's new partner on social media.
We won't tell.
91. Never have I ever lied in this game.
92. Never have I ever bungee jumped.
A bit extreme here.
93. Never have I ever gone scuba diving.
Are you more into mountain climbing?
94. What food do you know you shouldn’t eat but can’t stop yourself?
Is it sweet, or salty?
95. What app do you use every day?
How techy are you?
96. What gives you goosebumps?
Spiders, ghosts, clowns?
97. What message would you put on a billboard that thousands of people would see every day?
Is it something funny, motivational, or plain?
98. You find a remote that can rewind, fast forward, stop, and start time. What do you do with it?
You can totally sell it if you want.
99. How can governments make education more efficient?
Now on a more serious note...
100. Do you know so-and-so?
Common friends or even celebrities and other famous people can be the subject of your conversation, but be careful not to gossip.
101. What’s your favorite comfort food?
You can never go wrong with food.
102. How would you spend 100 million dollars?
The million-dollar question is sure to make your conversation interesting.
103. What is your most-used emoji?
Emojis are a fun way to make a conversation come to life, in text, and even in IRL.
104. If aliens landed on earth tomorrow and offered to take you home with them, would you go?
If they have the internet, would you be more inclined?
105. What would be the most surprising scientific discovery imaginable?
The cure to cancer, the vaccine for COVID, making the idea alive again, the list goes on...
106. Coffee or tea?
Pick your poison.
107. What was your favorite game to play as a child?
Childhood is one of the most memorable parts of our lives, and what we used to play might reveal something deeper about us.
108. What’s your go-to dish to bring to a dinner party?
Food is always, always a treat to be a topic.
109. What was the first big purchase you made as an adult?
Bring out the big guns.
110. What is the best meal you’ve ever had, and what’s the best meal you’ve ever cooked for yourself?
If it's fried egg, we'll totally understand.
111. How did you know when you fell in love?
The topic of love is bound to surface when talking about interesting things.
112. Do you usually learn from your failures or do you keep repeating them?
Honesty is the best policy, right?
113. Where would you go on vacation if you had no budget?
Choosing to go to your bedroom is totally understandable.
114. Is it really only the thought that counts?
Or is it something they just say because there's nothing else better to say?
115. What is the meaning of life?
Life might mean something completely bizarre to someone, so be careful not to judge.
116. Have your parents influenced what goals you have?
We have different approaches to goal-setting, so be open to what your new friend might respond with to this question.
117. Who was your childhood hero?
We all have that one childhood hero we can never ever replace, right?
118. What stresses you out?
When talking with new friends, getting to know their stressors is a good way to start.
119. How much do you plan for the future?
As they say: If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail.
120. If your life was a meal, what would kind of meal would it be?
You'll surely be hungry after this question, so this works best if you're in a restaurant.
121. What personality traits make a good leader?
As they say... leaders are made, not born.
Ultimate List of Questions to Ask Your New Buddy
Never Have I Ever Questions to Ask a New Friend
Another classic, the Never Have I Ever game, is also a nice way to initiate a conversation with someone you just met. This is because these Never Have I Ever questions to ask a new friend have the possibility to unveil a different side of your new friend that will make you grow closer to one another.
- Never have I ever fallen asleep in public.
- Never have I ever lied on my resume.
- Never have I ever sang in public.
- Never have I ever texted or taken a call at the movies.
- Never have I ever lied about my age.
- Never have I ever been sick on public transport.
- Never have I ever had a holiday romance.
- Never have I ever edited my selfies.
- Never have I ever Googled my own name.
- Never have I ever re-gifted a present I didn’t want.
Weird Questions to Ask a New Friend
If you are not afraid to get some weird responses from someone you don't really know that much yet, then these weird questions to ask a new friend are for you. These questions have the uncanny ability to initiate some pretty uncomfortable conversations, so if you aren't bothered by those, then go ahead and pick one of these questions.
- Which one would you prefer: have no nose but have really good smelling fingers or be blind but have a really nice smile?
- What conspiracy theories do you believe in?
- Would you rather own a dragon or be a dragon?
- Think of someone who you suspect or you know doesn't like you. What do you think they think about you?
- Would you rather wear shoes every single second for the rest of your life or never be allowed to wear shoes ever again?
- What's your favorite smell?
- If there were no consequences for a day, what would you do?
- If you could have dinner with any three people from history, who would they be?
- If you were a chair, who would you like to sit on you?
- What is the best excuse for being late you’ve heard or used?
- When you were a kid, what name did you give your favorite toy or stuffed animal?
Questions to Ask a New Friend That You Can Ask Your Best Friend
When looking for questions to ask a new friend, you cannot help but think of questions to ask your best friend too. While there might be some good questions that you can ask both your new friend and your best friend, you should be careful and sensitive, because some questions that might be okay to ask your best friend might make your new friend uncomfortable.
- How do you like to be comforted when you’re sad or upset?
- Have you ever been bullied?
- Out of all your family members, who are you closest to?
- What’s one thing most people don’t know about you?
- What has your hardest goodbye in life been so far?
- What’s a talent you wish you had or that you’re working on?
- Have you ever had your fortune told?
- What's one book that changed your life?
- What's the first thing you notice when you meet a person?
- What social justice issues are you most passionate about?
Conversation Starters To Ask a New Friend
When thinking of conversation starters to ask a new friend, you should come up with questions that are light and easy to answer. The best questions are those that will make your new friend comfortable in your company. Pick one of these when you want to get your new friend talking.
- Who do you consider your hero in life?
- What makes you laugh the most?
- What was the last movie you went to? What did you think?
- What would you sing at Karaoke night?
- Who is your favorite author?
- Aside from necessities, what one thing could you not go a day without?
- How many pairs of shoes do you own?
- What would you do if you won the lottery?
- What’s a quote that inspires you?
- If you had a free hour, how would you spend it?
Get to Know You Questions To Ask a New Friend
It is but natural for you to ask to get to know you questions when you've just met someone. Asking this kind of question will bring you closer to your new friend and getting on their good side might just get a bit easier. Pick one of these when you want to get familiar with your new friend without getting too intimate.
- What's on your bucket list?
- Would you pick your current career again, or would you do something different?
- What's the first thing you do every morning?
- What does happiness mean to you?
- What does success mean to you?
- Dog person, cat person, or neither?
- What has been the highlight of your week/day?
- Have you done anything interesting lately?
- Do you ever look at a person and immediately think, “We couldn’t be friends”?
- Do you have house plants?
Fun Questions To Ask a New Friend
Fun questions to ask a new friend is your way to go if you want to get chatty with your new friend without touching their emotions too deep. These questions are perfect if you don't want to get all serious and you want to make the impression that you can also be a free-spirited person if the situation arises.
- What is your favorite takeout spot?
- Do you enjoy listening to people’s life stories or watching documentaries?
- What do you prefer between driving and being driven around?
- Do you like working out in the gym, or do you prefer hikes and runs?
- What’s your happy place?
- What three words describe what you’re most grateful for?
- What is the most exciting adventure you have been on?
- Where is the most awe-inspiring place you’ve ever visited?
- Which phone app do you think you use the least?
- What is your favorite part of your daily routine?
Funny Questions To Ask a New Friend
Pick one of these funny questions to ask a new friend when humor is your thing and you want to see your new friend's take on humor as well. These questions are meant to bring some laughter and kill whatever awkwardness is there between you and your new friend. If you're in for some hilarious moments, we've got you.
- Have you ever waved at someone thinking you know them, only to realize they are the wrong person?
- When was the last time you had a big fail moment?
- What’s your favorite corny joke?
- What is the weirdest fact you know?
- If animals could talk, which would be the most sarcastic?
- Where is the worst smelling place you’ve ever been?
- If you had to follow just one person on social media, who would it be?
- What is your favorite swear word?
- Why is it called lipstick if it doesn’t stick your lips together?
- What would be the worst bio for a dating app?
Would You Rather Questions To Ask a New Friend
Now, if you want a quick conversation starter, these would you rather questions to ask a new friend we've compiled is your greatest resource. These questions are meant to give both you and your new friend a good time by revealing a bit of yourselves with every choice you make.
- Would you rather lose an arm or a leg?
- Would you rather spend more time hunting for a good deal on something, or just buy it for its regular price and save some time?
- Would you rather get rich or marry “happily ever after”?
- Would you rather uncontrollably laugh for an hour per day or uncontrollably cry for 20 minutes per day at random times?
- Would you rather write a bestselling book or release a hit song?
- Would you rather be rich and spend your entire life in one city, or be poor but see the world?
- If you’d live until 100, would you rather keep the mind or the body of a 20-year-old?
- Would you rather time travel to the past and change it or travel to the future just to see what is there?
- Would you rather people perceive you as being kind, smart or attractive?
- Would you rather spend 5 years as a slave doing physical labor or as an inmate in a maximum-security prison?
Truth or Dare Questions To Ask a New Friend
When getting to know a new friend, playing the classic truth or dare game is a great idea. This is why we've gathered these truth or dare questions to ask a new friend, especially for those game sessions. Expect unparalleled fun times when you pick one of these questions.
- When was the last time you lied?
- When was the last time you cried?
- What's something you're glad your mum doesn't know about you?
- Have you ever ghosted on someone?
- What is one thing you would stand in line an hour for?
- Show the most embarrassing photo on your phone.
- Yell out the first word that comes to your mind.
- Pretend to be the person to your right for 10 minutes.
- Try to lick your elbow.
- Put as many snacks into your mouth at once as you can.
Random Questions to Ask a New Friend
These random questions to ask a new friend are good choices when looking for nothing in particular, but you still want to get the most out of idle moments that might transpire when you're with your new friend. Pick one of these when you want a random but nevertheless fun question to liven up any dull occasion.
- You’re out on the river in a one-person boat. Do you wear a life jacket?
- What’s one thing you wish that you could unsee?
- What’s one thing that’s best done spontaneously?
- If you could change one thing about society, what would it be?
- Did a celebrity death ever make you cry?
- Can you write an emoji story?
- If your wardrobe could only be one color, what would it be?
- Do you listen to podcasts, or mostly just music? What’s your favorite podcast?
- What is the cutest animal you’ve ever seen in person?
- What’s the best birthday party you’ve ever had?
Ice Breaker Questions to Ask a New Friend
If you are with a new friend, you're bound to need some questions to break the silence once in a while. If that moment, don't fret because we've got the best of the best ice breaker questions to ask a new friend that can do wonders, especially when you are in a rather dull and boring moment with someone you just met.
- How long have you been doing this job?
- What was your first job? Did you enjoy it?
- Have you ever had “imposter syndrome”? What did you do about it?
- Have you ever been in a sports league?
- Would you consider yourself a creative person?
- What is your favorite thing to learn about?
- What was your favorite story your family members told you as a kid?
- What’s something your family doesn’t know about you?
- Is there a particular food your family always makes when they get together?
- What are the most essential qualities you want in a friend?
Interesting Questions to Ask a New Friend
These interesting questions to ask a new friend are nothing short of fascinating because this can instantly make flat and tiresome moments engaging. You are bound to get more pleasant encounters with your new friend if you pick one of these.
- What is the one social thing you do because of social pressure that you don’t really enjoy?
- Which trends do you follow?
- What’s the most difficult book you’ve ever read?
- Which activity is the most reliably fun for you?
- If money was no object and you were to get into collecting something, what would you go for?
- Can you survive only using your phone for 30 minutes per day?
- What music genre do you think is underrated?
- What’s the best thing about YouTube?
- What people have made you who you are today?
- What do you think is your best quality?
Deep Questions To Ask A New Friend
When you think your new friend is in it for some serious talk don't be afraid to ask some intense questions. These deep questions to ask a new friend will facilitate emotionally charged discussions, so be prepared. Only pick one of these when you really think that your new friend is okay with it. When in doubt, opt for the safe questions.
- What do you want people to know about you?
- What do you need more of in your life?
- What do you really care about?
- How did you feel about where you grew up?
- What makes your life feel purposeful?
- Do you typically follow your heart or your head?
- If you could go back and change one thing about your past, what would it be?
- What's one of your most cherished memories?
- What qualities do you admire most in your parents?
- What legacy do you want to leave on Earth once you’re gone?
Downloadable and Printable List of Questions To Ask A New Friend
Here is a downloadable and printable list of questions to ask a new friend:
How to Pick the Best Questions To Ask A New Friend
When looking for the best questions to ask a new friend, consider the following.
1. Get a feel of your friend
Being a new friend means that you might have to trust your guts a bit. Get a feel of how your friend is going to respond to your questions. If you feel like they're leaning towards getting comfortable, then continue asking questions that will bring you closer. However, if you think that they're getting a bit uncomfortable, pause for a little while and think of ways to lighten up the mood.
2. Ask based on your intention
When picking a question, think of what you want to get out of that particular question. This will help you decide which question to pick. If you just want not to be caught in awkward silence with someone you just met, then go for the random questions. However, if your goal is to get close to your new friend, then go for the get to know you questions.
More Awesome Questions To Ask
- If you have reached another level of comfort with your friend, then you can proceed to ask some personal questions. Head to our list here to find the best ones there is.
- If you are in an all-adult event, a quick way to lighten up the mood is to ask one of our Never Have I Ever questions 18+.
- Now, if you're in a bit of a hurry and want to seize a particular moment, pick one of our quick ice breakers to instantly make an awkward moment a memorable one instead.
There are plenty of questions to ask a new friend on this list, so you're bound to find something that will fit your preferences. There is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to questions to ask friends, so make sure that you take some time to contemplate and decide which questions to ask to avoid unpleasant experiences.