Knowing great questions to ask, and more specifically great would you rather questions for couples, is one of those great relationship… that so few couple know about.
Because next time you go out to eat, take a look at the other couples in the restaurant… notice how many sit in silence or stare at their phones, hoping the bread sticks arrive and give them something to talk about. They’ve run out of things to talk about and questions to ask each other.
Maybe you’ve found yourself in that position before. Maybe you just want to spice things up. Maybe you just want to ask some really hard questions to answer.
Regardless how new or how mature your relationship, we’ve all been at a loss for something to talk about from time to time. Thankfully, I have just the thing you need.
Would you rather questions are the perfect resource for those quiet moments on the phone or those lulls in conversation before the appetizers arrive.
Dig a little beneath the surface and would you rather questions can reveal your significant other’s priorities, preferences, and predilections.
Would you rather use conversation starters with your significant other let another opportunity slip by in silence?
Easy question, right?
Would you rather questions make great conversation starters for couples because they force a difficult choice on a person. Dig for the reasoning behind the choice your partner made and you have an instant, rich conversation on your hands.
Here are 15 would you rather conversation starters for couples:
1. Would you rather be in a bad relationship for the rest of your life or have no SO for the rest of your life?
They say that misery loves company. Is loneliness better than shared misery?
2. Would you rather wear comfortable clothes or fashionable clothes?
This can start a great conversation about presentation and practicality.
3. Would you rather stay in or go out for a date?
Some prefer the comforts of home, others enjoy the excitement of a night out.
4. Would you rather spend $5,000 on traveling or on a physical item like a TV?
This is a very important conversation for couples to have: experiences or things?
5. Would you rather work in an office doing paperwork or outside building something (assuming the pay is the same)?
Different people are better suited to different jobs. Which does your significant other prefer?
6. Would you rather work a morally questionable job that makes a lot of money or a job that helps a lot of people but doesn’t make much money?
Some of us have faced this very question. It’s a great way to start a conversation about ethics and profit.
7. Would you rather be waited on hand foot by a jealous SO or split chores 50 / 50 with a trusting SO?
Jealousy is a hot button issue in many relationships. Is there a trade off?
8. Would you rather lose all of your money and valuables or all of the pictures you have ever taken?
This question can uncover what your significant other finds truly valuable.
9. Would you rather go to jail for 4 years for something you didn’t do or get away with something horrible you did but always live in fear of being caught?
Which is worse: living in fear or suffering injustice?
10. Would you rather die in 20 years with no regrets or die in 50 years with many regrets?
The fullness of life can’t be measured in years, but the option for a longer life is pretty attractive.
11. Would you rather be transported permanently 500 years into the future or 500 years into the past?
Would you rather see where humanity is going or experience where we have been?
12. Would you rather never be able to use a touchscreen or never be able to use a keyboard and mouse?
We live in a connected world. Giving up either one is pretty hard to imagine.
13. Would you rather have unlimited sushi for life or unlimited tacos for life?
If you think about it, sushi is kind of like a fish burrito. There’s gotta be a loophole in there somewhere.
14. Would you rather be unable to use search engines or unable to use social media?
Give up knowledge or give up memes. Which will it be?
15. Would you rather give up bathing for a month or give up the internet for a month?
Both are pretty crucial for survival in modern society.
Often times you learn the most about another person when they are in situations they didn’t expect to be in. A person’s gut reaction reveals much more than a planned response might.
Get to know you questions for couples work in the same way… but without the danger. Use these would you rather questions to present your significant other with an unexpected choice, and get to know one another in a way you that you might not normally be able to.
Here are 15 of the best get to know you questions for couples:
16. Would you rather never use social media sites / apps again or never watch another movie or TV show?
No matter what you give up, you’re bound to have a lot more free time.
17. Would you rather be the first person to explore a planet or be the inventor of a drug that cures a deadly disease?
What kinds of things does your partner want to be remembered for?
18. Would you rather find your true love or a suitcase with five million dollars inside?
This question will bring up topics that all couples should discuss, relationships and finances.
19. Would you rather be able to teleport anywhere or be able to read minds?
One offers ultimate freedom, the other offers ultimate insight.
20. Would you rather know when you are going to die or how you are going to die?
And no, even though you know you can’t prevent it. Fate is tricky like that.
21. Would you rather suddenly be elected a senator or suddenly become a CEO of a major company. (You won’t have any more knowledge about how to do either job than you do right now.)
Is your significant other more of a team player or a big idea person?
22. Would you rather lose all of your memories from birth to now or lose your ability to make new long term memories?
Are the best days in the past or yet to come?
23. Would you rather be infamous in history books or be forgotten after your death?
They say all publicity is good publicity. Is that true?
24. Would you rather never be able to eat meat or never be able to eat vegetables?
Vegetarians will have an easy time with this one, but it can start a great conversation about healthy diets.
25. Would you rather be a practicing doctor or a medical researcher?
Which is more important, gaining knowledge or using it?
26. Would you rather not be able to open any closed doors (locked or unlocked) or not be able to close any open doors?
This question can start a conversation about inclusion and privacy.
27. Would you rather be an amazing artist or a brilliant mathematician?
Both artists and academics contribute to society. How would your partner prefer to contribute?
28. Would you rather be held in high regard by your parents or your friends?
As we grow older the importance of friends and family can change. Who is most important to your significant other?
29. Would you rather be able to go to any theme park in the world for free for the rest of your life or eat for free at any drive through restaurant for the rest of your life?
Everyone has to eat, but we all need some excitement too.
30. Would you rather lose the ability to read or lose the ability to speak?
Either give up your self expression, or cease to learn from the expressions of others.
Studies prove it time and time again, laughter is key to a healthy relationship.
You’ve probably been making your significant other laugh since the very beginning, but if you need some more funny questions to ask, I’ve got just the thing for you.
Here are 15 funny would you rather questions for couples:
31. Would you rather have a golden voice or a silver tongue?
Move crowds to tears or bend the masses to your will?
32. Would you rather be able to control animals (but not humans) with your mind or control electronics with your mind?
Think of all the fun you could have with either ability.
33. Would you rather be attractive but stupid or intelligent but ugly?
34. Would you rather be balding but fit or overweight but with a full head of hair?
Real life might not give you a choice, so choose while you can.
35. Would you rather see what was behind every closed door or be able to crack into any safe?
Make sure you pick opposite answers. You’ll be the most efficient partners in crime ever.
36. Would you rather know the history of every object you touched or be able to talk to animals?
I would watch a TV show based on either power.
37. Would you rather be a reverse centaur or a reverse mermaid/merman?
What goes best with human legs, horse head or fish head?
38. Would you rather have a clown only you can see that follows you everywhere and just stands silently in a corner watching you without doing or saying anything or have a real life stalker who dresses like the Easter bunny that everyone can see?
Which living nightmare would your significant other prefer?
39. Would you rather have everyone laugh at your jokes but not find anyone else’s jokes funny or have no one laugh at your jokes but you still find other people’s jokes funny?
Always the performer or always the audience?
40. Would you rather have free Wi-Fi wherever you go or be able to drink unlimited free coffee at any coffee shop?
Some people run on coffee, some people run on the web.
41. Would you rather be forced to dance every time you heard music or be forced to sing along to any song you heard?
Before you answer: remember weddings and funerals play music.
42. Would you rather have everything on your phone right now (browsing history, photos, etc.) made public to anyone who Googles your name or never use a cell phone again?
*starts sweating profusely*
43. Would you rather wake up as a new random person every year and have full control of them for the whole year or once a week spend a day inside a stranger without having any control of them?
Either way, you get to walk in other another person’s shoes/boots/slippers/heels/roller skates.
44. Would you rather never get a paper cut again or never get something stuck in your eye again?
Be gone, first world problems!
45. Would you rather randomly time travel +/- 20 years every time you fart or teleport to a different place on earth (on land, not water) every time you sneeze?
To answer this one must to take into account the gases that most frequently exit one’s body.
Every master communicator knows that different settings call for different kinds of speech.
You probably wouldn’t tell the same jokes over coffee with your grandma as you would belly up to the bar with the boys. These clean would you rather questions are a guaranteed safe bet for when you want to keep things rated G.
These questions are best used in more formal settings, like meeting your partner’s parents or having dinner with his or her colleagues. When you want to play it safe, these are the questions for you.
Here are 10 clean would you rather questions for couples:
46. Would you rather have an awesome job in a mediocre city or a mediocre job in an awesome city?
Which is the higher priority: the quality of the hours spent at work or the time spent at play?
47. Would you rather be a genius nobody believes, or an idiot everyone believes?
What’s more important, intelligence or recognition?
48. Would you rather have a personal chef or a housekeeper?
Coming home to a clean house or a home cooked meal? Either would make life so convenient.
49. Would you rather sit on a beach for a week or go on a Outward Bound type adventure vacation?
Some people seek relaxation, others seek adventure.
50. Would you rather know what time it is without a clock or always know exactly where you are without a map?
Does your significant other need a little help with punctuality or with a sense of direction?
51. Would you rather go for a year without television or books?
We’re living in the golden age of TV, but books are an unmatched medium of entertainment.
52. Would you rather live in a busy neighborhood with a great view or deep in the woods with complete privacy?
When it comes to one’s home, seclusion and sights are two of the items that top wish lists.
53. Would you rather take a guided tour of Europe (with a tour bus and a schedule) or wander around on your own without a guide who speaks the native languages?
People’s traveling styles can vary greatly. If you and your partner are planning a trip this will be good information.
54. Would you rather do work that involves detail or big ideas?
Often times these preferences will go beyond work and into everyday life.
55. Would you rather be in a relationship with someone who never argues or someone who never hugs?
Life is filled with tough questions. To be or not to be? What is love? Dine in or carry out?
Those age old queries don’t hold a candle to these hard would you rather questions. Unlike some of the earlier questions that focus on humor, these ones are designed to make you and your partner think.
Here are 10 hard would you rather questions for couples:
56. Would you rather live in the wilderness far from civilization or live on the streets of a city as a homeless person?
57. Would you rather the general public think you are a horrible person but your family be very proud of you or your family think you are a horrible person but the general public be very proud of you?
Whose recognition is most important to your significant other?
58. Would you rather be completely invisible for one day or be able to fly for one day?
Either ability could get a person into places they couldn’t normally go.
59. Would you rather have a horrible job, but be able to retire comfortably in 10 years or have your dream job, but have to work until the day you die?
They say if you love what you do you’ll never work a day in your life. Is that true?
60. Would you rather be constantly tired no matter how much you sleep or constantly hungry no matter what you eat?
Nobody likes either feeling. Which would your partner hate more?
61. Would you rather work very hard at a rewarding job or hardly have to work at a job that isn’t rewarding?
Some people look for satisfaction in their work, others prefer to find it elsewhere.
62. Would you rather be reincarnated as a fly or just cease to exist after you die?
Another chance at life sounds pretty appealing. The life of a fly? Not so much.
63. Would you rather have a criminal justice system that actually works and is fair or an administrative government that is free of corruption?
Let’s face it: the system is broken. Where would your partner start fixing things?
64. Would you rather lose your non-dominant hand or your dominant foot?
The way your significant other answers this question probably has a lot to do his or her pastimes.
65. Would you rather live in a utopia as a normal person or in a dystopia but you are the supreme ruler?
A quiet life in a perfect world is all anyone could ask for… unless they seek unlimited power.
How to Use Would You Rather Questions For Couples
The great thing about would you rather questions is that they are versatile and flexible.
There is no wrong way to use would you rather questions with your significant other, but I do have a few tips to help you get the most out of these questions. Follow these three steps and you’ll be well on your way to more laughter, great conversations, and a deeper relationship.
1. Know your partner
By now you probably know a few things about the person you’re dating. You’ve got an idea of their passions, interests, and pastimes. Let what your partner cares about guide the questions that you ask.
This is a great chance to show how well you listen by asking questions that you know your partner will be interesting in discussing.
2. Follow up
Getting your partner’s answers to these would you rather questions is a great place to start, but don’t stop there.
The true value in would you rather questions is finding out the other person’s reasoning for the decision that they made. Ask your SO for an explanation and you’ll find yourselves laughing more, talking more often, and getting to know each other better.
3. Express yourself
It might be tempting to fire off question after question from this list, but to get the most out of these questions you’ll have to open up about your own thoughts and feelings too. Let your partner know how you would answer the questions and give them the opportunity to ask for your reasoning.
After all, great relationships are built on communication.
Downloadable List of Would You Rather Questions for Couples
Here is a downloadable list of would you rather questions for couples (right click the image and select Save Image As…):
Looking for More Great Questions?
Whether you’re looking to get to know someone you’ve just met, have a meaningful conversation with someone that you know well, or share some laughs with your friends, we at Mantelligence have the perfect resources for all your question needs:
- Get to know a person’s thoughts and feelings on all sorts of topics with these This or That Questions.
- Our Fun Questions to Ask are designed to keep things light and easy going. They’re great for chatting with friends and making small talk with the people you meet.
- Read through these Interesting Questions to Ask and you won’t be able to hold yourself back from starting fascinating conversations.
By now you know dozens of great questions to ask your significant other.
Whether you are looking for a way to fill the silence or a way to diversify the conversations you are already having, with these would you rather questions you have all the tools at your disposal to reach your goals.
Before you start using these questions, pat yourself on the back. The very fact that you are researching questions for couples is cause for celebration! Clearly you have found someone special, someone worth the effort it takes to build a relationship.
That is something worth celebrating.