If you're hoping to find out more about a person you've just met, it can be really useful to begin with a few fun questions to get to know someone. Knowing what questions to ask can make the conversation feel relaxed and easy. Plus, if you have some interesting or amusing questions to get to know someone, it can make it seem as though you really want to know more about the person's life and opinions.
It's never easy to begin a conversation with someone new, but with some fun questions to ask, you'll make it seem like you're a conversational pro. If you're looking for the best fun questions to get to know someone, you'll really want to check out the list below.
8 Best Fun Questions to Get to Know Someone
Chatting to new people can sometimes seem daunting, but there is no need for it to feel like that. If you can get the other person to spend a lot of time talking about themselves, you don't need to worry too much about what you're going to say. All you need to know are some awesome fun questions to get to know someone. The questions below will work in almost any situation, so they're super useful to remember.
1. What’s the closest thing to real magic?
Find out what real thing someone thinks is super cool and amazing.
2. What celebrity would you rate as a perfect 10?
Use this question to get to know the physical or personality traits someone likes best.
3. What is the best and worst purchases you’ve ever made?
You might find out about unusual things the person you're speaking to has bought.
4. What is the craziest thing one of your teachers has done?
This is a great question to ask a child or student.
5. What do you wish you knew more about?
This is a good thing to ask if you want to find out about someone's interests.
6. What’s the farthest you’ve ever been from home?
Does the person you're speaking to like travelling? If so this is a useful question.
7. What fad or trend do you hope comes back?
This is a super fun question that everyone can answer.
8. What’s the most interesting piece of art you’ve seen?
People who enjoy art will love answering this question.
7 Fun Conversation Starters To Get To Know Someone
Do you love to chat to new people but are often stuck for something to say? Conversation starters are all you need - these lead the other person into a conversation and offer an easy way to get chatting. Choose your favorites from the list below and try them out next time you're speaking to someone you don't know.
9. If you could choose any historical figure to be your imaginary friend, who would it be and why?
This question might take a bit of thought, but the answer will definitely be worth the pause.
10. If a new volcano formed and the government had an online contest to see what it would be named, what name would you submit?
As a random question, this one really works.
11. What’s the most ridiculous fact you know?
If you're looking for a question that can spark a fun conversation, this is a great contender.
12. What’s the weirdest thing a guest has done at your house?
You might get some unexpected answers when you ask this.
13. You’re a mad scientist, what scientific experiment would you run if money and ethics weren’t an issue?
You'll definitely receive some interesting answers to this science-based question.
14. What is the strangest thing you’ve ever eaten?
People who like to travel the world will probably have some unusual foods to tell you about.
15. If you were in a witness protection program, what would be your new name and where would you go?
This question is relatively easy to answer so you can ask it of anyone.
8 Fun Questions to Get to Know a Girl
Some people find talking to girls effortless, while others struggle to come up with great things to say. It's always a good idea to ask a girl lots of questions as you'll seem attentive and intrigued to hear her answers. For the most amusing questions to ask a girl, take your pick from the list below.
16. Do you think that you would be happiest living in a city or on a farm?
This question will help you determine the type of person that she is.
17. What decade do you think you would most fit in?
This is a fun way to find out about someone's music taste or fashion sense.
18. What’s something that happened in your past that you’re incredibly embarrassed about?
A question like this is a nice way to ask about her personal experiences.
19. Do you believe that the saying “nice guys finish last” has any truth to it?
You might find that the girl has to pause before she answers this question.
20. What would you grab if your house was on fire?
This is a quick and easy question for any girl to answer.
21. What was your worst job?
You will probably find out something unexpected when you ask this.
22. What is the most embarrassing thing you have ever worn?
Unusual questions are always welcome in conversations with girls and this one fits the bill.
23. What are you too old to do but still enjoy doing?
It's always fun to talk about nostalgic activities.
8 Fun Questions to Get to Know a Guy
Starting a conversation with a guy really can be as easy as asking him a thoughtful question. Guys like to talk about themselves so, as you don't choose a 'yes or no' question, you can't go wrong when you ask a guy something about himself. Memorize a few of these awesome questions to ask a guy and you'll never find it awkward to speak to a guy.
24. What are your secret skills?
A guy will be pleased if he gets to impress you with his secret skill.
25. What is something that I wouldn't believe about you?
You'll definitely learn something new when you ask this.
26. What conspiracy theories do you believe in?
You might be surprised to hear the answer to this question.
27. What three things you would never spend your money on?
This question can help you find out what kind of things he values and doesn't value.
28. What’s your biggest kitchen fail?
You might get some funny answers when he talks about dishes he's tried to cook.
29. Could you go for a month without any kind of electronic gadget?
Ask this and decide whether you think he's telling the truth.
30. If you could eat only one kind of food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
This is an easy question to answer but opens to the door to a great conversation.
31. What mythical creature would improve the world the most if it existed?
This question is random but fun.
6 Fun Questions To Get To Know Couples
There are lots of situations when you might be chatting to new couples, for example on a double date, at a party or at dinner with friends. With some great questions to ask couples, you won't find these occasions tricky or embarrassing. Use the questions below to discover interesting information about the couple and their views.
32. What household chore do you actually enjoy?
This is a great question to ask couples - wait and see if they disagree with each other's answers.
33. What’s your ideal way to spend a vacation?
Talking about travelling or vacations is always enjoyable.
34. Describe each other in three words.
This is a quick and easy question which can lead to a great follow-up question.
35. What adventure would you like to do in the next few months?
Finding out about people's plans can be a good way to get them talking.
36. What spontaneous things have you done this month?
Be sure to have your own answer ready if you ask this question.
37. What was the first meal that you ever cooked for your partner? How was it?
Couples will enjoy thinking back to their first few dates.
8 Fun Random Questions to Get to Know Someone
Random questions to get to know someone can be really useful because you can use these questions on anyone. They'll come out of the blue which will make the other person pause for a moment while they think about what they're going to say next. They're perfect for times when there's a lull in the conversation as these fun questions to get to know someone will give you an insight into the other person's thoughts.
38. What is something are you certain you’ll NEVER do?
This is a very random question but one which will throw up some interesting answers.
39. What is the funniest joke you know by heart?
Asking to hear a joke is always a great conversation starter.
40. If you were given the chance to marry any fictional character, who would it be?
You'll be able to find out what the person you're speaking to looks for in a partner.
41. What is the cheesiest pick up line you’ve ever tried?
This question will offer some entertaining answers.
42. What would be the worst “buy one get one free” sale of all time?
Do you know what you'd answer if someone asked you this?
43. What is something that most people get wrong about you?
Find out what people tend to believe about the person you're asking.
44. If time wasn’t an issue and you had forever to master a skill, what skill would you like to master?
You can learn about someone's interests with this query.
45. What looks like it should taste better than it does?
This random question will definitely make people think.
9 Fun Would You Rather Questions to Get to Know Someone
This type of question is short and snappy, making it easy for the other person in the conversation to answer without too much thought. Would you rather questions are easy to memorize, meaning they're very useful to have up your sleeve for slow conversations.
46. Would you rather always say everything that goes in your mind or never speak a word again?
This is a great twist on a classic question.
47. Would you rather the aliens that make first contact be robotic or organic?
This is a random question that will offer an interesting answer.
48. Would you rather have one real get out of jail free card or a key that opens any door?
You might have to wait a moment while people consider their answer to this one.
49. Would you rather be able to see 10 minutes into your own future or 10 minutes into the future of anyone but yourself?
It's likely that this 'would you rather' question will make the other person stop and think.
50. Would you rather have unlimited international first-class tickets or never have to pay for food at restaurants?
Travellers will certainly enjoy answering this.
51. Would you rather have whatever you are thinking to appear above your head for everyone to see or have absolutely everything you do live-streamed for anyone to see?
Do you know what you'd answer if someone asked you this?
52. Would you rather have skin that changes color based on your emotions or tattoos appear all over your body depicting what you did yesterday?
A funny question to ask and one that everyone can answer.
53. Would you rather live in a cave or live in a tree house?
You'll get to know the other person a little better when you ask this.
54. Would you rather have a flying carpet or a car that can drive underwater?
This question is quick to answer but can lead into a conversation.
7 Fun Interview Questions To get To Know Someone
Interview questions can be useful to know for networking situations. This type of question is usually based on someone's business, career or personality, so they can be fantastic for times when you're making a new business acquaintance, as well as when you're interviewing someone. Ask these fun interview questions and you might be surprised at the answers.
55. What’s one thing that’s happened in your life that has made you feel like a strong person?
This is a really useful question for interviews.
56. What’s the main reason you get out of bed every day?
Find out about someone's passion with this question.
57. What sparks your light and gets you motivated?
If you want to learn what inspires someone, this is a good thing to ask.
58. Any advice for your previous boss?
This is an essential interview question - you'll quickly find out whether someone belongs at your company.
59. What’s the most interesting thing about you that we wouldn’t learn from your resume alone?
This gives the candidate a chance to tell you more about their life.
60. Describe the color yellow to somebody who is blind.
You can learn a lot about the way someone thinks from the answer to this.
61. How would you convince someone to do something they didn’t want to do?
It can be really useful to hear someone answer this question.
7 Fun Icebreaker Questions To Get to Know Someone
Ice breaker questions help to get conversations started when you're in a group. Like ice breaker games, they help to cut through the silence and start people on the journey to getting to know each other.
62. If you could add a word to the dictionary what would you add and what would it mean?
This is a great icebreaker question which will require a little thinking time.
63. How would you spend a million dollars? How about a billion?
Most people will come up with an answer to this pretty quickly.
64. If you could be any supernatural creature, what would you be and why?
Do you know what supernatural creature you'd be?
65. What is your favorite time of the day and why?
This is a quick and easy question so you can use it on anyone.
66. What food do you love that a lot of people might find a little odd?
If you'd like to find out something funny about someone, this might be your chance.
67. Who is the most interesting person you’ve met and talked with?
If you're hoping to get the other person chatting, this is a great starting point.
68. What wastes the most time in your day to day life?
A thoughtful question that lots of people will appreciate.
7 Fun Never Have I Ever Questions To Get To Know Someone
If you're playing never have I ever you'll need some fun and silly questions for everyone to answer. Use the never have I ever questions below to find out more about one person or a whole group of people - you'll instantly get an insight into their personality.
69. Never have I ever sung karaoke.
This is a brilliant one to start off with.
70. Never have I ever sang in the shower.
What kind of person has never sung in the shower?
71. Never have I ever secretly wished I were a wizard at Hogwarts.
Many of us have wished we were a witch or wizard.
72. Never have I ever thought a cartoon character was hot.
This is an unusual question that will teach you more about the people you're asking.
73. Never have I ever reread an email immediately after sending it.
This one will make people smile.
74. Never have I ever Googled my own name to see what comes up.
If you haven't done this, you need to give it a go.
75. Never have I ever lied in a job interview.
You might be able to find out what people have lied about.
7 Fun Speed Dating Questions To Get To Know Someone
Often the scariest part of speed dating is thinking of what to say to the other person. But it's really simple - all you need are some awesome speed dating questions to ask and you're set. The secret is that you can ask the same questions to every single person you meet or pick and choose depending on the person.
76. Have you ever broken someone’s heart?
This is practically essential to ask on a date.
77. If you were a vegetable, what would you be and why?
There are so many different ways to answer this question.
78. What’s the worst advice you’ve ever received?
Be prepared to give your opinion on the advice.
79. Are you an adventurous person?
You can definitely use this question to discover more about someone's personality.
80. What would you do with your “15 minutes of fame”?
Everyone has wanted to be famous at some point in their life.
81. What was the funniest thing you’ve seen recently online?
Prepare to hear about cat videos and memes.
82. What’s the silliest thing you are pretty good at?
A lighthearted question that could be met with a funny answer.
9 Fun But Deep Questions To Ask To Get To Know Someone
If you want to get a real, honest answer out of someone, you'll definitely want to check out these deep questions to ask. These are a shortcut to really getting to know someone and understanding them.
83. If there’s one thing you could change about yourself, what would it be?
You might get some very deep answers when you fire this question off.
84. If you could go back in time and give yourself advice, what would you say?
You can use this to ask more about someone's experiences.
85. If you could send a message to the whole world and they would listen, what message would you give?
A lovely question that will give you an insight into how someone feels about life.
86. What is the most important thing on your bucket list?
You could also ask when the person is planning to do it.
87. If you had to be stuck at one age forever, what age would you choose and why?
Whoever you pose this question to will offer details about their experiences and memories.
88. What’s your favorite family tradition?
This is a nice way to discover more about someone's family.
89. What’s something that a lot of people are missing out on because they don’t know about it?
This is a really lovely question to ask on a date.
90. What big problem do you think technology will solve next?
Be sure to know what problem you think technology will solve too.
91. What makes you feel old when you think about it?
You might bond over feeling old about the same things.
Downloadable and Printable List of Fun Questions to Get to Know Someone
Here is a downloadable and printable list of fun questions to get to know someone (right click the image and select Save Image As...):
How to Pick the Best Fun Questions to Get to Know Someone
Are you feeling a bit confused about how to pick the best questions? Follow the tips below and you'll quickly find the right questions for your situation.
1. Who do you want to get to know?
This is very important to consider because the questions that you ask a couple will be different to the questions that you ask someone you're hoping to date. Considering exactly who you'll be asking the questions to will determine what kind of fun questions to get to know someone that you should ask.
2. In what situation will you be asking the questions?
If you are at a dinner party with friends of friends, you will probably want to use fun, relaxed and conversational questions. However, if you are at a networking event, your questions will be more business-orientated and less personal. Thinking of the situation that you'll be in will help you choose whether to go for funny icebreakers or deep questions.
3. What do you like to talk about?
An important thing to think about is the topics that you like to speak about yourself. This is because you'll need to be interested in the other person's answer and you might be tempted to offer a follow-up question. It's common that the person you're talking to will ask the same question of you, so your questions should be based on a topic that you're happy to talk about yourself.
More Awesome Questions
If you're looking for even more fun questions, perhaps for a specific situation, you won't want to miss out on the fantastic questions below.
- If you know a couple who recently got married, these awesome newlywed game questions are perfect.
- Do you really want to know everything about someone? You'll want to ask a few of these personal questions.
- If you'd like to know of some thoughtful things to ask your boyfriend, girlfriend or spouse, these questions to ask your significant other are just what you need.
Finding out about someone new is always interesting and exciting. By asking the best fun questions to get to know someone, you can start an insightful conversation which will help you bond.