Archer | Jul 15, 2021 | 0
54 What If Questions - Thought-provoking conversation starters.
New? Start here.
Why should you want to know some great what if questions?
Because what if you had a list of questions to ask that could spark fascinating discussions virtually anytime, anywhere, and with anyone? Now you do.
What if questions are incredibly versatile. They give your conversational companion a specific subject to marinate on, from light and silly to deep and sometimes even disturbing. Now that's a tasty banquet of food for thought.
Just one solid what if question can create ongoing debates among your friends, family, co-workers, and even that girl you've been crushing on. They're great because you can choose unique questions for specific people, and a person's answers can tell you a lot about the inner-workings of their brain.
Browse this long list, and remember your favorites so you always have a few go-to what if questions on deck to use whenever the mood strikes.
5 Best What If Questions
These are some of the biggest and best what if questions. These are the types of questions that people never thought they would have to answer in a billion years, and that's what makes them awesome.
Some of them are incredibly tough – sometimes even impossible. Others are more thought-provoking and imaginative. Use them wisely.
Here are the 5 best what if questions:
1. What if you woke up one morning in another country surrounded by people who spoke no English and with only the clothes you slept in, what would you do?
This question really inspires you to be creative while also forcing you to think practically.
2. What if you could be famous, but poor forever would you do it?
What's more truly valuable, riches or glory?
3. What if you had the chance, would you change something in the history, risking that, your parents never will meet with each other and you never will be born?
Are you willing to potentially sacrifice your very existence for the greater good of humanity?
4. What if you could say a sentence which the whole world could hear, what would you say?
You have your platform, but only for one minute.
5. What if you could live perfectly well without sleeping, if you had no need to sleep at all, how would you spend all your nights?
Or, should you try a polyphasic sleep cycle like Kramer from Seinfeld? What could possibly go wrong?
7 What If Conversation Starter Questions
Use these conversation starters when you're interested in going beyond the ordinary and into the extraordinary. After all, sometimes people get bored with the typical, average openers – you can only discuss how your work week is going so many times until it becomes talking just for the sake of being polite.
Starting a conversation with what if questions is a surefire way to make sure you're remembered after meeting someone new. You might even inspire people to use your questions on other people.
Here are 7 what if conversation starter questions:
6. What if you were a hotdog and you were starving, would you eat yourself?
Is it cannibalism if you're made of sentient processed meats?
7. What if you woke up suddenly because your house was on fire, which three things would you save as you ran outside?
This question is a great way to learn about what possessions are most important to a person, which can tell you a lot about them.
8. What if you were given three wishes, what would you wish for?
A classic question that can generate a massive range of answers.
9. What if you were given a chance to go to the moon, would you go? Why or why not?
Are the risks worth the rewards?
10. What if you had to choose between a wonderful romantic relationship that would end after only a year, or a so-so relationship that would last your entire life, which one would you choose?
Is it better to have loved and lost...? A year of bliss or a lifetime of stability?
11. What if you found a suitcase full of $1,000,000, what would you do?
This is a fun question because you can discuss where the money potentially came from too, which might affect your decisions. You don't want to be in possession of the wrong person's suitcase full of money!
12. What if you could move anywhere, where would you like to live?
A person's dream home can reveal quite a bit about their personality and tastes as well as their goals and ambitions.
4 What If Random Questions
When you want to keep someone on their toes, you can't beat random questions. Many of these questions don't have any context, and that's okay.
Variety is the spice of life. Use these random questions to go beyond the norm and into uncharted territories.
Here are 4 what if random questions:
13. What if you had to pick one person to be with forever?
Knowing only what you know about them now. Would you take a gamble or go with a safe bet?
14. What if you could keep one memory of us together? Which one would you choose?
Asking this question itself is a great way to create a lasting memory with that special someone.
15. What if you could eat only one food for the rest of your what food would you choose and why?
This is a lighthearted question that still makes you think long and hard about what your decision would be.
16. What if you could have a party and invite anyone (dead or alive), which people would you invite?
Who would be on the ultimate guest list?
8 Funny What If Questions to Ask
You don't always need to crack a joke to make someone laugh. These funny questions to ask will have the other person in stitches.
The beauty of these hilarious what if questions is that sometimes the real humor comes from the answers. These questions put you in bizarre situations that tickle your brain's funny bone every time. Sharing some laughs is a tried-and-true way to form meaningful connections with people, so don't overlook this section.
Here are 8 funny what if questions to ask:
17. What if birds aren't singing and they're screaming because they are afraid of the heights?
This question really makes you rethink the tranquility of that "Sounds of Nature" album you fall asleep to.
18. What if the only reason we cant walk though mirrors is because our reflection blocks us?
And if you spend enough time convincing him, will he eventually let you in?
19. What if we can breath on space but the government just tells us we can't so we don't try to escape?
Well, do you personally know anyone who has tried to breathe in space? I doubt it.
20. What if there are actually multiple souls in your body but you're the most powerful one so you have control over your body and the voices you hear in your head are just the weaker souls talking to you?
Hopefully they don't band together and start a mutiny. That could get awkward.
21. What if humans lost all their skin every winter and walked around as skeletons and the trees get pissed when they have to rake all our skin off their lawns?
You never know what's going on in those parallel universes.
22. What if everything you see right now is just a hallucination caused by inhaling oxygen?
And we can only see the true nature of reality when we breathe in space?
23. What if instead of police dogs, there were giant, man-sized police spiders?
There would certainly be much less crime.
24. What if you choose not to drink coffee during coffee break?
Will the spider police come after you?
7 Fun What If Questions to Ask
Use these fun questions to ask when you just want to keep things light. Not every conversation needs to be heavy or hilarious.
These fun questions help you to escape idle chit-chat without getting too weird with it. They're great for passing time at work, in the car, or at the dinner table.
Here are 7 fun what if questions to ask:
25. What if animals could talk, which would be the rudest?
Bonus points if you can do your best impression.
26. What if the all the States in the USA were represented by food, what food would each state be represented by?
This is a fun thought exercise to make you think about the many unique cultures in the United States.
27. What if you had to change your name, what would your new name be, and why would you choose that name?
Serious and funny responses are both welcomed.
28. What if you could be an Olympic athlete, what sport would you compete in?
Feel free to make up your own if you're not into any of the current options.
29. What if you could be in the movie of your choice, what movie would you choose and what character would you play?
Feel free to also brainstorm a movie that doesn't exist yet.
30. What if you could sit on a bench in a beautiful woods, who would you like sitting next to you on the bench and why?
Who is that one person who would make that serene moment truly perfect?
31. What if you could invite four famous people to dinner, who would you choose and why?
And where would you go?
8 What If, Ice Breaker Questions
Sometimes, breaking through someone's cold, tough exterior can be challenging. These ice breaker questions can help with that.
They're similar to conversation starters, but they have that extra something that helps people to open up to you. Some of them are forward, some of them are heavy, and some are downright strange. No matter what, you're sure to get a response!
Here are 8 what if ice breaker questions:
32. What if I liked to dance naked while listening to One Direction?
Hypothetical questions, of course...
33. What if I had no money… would you still love me?
This question helps you to understand the value that people in your life put on material things.
34. What if you were stranded on a desert island with me, but we had no food?
Time to start asking the tough questions...
35. What if I got really fat?
At least you'd feed more people on the island.
36. What would happen if you fell into a black hole?
Next time you see one, check out the event horizon and report back.
37. What if another advanced species existed?
And their talent is staying extremely well hidden?
38. What if a giant asteroid hadn't wiped out the dinosaurs?
How would life be different today? Would we be serving reptilian overlords?
39. What if humans were twice as intelligent?
What could we potentially accomplish?
5 Interesting What If Questions
Humans inspire humans. Spectacular feats have been achieved that were born of nothing but mere words. These interesting questions empower you to stimulate each other's minds and think in new and exciting ways.
Some of these questions force you to use your imagination by putting you in impossible situations. Others are more of thought exercises that make you think outside the box by imagining strange occurrences and alternative universes. Use them to blow minds.
Here are 5 interesting what if questions:
40. What if all the cats in the world suddenly died?
Clearly there would have been some sort of master plan executed by all the dogs in the world.
41. What gravity was slowly disappearing?
Would we be able to find a solution? Brick shoes?
42. What if the sun were half as big?
Or worse, if it shrunk to half its size out of nowhere?
43. What would we do if we discovered aliens?
Or if they discovered us? (cue X-Files theme)
44. What if electricity wasn't invented yet, how would your life be different?
Would you be able to cut it in a world lit by candles?
10 Deep What If Questions to Ask
When you're ready to take the conversation to that next level, use these deep questions to ask. These are the big questions that may keep you up at night.
From science to history to philosophy to existentialism, these are thought-provoking questions that may take days, months, or even years to fully hash out. Ask them when you really want to understand the depths of a person's thoughts, opinions, and wildest imaginations.
Here are 10 deep what if questions to ask:
45. What if everything we will do has been predetermined?
Is choice just an illusion?
46. What if there were fourth, fix, or even sixth dimensional beings watching and evaluating our every single action?
Smile and wave hello, just in case.
47. What if the universe is a giant simulation?
A simulated reality may not be far-fetched as you think. Are you The One?
48. What if we could upload our consciousness into a machine?
Would you take the risk? Eternal consciousness is bound to get old eventually, and what if there's nobody around to flip the switch off?
49. What if Déjà vu and hypnosis were actually the tells that led to true understanding of the mind?
And our brains are still evolving to process these signals properly?
50. What if Ghosts are real and generate their own power? Would you use a ghost powered battery in your phone? What if the phone would run forever with no charging needed?
At least you wouldn't be haunted by dead batteries anymore.
51. What if the God of Abraham was real but was killed during the nuclear testing?
Or he just decided we're on our own from there.
52. What if Donald Trump got elected the President of the United States?
A reality TV star as President? Surely you jest.
53. What if I have more to celebrate than I realize?
We should all be always looking for new things to celebrate – no matter how small.
54. What if I smiled more?
Smiling causes happiness, so why not?
Downloadable and Printable List of What If Questions
Here is a downloadable and printable list of what if questions (right click the image and select Save Image As...):
How to Ask What If Questions
Finally, try not to overthink things too much with these. What if questions should be light – even when the topics are heavy. Approach them in a relaxed, easy, and casual way, and through the magic of good conversation, you'll find that you're able to form meaningful connections that last.
Here's how to ask What if questions:
1. Use What If Questions Sparingly
Sure, what if questions are a ton of fun, and that's exactly why you don't want to overdo them. After all, too much of anything can get old, and you don't want to become known as the guy who constantly asks "what if..." in every social situation. These questions are just one of many tools in your kit.
2. Don't Push It Too Far
Just because you're using the "what if" format doesn't mean you can ask anything. Recognize the other person's boundaries, and try not to cross them. What if questions can help you form connections fast, but you don't want to rush or force it. Keep it natural.
(Of course, this rule can be broken when you're with close friends and family members who you're super comfortable with.)
3. Put Your Own Spin On What If Questions
This last is the ultimate starting point, but you're only limited to your imagination. Feel free to put your own twists on questions – especially if you can make them more relatable to the person you're talking to. Keep your material fresh and relevant.
More Great Questions To Ask
What if questions are a whole lot of fun, but don't forget to change it up once in a while. Here are some more questions to add to your repertoire:
- Connect with a new person with these get to know you questions.
- Use weird questions to ask when you want a departure from the mundane and into the strange.
- Keep would you rather questions on hand to use alongside what if questions – they complement each fantastically.
Now that you have a solid list of questions to ask, go have some fun with them. Pay attention to how people react, and take mental note of the best ones.
Think about your own answers so you can contribute to the conversation. Remember: it takes two to make a discussion work. Ask questions and give answers.