Robin Sutherns | Sep 16, 2021 | 0
65 Best Interesting Interview Questions - Keep applicants on their toes.
New? Start here.
Interviews can be boring and they generally lack any interesting interview questions. No one really likes them but they have to be done.
When you are a manager, it can be difficult to pick the best questions to ask. You want to get to know the candidate without stepping over the line.
So what you really need is a list of brilliant interview questions? Well, we have you covered!
7 Best Interesting Interview Questions
Being prepared for an interview is a must. From making sure you have the right paperwork to preparing the best interesting interview questions, it can be a chore. But don't worry, we have you covered.
Here are the 7 best interesting interview questions:
1. What were you like in high school?
No matter what age the candidate is, this question will really make them think.
2. If I were to hire you for this job and I granted you three promises with regard to working here, what would they be?
If you want to know what their expectations for the role are, ask this question.
3. Teach me something I don’t know in the next five minutes.
If you are hiring for a fast-paced job and want to see if someone can think of their feet, this question is the one to ask.
4. What do you work toward in your free time?
A person's list of hobbies can tell a lot about them. And yes, Netflix is an appropriate answer.
5. How would you rate your memory?
Being able to retain information and use it whenever you need, it's a must-have in any job.
6. How would you value the store on the corner?
Figure out how a candidate views the world around them by asking this question.
7. Describe the color yellow to somebody who is blind.
Communication is key in any job. Test their communication skills with this question.
7 Interesting Questions To Know Your Interviewee Better
It is very easy to stick to a script when you are interviewing people, but those interview questions only give you a small insight into the person.
When interviewing, you should ask some get to know you questions, so you can figure out if the person will fit in with your company and other employees.
Here are 7 interesting get to know you interview questions:
8. Tell me about yourself.
This is a basic question but can be very revealing.
9. Why should we hire you?
A question that always puts someone on the spot. Most candidates will have an answer for this.
10. What motivates you?
Money is obviously the most obvious motivator, but some people's motivation might surprise you.
11. What are your skills?
They may not be Liam Nesson with a very particular set of skills, but the skills they do have will tell you a lot about them as a person.
12. How do you feel when someone criticizes your work?
Taking criticism is all part of learning and if they don't respond well, they won't learn much.
13. Who are your role models and mentors?
You never know. You both might have the same role models.
That's such a coincidence. My role model is Tom Brady too!
14. What are your favorite industry websites, books or other resources?
This question will give you an idea of how much they're interested in this area of work.
8 Interesting Personal Interview Questions
While personal questions are a great way to get to know someone, you need to tread lightly when using them.
Keep the personal questions general and keep the overall conversation light.
Here are 8 interesting personal interview questions:
15. What do you hope to gain from a new role with us?
For some people it's money. For others, it's the experience. Find out which with this interview question.
16. What questions do you have for us?
While you might think that you have explained the position well, the candidate may have some questions for you.
17. Why did you choose the degree/career path/training that you did?
This is a great interview question to understand their initial goals and whether their goals have changed since they graduated.
18. How do you choose what companies and roles to apply to?
This will give you an idea as to the companies you are competing against and whether you can offer as good a package.
19. How do you think your family and friends would describe you?
Self-awareness is a great trait for any potential employee. Test their self-awareness with this question.
20. If you get the job, what do you hope to accomplish in your first week, month and year?
Goals are important. Self-assigned goals are effective. Find out what their goals are with this interview question.
21. Where do you believe our industry/profession will be in 5 or 10 years?
This question will show you how self-motivated the candidate is.
22. What’s something you’d be happy doing every day for the rest of your career?
This is a great question to ask. Their answer will let you know if the position is helping them fulfill life goals.
8 Interesting Interview Questions For Managers
Hiring managers is one of the most difficult things to do. You have to make sure that they're authoritative enough to get the job done but also friendly enough that they create good professional relationships with employees.
When picking interview questions for managers, make sure that you pick ones that will help you pick the perfect candidate:
Here are 8 interesting interview questions for managers:
23. If you’re offered more than one job, how will you decide which one to accept?
Being able to identify the pros and cons and prioritize one thing over another is essentially the job.
24. Do you want to become a manager, leader, or executive in our company?
This questions is a great way of identifying personal goals and where the candidate sees themselves in 5 years.
25. What kind of work would make you excited to get out of bed on Monday morning?
Motivation get you out of bed in the morning. You're just asking if the job will do the same.
26. Tell me about a time you let an employee go.
Letting an employee go is a very difficult situation. It's the way it's handled that separates the good candidates from the great candidates.
27. Tell me about a time you led by example.
Managers, no matter the level, are leaders. This question will show how effective of a leader they are.
28. How do you delegate tasks to your team?
While being a jack of all trades is a great trait, being able to delegate work is more effective than doing it all on your own.
29. What kind of work environment do you prefer?
Answers to this question can vary. Some of the answers are hilarious and some of them might actually be an option.
30. What are the qualities of a successful manager?
If your candidate thinks that a domineering and angry manager is the best type of manager, you may want to rethink their application.
6 Interesting Questions For Phone Interview
Sometimes, person-to-person interviews are not possible. But when you are conducting a phone interview you don't get to see the candidate's body language or facial expressions.
Therefore, when picking phone interview questions, try and pick questions that will give you a clear impression of the person.
Here are 6 interesting phone interview questions:
31. Why did you apply?
Their motivation to apply for the position may be the difference between just doing their job and excelling at their job.
32. What are your key professional strengths?
Knowing their strengths is a great way of knowing how they will benefit your company.
33. What do you know about the company?
Every candidate should be able to answer this one. If not, you probably shouldn't hire them.
34. What's your definition of hard work?
Some people work hard but not effectively. Figure out how the candidate works with this question.
35. Can You Tell Me About a Time When You Overcame a Challenge?
This is one of the most interesting interview questions to ask. It shows what type of person they are and whether they get stuff done under difficult circumstances.
36. What made you excited to get up and come to work at your last job?
Not everyone will have an answer for this one, but if they do take note. That one thing might get you more quality candidates.
8 Interesting Questions For Hypothetical Situations
Hypothetical questions are a great way of figuring out the candidate will perform in a certain situation. They can tell you more about their personality, conflict resolution approaches, and overall performance.
Here are 8 interesting hypothetical interview questions:
37. Tell me about a time you were the hero in your workplace.
This question may take some creative thinking but everyone has been a hero in their workplace at some stage.
38. What personal or professional accomplishments are you most proud of?
Remember personal accomplishments are just as important to your company as professional ones.
39. How would you pitch our product/service to a person you meet on the street?
If you are hiring for a sale position, this question is a great way of figuring out their cold pitch abilities.
40. If a client or a supervisor asked you for something outside of the scope of your job description, training or otherwise, how would you handle it?
The best candidates will always say something like "Ask for Help" or "Take time to research".
41. Tell me about a time you screwed up and what you did about it.
Mistakes happen all the time. It's the way the candidate deals with it that will tell the whole story.
42. Have you ever dealt with someone with an ego in any of your previous roles?
The answer to this one is always yes. But listen out for the way they dealt with this person as this will tell you how diplomatic the candidate it.
43. You got the job and we’ve given you a task that you’re solely in charge of and you have to decide on how to spend the budget and establish the strategy. Tell us where you’d start and how it would be completed.
A great candidate is also a great planner. This is a great question to ask when you want to know how well they can plan.
44. If you had multiple projects and limited time, how would you go about managing your priorities?
This is one of the most interesting interview questions. The answer should be something along the lines of work smarter, not harder.
3 Interesting But Fun Questions To Calm Things Down
Interviews can be really boring. So why not use these fun interview questions to liven it up?
Here are 3 interesting but fun interview questions:
45. Name a person, alive or dead, that you would want to meet and why?
Actors, presidents, or musicians. Who would they pick?
46. How would you sell hot cocoa in Florida?
This sales pitch may just land them the position.
47. If you woke up and had 2,000 unread emails and could only answer 300 of them how would you choose which ones to answer?
To be honest, delete all of them is really the only answer.
3 Interesting Questions To Break The Ice
It can be difficult to know how to start a conversation. Don't worry, these ice breaker questions will help.
Here are 3 interesting ice breaker questions:
48. How would people communicate in a perfect world?
You never know they might come up with the next best way of communication.
49. If you were a Microsoft Office program, which one would you be?
There's no right answer. It's just a fun interview question.
50. If you won $50 million dollars, how would you spend it and what would you do?
Everyone has thought about it, so why not ask about it?
4 Interesting And Funny Questions To Lighten It Up
Here are 4 interesting and funny interview questions:
51. What was your best McGuyver moment?
Always useful information for company campouts.
52. What’s the most useless talent you have?
Normally you would wait until the Christmas party to ask this question...
53. What ridiculous thing has someone tricked you into doing or believing?
Who knows? They could be tricking you right now!
54. Which is your favorite drink?
Just so you know what to stock the communal fridge with.
4 Interesting Unique Questions To Discuss
Every candidate is trying to stand out from the crowd. Make sure you stand out from the sea of competitors with these unique interview questions.
Here are 4 interesting unique interview questions:
55. If you could be a superhero, what power would you possess?
Flying, invisibility? Who knows?
56. Room, desk, and car – which do you clean first?
Be warned, people have very strong opinions on this one.
57. Would Mahatma Gandhi have made a good software engineer?
*Shrugs shoulders emoji*
58. Rate yourself on a scale of 1 to 10 how weird you are
Depending on your company, a 10 could actually be good.
4 Interesting But Weird Questions For Job Interview
Some jobs require weird interview questions. These questions aren't designed to catch the candidate out but to see if they can think outside of the box.
Here are 4 interesting weird interview questions:
59. Does life fascinate you?
If the answer isn't yes, you might have to ask why.
60.Would You Rather Become A Creative Person Or A Technical Person?
This is one of the best questions to ask. The perfect candidate will say both.
61. Which would you pick: being world-class attractive, a genius, or famous for doing something great?
This question is great when you want to know if someone would rather help people or doing something for their own personal gain.
62. If you were asked to unload a large airplane full of jellybeans, what would you do?
I guarantee that the answer to this question is going to be more hilarious than informative!
3 Interesting Questions For Group Meetings
Group interviews are a great way to know how people work together. But coming up with interesting group interview questions can be difficult.
Here are 3 of the most interesting group interview questions:
63. What made your teamwork successful?
Being able to identify the good and bad aspects of teamwork is very important in a candidate.
64. How did you deal with problems during the group activity?
If you want to know how someone deals with conflict within a group, this question is the best one to ask.
65. How did you deal with the stress created by meeting the challenges?
Knowing how a candidate deals with stress is one of the best ways to know how they work.
Downloadable List of Interesting Interview Questions
Here is a downloadable list of interesting interview questions (right-click the image and select Save Image As):...
How To Pick The Best Interesting Interview Questions
Don't know where to start when picking questions for interview? Afraid you might ask the wrong ones? Don't worry, here's the best was to pick great interview questions:
Here is how to pick the best interesting interview questions:
1. Pick questions that are applicable to the job
While all of our interview questions are great, some of them may not be applicable to the job that you are hiring for. Also, try and think about the type of person you want for the role. Consider their work ethic and personality and then pick the best questions that will give you an idea of these traits.
2. Make sure the questions aren't TOO personal
Personal questions are always great questions to ask but make sure that they don't get too personal. Don't ask about family background or personal issues like marriage breakup or how much their whole household earns per year. These questions will make the candidate feel really uncomfortable. They also won't accept the position if they're offered it.
3. Pick personality and work ethic questions
When you are picking interesting interview questions, make sure you pick questions that will give you a better impression of the candidate as a person. Pick questions that will give you answers about the way they deal with colleagues and how they deal with challenges. Answers to these questions will determine if they're the right person for your company.
More Questions To Ask
- Can't think of any conversation topics? Why not check out our great list of conversation topics
- Worried you won't be able to make conversation when you meet someone new? Try our list of great conversation starters.
- Want to know more about someone but don't know where to start? Have a look at our list of the best deep questions to ask.
- Shy and don't know how to start a conversation? Why not check out our how to start a conversation guide?
- Once you start a conversation it can be difficult to maintain. Check out our how to keep a conversation going guide for more.
When you are picking interview questions, it's important to keep in mind your ideal candidate. When you identify the traits associated with your ideal person, you will then be able to pick the most interesting interview questions.
Remember, interviews can be stressful for all parties. Make sure you make the candidate as comfortable as possible. Also, make sure you are as prepared as possible by picking the best interview questions. Picking the best questions to ask may be the difference between picking a good candidate and a great candidate.
So now that you have some of the most interesting interview questions, why not use them in your next interview?