Sam Whittaker | Jun 13, 2022 | 0
126 Best Ice Breaker Questions – Quickly spark conversations.
New? Start here.
Why do you need to know a few good ice breaker questions?
Because talking to someone for the first time can be tough. After all, you usually have little to no background information to work with. These ice breaker questions solve that.
If you want someone to warm up to you, first you have to break the ice. The perfect icebreaker makes the conversation that comes after flow much easier and more naturally.
Use these questions to ask when you're ready to initiate first contact, but you're not quite sure what to say. From there, just be your charming self, and let the conversation take its course organically. You may be surprised by how a good icebreaker question can make social interactions easier.
Use this handy list of good icebreaker questions to connect with people right from the first introduction.
10 Best Ice Breaker Questions
If you're in a rush, you should be able to find plenty of good ice breaker questions in this section. These questions appeal to people from all walks of life.
These are the best questions simply because they always work. You're sure to get the other person to crack a smile at very least, and sometimes one smile is all it takes to start a lifelong friendship.
Here are the 10 best ice breaker questions:
1. What’s your most embarrassing moment from your teen years?
Everyone has that cringe-worthy story, Out with 'em.
2. What’s the grossest food you ever had to eat to be polite?
Thanks for mutton.
3. What’s the worst thing you ever did as a kid — and got away with?
Welcome to Unsolved Mysteries: Your Parents Edition.
4. What’s your silliest memory with your best friend?
This is a feel-good question that's light and easy, but it can still inspire some deeper, heartfelt conversations.
5. What was the first concert you ever went to?
Music makes a great icebreaker, and people often like talking about first experiences like concerts.
6. What Disney/cartoon character were you inexplicably afraid of as a kid?
Cruelle de Vil, Cruelle de Vil, if she doesn't scare you, no evil thing will.
7. What’s the best prank you’ve ever played on someone?
Everyone can share some laughs over a good-natured prank (emphasis on the good-natured part).
8. It's Saturday morning. What's the first thing you do when you wake up?
Everyone loves the weekend.
9. If you were to get a tattoo, what would it say or what would the graphic be?
This question is great because you can get serious or funny answers. Either way it makes it easy for the other person to open up.
10. If you were to create a slogan for your life, what would the slogan be?
A fun way to approach this question is to take the entire day to try to come up with a slogan and then share your answers.
8 Ice Breaker Conversation Starters
These conversation starters are perfect for breaking the ice and then keeping the dialogue going.
Use these ice breakers when you have some time to devote to the conversation. Think lunch table, not passing someone in the hallway. Be ready to listen and contribute.
Here are 8 ice breaker conversation starters:
11. What was your favorite item of clothing as a kid?
No other toddler rocked those OshKosh train conductor overalls like you.
12. What was your first record, tape, or CD that you ever owned?
This is another one of those good icebreakers that everyone can relate to. Most people enjoy music, and nostalgia is always a great way to connect with someone.
13. What invention do you think will be popular in 20 years?
The future of technology is always a fascinating topic, and this is a broad, open-ended entry-way question that even people who aren't exactly tech-savvy can wax on.
14. If you were a candy bar, which candy bar would you be? Share why.
Everyone eats. Bond over food, and you might even learn about a new place to stuff your face.
15. If you had to endorse a brand, which brand would it be?
And what's your slogan/jingle?
16. If you could have an endless supply of any food, what would you get?
One dish only.
17. What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever eaten?
And describe the situation that led up to it.
18. If you could be one kind of beer which one would you be and why?
What does your favorite beer say about you? Are you more of a light and breezy Corona or a deep, brooding Guinness?
6 Get To Know You Ice Breaker Questions
Keep these get to know you questions on deck for when you want to form a lasting connection with someone new. The answers to these questions help you to get to know about a person. They're not too personal, but they're not too shallow either.
These questions are usually best saved for when you know someone, but not that well yet. Get to know you questions make great second or third questions when you want to keep the conversation rolling.
Here are 6 get to know you ice breaker questions:
19. What’s the strangest family tradition in your family?
Learning about someone's family and childhood is a great way to better understand them now.
20. What’s the worst job you’ve ever had?
We've all had those nightmare gigs. Lament.
21. What’s something about you that people would be surprised to know?
This question gives the other person an opportunity to talk about themselves in ways that don't normal come up in typical day-to-day discussions.
22. What's rocking your world this month?
This is a great question because it's always relevant. Learn what's going on with them right at this specific point in time.
23. If you had to describe yourself using three words, it would be…
Simple and to the point - that's what good icebreakers are all about.
24. Say you’re independently wealthy and don’t have to work, what would you do with your time?
This question and the resulting conversation sheds some light on their true motivations beyond just getting a paycheck.
9 Ice Breaker Questions To Ask A Girl
Whether she's a new co-worker, an old friend, or your latest Tinder match, these questions to ask a girl are perfect for forging a bond with the ladies in your life. They're lighthearted, but they can lead to more serious discussions, depending on how you steer the conversation.
Some of these questions may seem to be a little out of left field, and that's okay. Sometimes asking random questions can help you to stand out. After all, you don't want to be remembered (or forgotten) as the guy who always asks about the weather. Pepper these questions in with your usual approach to spice up your social interactions.
Here are 9 ice breaker questions to ask a girl:
25. What totally rad expression did you overuse in high school?
How phat was your lingo back in the day?
26. What was your favorite Halloween costume you wore as a child?
Halloween conjures up fun memories, perfect for kicking off a conversation on the right foot.
27. What band would you be embarrassed to admit you listen to?
No shame in your guilty pleasures if you own them.
28. What interesting skill do you want to learn?
Maybe you can help her learn it.
29. What's the craziest thing you've ever done in your life?
This is a fun conversation starter, and it's a great way to gauge her on the wildness scale of wet towel to party animal.
30. Where would you most like to live?
This question is light, but it opens up the possibility to discuss future goals and ambitions.
31. What was the coolest gift you ever gave someone?
Talking about gifts just feels good. Let her brag a little – there's nothing wrong with it.
32. If you could bring back any fashion trend what would it be?
Fashion can be a fun topic that girls may be surprised to hear you bring up. Plus, bygone fashion trends just make for some entertaining conversations.
33. If you were an ice cream flavor, which one would you be and why?
If she seems to be into you, now is a good time to ask her out for ice cream.
7 Ice Breaker Questions For Adults
Whether you're having dinner with your girlfriend's folks or shooting the breeze at the local watering hole, these icebreaker questions for adults keep awkward silences at bay.
Some of them are just fun questions that any age can appreciate, and others are geared towards more mature discussions. Know your audience, and choose wisely.
Here are 7 ice breaker questions for adults:
34. As a kid, did you ever do something wrong but manage to pin it on your siblings?
Adults used to be kids too, and talking about their childhood can be a great way to connect.
35. If you could choose your age forever, what age would you choose and why?
This question opens up endless answer possibilities about ages as well as unique personal experiences and memories.
36. If you could have true love or £1 million which would you choose?
The timeless question – love or money? Gain some perspective from someone with life experience.
37. 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s: Which decade do you love the most and why?
If you play your cards right, you might get some interesting stories about past eras.
38. If you had this week to do over again, what would you do differently?
Being willing to admit and learn from mistakes shows maturity. Just make sure you have an answer to contribute to the conversation.
39. What was the coolest gift you ever received?
There has to be at least one that stands out over the years.
40. Which band / artist – dead or alive would play at your funeral?
Music transcends time. Adults often have very eclectic music tastes, and you might learn about your new favorite record.
8 Funny Ice Breaker Questions To Ask
One solid laugh can lead to a lifetime of more. These funny questions to ask set a fun, uplifting mood that makes it easier to connect on a deeper level later.
Humor unites all types of people. Use these questions when you just feel like being goofy and sharing some laughs.
Here are 8 funny ice breaker questions:
41. What’s the worst haircut you ever had?
Bowl cut? Mohawk? Accidental baldness? Bonus points if pictures are available.
42. What commercial jingle gets stuck in your head all the time?
Bond over those incessant melodies that keep you up at night.
43. If you could eliminate one food so that no one would eat it ever again, what would you pick to destroy?
This goes beyond "I don't like enjoy food." We're talking those dishes that make you rage.
44. If you had to be Siamese twins with one person, which person would you pick to be stuck with?
Discuss the daily hijinks you'd get into.
45. Which famous person would you never want to meet?
This question is the antithesis of the Siamese twins question. Use it as a follow-up.
46. The zombie apocalypse is coming, who are 3 people you want on your team?
Real or fictional.
47. What is one article of clothing that someone could wear that would make you walk out on a date with them?
Are there any fashion deal-breakers that you just can't hang with? What if the person was the guy/girl of your dreams otherwise?
48. If you were a vegetable, what would you be?
This is a fun, quirky question to ask when you want to throw the other person for a loop – even if you don't carrot all about the answer.
11 Would You Rather Ice Breaker Questions
The 'would you rather' game is a classic. Would you rather questions are awesome because they make conversation effortless. Simply choose one answer or the other, and state your reasoning.
These questions are much more versatile than you might think. You can use them for surface-level conversation to pass the time, or you can turn the answers into fiery debates. After all, sometimes defending your answer is where things get most interesting.
Here are 11 would you rather ice breaker questions:
49. Would you rather be clever or attractive?
Brains or beauty?
50. Would you rather be really hairy or bald?
We're talking full body here.
51. Would you rather have invisibility or flight?
And how would you use your abilities?
52. Would you rather become a popular celebrity whom everyone hates or be a normal person whom everyone loves?
Glory or adoration?
53. Would you rather go into the past and meet your ancestors or go into the future and meet your great-great grandchildren?
Are you more interested in where your DNA came from or what direction it's going?
54. Would you rather have more time or more money?
They say that both are one and the same, but if you had to choose...
55. Would you rather have a rewind button or a pause button on your life?
And how often would you use it?
56. Would you rather have x-ray vision or magnified hearing?
You can turn both of them off at your leisure.
57. Would you rather work in a group or work alone?
Are you leader of the pack or more of a lone wolf?
58. Would you rather be stuck on an island alone or with someone who talks incessantly?
Unfortunately, a quiet volleyball companion isn't an option.
59. Would you rather be a kid your whole life or an adult your whole life?
Do kids rule and adults drool, or vice-versa?
7 Truth or Dare Ice Breaker Questions
From slumber parties to after-parties, truth or dare questions never go out of style. The game has spawned countless memories and stories that quickly turn into legend.
Use truth or dare questions with caution – once you start, there's no turning back. It should go without saying, but always be truthful and fulfill your dares (within reason, of course).
Here are 7 truth or dare ice breaker questions:
60. If you had to marry someone in this room, who would it be?
Does this count as a proposal? Only time will tell.
61. I dare you to prank call another person we know.
Ideally someone not in the room.
62. Go grab a broom and do your best tango.
The foxtrot works if you don't know how to tango.
63. What is the craziest thing that you have ever done while drunk?
If you can't remember, consult someone who was there for the juicy tidbits.
64. Do your best chicken dance outside on the lawn.
You may need to bring the speakers outside for this one.
65. What is one thing you are always losing?
Your keys? Your mind?
66. Go outside, and while skipping down the street, sing “Let it Go’ from Frozen.
This one works especially well on a hot summer's day.
7 Deep Ice Breaker Questions To Ask
These deep questions to ask are usually saved for after you know a someone, but not super well. Some of them can be a little personal, so don't be too hasty with them.
Because these questions cover heavier topics, we recommend using them sparingly. Remember to be a good listener and contribute to the discussion. After all, a good conversation goes both ways.
Here are 7 deep ice breaker questions to ask:
67. What's your most significant current challenge?
This simple question shows that you care about the other person and that you're interested in their current state of being. Be mindful of the person's response, and consider helping them to find a solution.
68. If money were not a consideration, how would you spend the days of your life?
This is a roundabout way to find out about a person's true passions beyond what they do to make the rent.
69. What is the best praise or advice you’ve received?
Sharing wisdom helps both of you to grow as people.
70. What would you do in life if you knew you could not fail?
And if every failure is a chance to learn and improve, do failures really exist at all?
71. What do you miss most about childhood?
This question lets you reminisce about the good old days. Don't forget to also discuss what you love about your current age.
72. What is the best thing you have done in your life?
This is a big question, so don't be surprised when you get big responses.
73. If you could be guaranteed one thing in life (besides money), what would it be?
Love? Happiness? Shelter? Food? Water? Free WiFi?
8 Ice Breaker Questions To Ask on A Date
Out of all social situations, solid good icebreaker questions are most crucial on that first date. Having some clutch first date questions up your sleeve is a must for keeping your lucky company entertained. After all, nobody likes to sit in silence.
It's normal to be nervous on a date. Take a deep breath, and use these questions only when necessary. When you can't think of something to say, these questions are your backup. When you're at a loss for words, remember your favorites, or make a quick run to the bathroom to check the list on your phone – we won't tell.
Here are 8 ice breaker questions to ask on a date:
74. What’s the craziest thing on your bucket list?
And how do you plan to make it happen?
75. What’s a weird fact you happen to know?
Random questions get fun answers, and you may learn something new.
76. What are two truths and a lie about you?
A classic game that can be quite revealing.
77. What’s a funny (appropriate) pick-up line that works for you?
And now enjoy as I repeat it back to you verbatim.
78. What food could you not live without?
Take note, and bring her out for that food on your next date.
79. What are your pet peeves or interesting things about you that you dislike?
Pro tip: actively avoid those things if you want to keep her around.
80. If you can instantly become an expert in something, what would it be?
This is a great way to find out about her interests without prying. Try to come up with a second date based on her answer.
81. If you were left on a deserted island with either your worst enemy or no one, which would you choose and why?
This seems like a silly question, but it helps you to understand if she's the type to hold a grudge or resolve conflicts.
11 Ice Breaker Questions For Small Groups
Whether you are running a team-building session or you want to make new friends at work, knowing some ice breaker questions for small groups will help.
Here are 11 ice breaker questions for small groups:
82. If you were banished to a desert island, would you rather be there alone or with your worst enemy?
This question might seem like a no-brainer, but the more you think about it, the more you change your mind.
83. If you were a wrestler, what would be your entrance theme song?
Let's face it. Wrestlers are only as good as their entrance theme song.
84. What is the biggest way you've changed since you were a child? In what way are you still the same?
Let people brag about their development and reminisce about childhood.
85. What movie or book does everyone love that you don't like at all?
The controversy always gets people talking.
86. If you could go back and visit any time period, what time would you travel to and why?
Everyone has fun playing time traveler.
87. What was the worst style choice you ever made?
The self-mockery always gets the whole group laughing.
88. What is an accomplishment that gives you pleasure?
It's really a chance for everyone to brag and feel good about themselves.
89. What is a different career or volunteer position you would enjoy?
A great way to find out people have unknown common interests.
90. What’s the ideal dream job for you?
This one really works with young people.
91. If you could ask God one question, what would you ask?
Have a community moment fathoming the unfathomable.
92. What is the strangest tradition in your family?
A lot of times, people have weird traditions in common.
2 Random Ice Breaker Questions
Normal ice breaker questions can be so boring. So why not ask some random questions to liven up the conversation?
Here are 2 random ice breaker questions:
93. How do you feel about the 5-second rule?
There are so many variations on the rule. It is best just to ask.
94. What is your go-to dance move?
If you ask this question, it's best to ask for a demonstration as well.
3 Never Have I Ever Ice Breaker Questions
Never have I ever questions might be an unusual choice, but they are a great way to break the ice. So why not use one in your next conversation?
Here are 3 never have I ever ice breaker questions:
95. Never have I ever eavesdropped on strangers talking.
Because let's face it, listening to strangers talking makes everything a little more interesting.
96. Never have I ever spent too much money on food.
Depending on the occasion, everyone has spent too much money on food.
97. Never have I ever gotten a stomach ache from eating too much.
I would like to direct your attention to the previous question.
4 First Date Ice Breaker Questions
When you have first date nerves, the last thing you want to do is run out of things to talk about. That's where these first date questions come to the rescue.
Here are 4 first date ice breaker questions:
98. What event has changed the course of your life the most?
One event can change a life. But what is theirs?
99. Do you enjoy cooking?
This question is a good one to ask because:
1. If they do like cooking, they can make nice food.
2. They can make nice food for you.
100. Where were you born and how many places have you lived?
This might seem like a basic question, but you'll be surprised how well the conversation will go once you ask it.
101. What food did you hate as a child but enjoy now?
I will put money on it that the answer to this question is some type of vegetable.
5 Ice Breaker Questions to Ask a Guy
Guys can be very closed off. Some don't like sharing their feelings, let alone their deepest desires. But when you know the best questions to ask a guy, you can learn so much more.
Here are 5 ice breaker questions to ask a guy:
102. What are you really good at, but kind of embarrassed that you are good at it?
When you were a kid, summers were really long. So it's no wonder that you can sing the alphabet backward.
103. What is your spirit animal?
This question has to lead to some really heated debates, so strap yourself in.
104. Who is your celebrity crush?
Everyone has their own celebrity crush, but just how embarrassing is it?
105. Where’s the weirdest place you’ve ever slept?
Some people have slept in a church, others in a bathroom stall. Either way, the stories will be interesting.
106. Do you have an irrational fear?
Some people have normal fears like dogs, snakes, and alligators. But for others, it's dinosaurs and cheese. Each to their own, I guess.
5 Weird Ice Breaker Questions
They say you need to live with someone to know all their quirks. Or you could save yourself the trouble and just ask some weird questions instead.
Here are 5 weird ice breaker questions:
107. Do you have a secret talent, and what is it?
This question won't only give you interesting answers but could also give you a talent show of the weirdest talents.
108. What would be the most spectacular funeral you could imagine?
Talking about funerals can be depressing. But when that funeral has confetti and a trampoline, how could you be sad.
109. Do you untie your shoes when you take them off?
Ah yes. The eternal question. Whatever the answer, there will be follow up questions, I guarantee it.
110. What scene from a movie scarred you for life?
Many scenes have scared me over the years, but I don't think I'll ever get over The Witches.
111. If God sneezes, what should you say?
This one is a brain scratcher but really gets everyone talking.
5 Interesting Ice Breaker Questions
Interesting questions can bring the best out in people. From finding out who inspires them to what empowers them, an interesting question always leads to interesting conversations.
Here are 5 interesting ice breaker questions:
112. What brings chills down your spine?
Finding out what freaks people out is always really interesting.
113. Whom do you secretly admire?
When it comes to motivation, everyone has someone they look up to.
114. How do you secretly manipulate people to get your way?
115. What do you want people you meet for the first time to think about you?
This question really digs deep into what people think about themselves. So make sure you only use it with people you know well.
116. What makes you feel powerful?
From a new hairstyle to a new car, it is amazing what makes people feel powerful.
5 Personal Ice Breaker Questions
When it comes to ice breaker questions, personal questions are the best. Not only do you get to know something new about the person, but they can actually be really funny as well.
Here are 5 personal ice breaker questions:
117. If you could tell your university-aged self something, what would it be?
The idea of talking to your past self can be weird, but it's amazing the advice you would give.
118. Do you prefer to lead a team or take a back seat?
There are leaders and followers in every group. Ask this question to find out who's who.
119. Have you ever secretly wished to date your close friend?
Beware: This question might lead to some heartbreak.
120. Which album can you listen until your last breath?
There is no right answer to this question, but answers will be judged.
121. How do you evaluate success?
Success is subjective. So why not ask this question and see what other people think?
5 Ice Breaker Questions to Ask Friends
When you have run out of things to talk about with your friends, having some questions to ask friends will help your conversation run smoothly.
Here are 5 ice breaker questions to ask friends:
122. What weird food combinations do you really enjoy?
From mustard on pineapple to honey on a margarita pizza, the answers to this question can be strange and wonderful.
123. What’s the weirdest Wikipedia rabbit hole you’ve stumbled down?
Wikipedia is a destroyer of time. But you always learn something.
124. What movie can you watch over and over without ever getting tired of?
This question is a great way to create a list of must-watch movies.
125. What animal would be cutest if scaled down to the size of a cat?
As questions go, this one will really make your friends think.
126. If you have an hour left to live, what would you do?
An extreme version of a bucket list, this question is sure to make your friends think.
7 ice breaker questions to ask a new friend
It can be hard to break the ice when you've just met someone. You might have trouble coming up with questions to ask a new friend that can cut the silence between the two of you. Don't be that quiet, awkward guy.
Here are 7 ice breaker questions to ask a new friend:
127. What excuse do you use all the time?
You never know, you can add another excuse to your list of excuses.
128. If you were a refrigerator, what item would you hate holding?
This is a particularly interesting question. Imagine a refrigerator coughing up a food item.
129. What is your most-used emoji?
They say you can tell a lot about a person depending on their most-used emoji.
130. If you were stranded on a desert island what’s one thing you would bring with you?
It would depend. Is there a signal or not?
131. What holiday no longer holds the meaning for you that it used to?
You'd think it's sad to think about it, but sometimes, there's good in that.
132. What’s your idea of fun on your day off?
Some people will say being alone, some will say hanging out with friends.
133. Do you collect anything?
Any collection is worth talking about.
Downloadable and Printable List of Ice Breaker Questions
Here is a downloadable and printable list of ice breaker questions (right click the image and select Save Image As...):
How to Ask Ice Breaker Questions
You can't jump in and ask ice breaker questions without preparing. Luckily, we have gathered steps on how to ask these questions.
Here is how to ask ice breaker questions:
1. Confidence Is Key
Approaching someone new takes guts. If you're going to do it, try not to be timid about it. Embrace that nervousness – it's part of the fun – and break the ice. Someone has to do it, so it might as well be you.
2. Overconfidence Is Not
There's a fine line between confidence and arrogance. Your goal is to break the ice, not shatter, mince, and melt it. Pay attention to the other person's reactions and body language, and give them plenty of breathing room. Plant a seed, not a tree.
3. Know Your Audience
Breaking the ice with a new date and with her parents are two totally different ballgames. We've separated these questions into convenient lists for you, so choose your openers wisely.
4. Join the Conversation
Don't ask question after question and then be surprised if someone isn't feeling it. These ice breakers are for inviting someone to join a conversation, not an interrogation. Keep it light and cool, and always remember to listen.
5. Remember the Conversation
After you've broken the ice, you have some context for next time you see the person. While you don't want to rehash the same discussion again, simply referencing your previous interaction in a natural way shows that you remember the other person and valued the interaction you shared. That goes a long way in solidifying the early stages of a new relationship.
More Great Questions To Ask
After you've broken the ice, the possibilities are endless. Check out these other questions to ask:
- Learning how to start a conversation is going to make every social interaction that much better.
- Connect with people through laughter using these awesome funny get to know you questions.
- Throw people for a loop every time with these off-the-wall and outside-the-box random questions.
Nobody bats a thousand. Sometimes, people may want to keep their iciness fully intact. In those situations, simply move on. There are plenty of people out there who are happy to open up, and those are the people who these ice breaker questions are geared towards.
Getting to know new people is one of the best ways to enrich yourself, so get out there and start chipping away at some icy layers. Usually, you're going to find that there's a warm soul underneath just waiting to be let out.