Sam Whittaker | Jun 13, 2022 | 0
98 Interesting Conversation Topics - Spark fun, unexpected conversations.
New? Start here.
Why is knowing a few interesting conversation topics so helpful?
Because since you're an interesting person, you have a flurry of thoughts swimming around in your head, right? They range from the absurd to the practical and you can't wait to share them with the world.
And unfortunately, every once in a while you might draw a blank and run out of questions to ask. Maybe the girl you're talking to gives you the jitters or your cxonversational partner is as interesting as a wet plastic bag. What if you're the wet plastic bag? What can you do?
Nothing in life is attained by skipping steps, including a successful and thought-provoking conversation. So when you're out of questions to ask, start from scratch and think of a topic to talk about. Finding a topic to focus on is the perfect stepping stone to lead you towards an interesting conversation. Conversation topics are plentiful and range from family to work to hopes and dreams.
Once you have an idea of where the conversation should wander, you can begin to think about the questions that relate to the topic. Things will progress naturally from there and before you know it, you'll be looking at the clock, wondering where the time went.
98 Interesting Conversation Topics - Spark fun, unexpected conversations (Animated)
Watch this video on YouTube.
19 Interesting Conversation Starting Topics
Conversation starters are the best way to get to know someone you know nothing about. They're meant to help you get to know who you're talking to and make you both feel comfortable with each other. So, what are the interesting topics, you ask?
Here are 19 interesting conversation-starting topics and questions:
The internet is one of society's greatest achievements and is how much of the younger generation consumes entertainment. It connects us all and allows your everyday person to share his/her ideas with the world. There are countless niches to explore and everyone has a corner they visit regularly. Youtube stars are the new celebrity norm and Soundcloud is how many musical artists have gotten their start. Patreon allows artists to quit their day jobs and Reddit has propelled many people toward a new life.
So since we all consume it, why not talk about your favorites? It's an easy topic that everyone can relate to. Plus, with your pocket computer you can impress your conversational partner with something new!
1. What is the most beautiful song you have heard?
Music has the power to evoke some strong emotions.
2. What song gets you pumped every time it comes on?
2016 Grammy winner for Best Album, Beck just released a new extremely energetic album if that's your style.
3. What's your favorite movie or show that most people haven't heard about?
There are countless cult classics out there.
4. Who is your celebrity crush?
Everyone has a celebrity crush. Some have them for both genders.
5. What song do you listen to the most?
Pull up Spotify and take a look at the charts.
6.If you were famous, what industry would you like to be famous in?
A Saturday Night Live improvisational genius? A rap god? A street art enigma?
7. If you were stranded on an island for eternity, name one book or CD you would need to have in your possession.
The short story The Jaunt by Stephen King touches on this in a way. An eternity is longer than you think.
Friends and Family
In the best of cases, these two are interchangeable. Good friends are family and good family are friends.
We all have one, the other, or both and talking about the people that may define us is a great way to get to know who you're talking to.
8. Which of your friends or family do you look up to most?
Everyone has a friend or family member they aspire to be like.
9. What is something you got away with as a child that your family still doesn’t know about?
Is it still buried in the back yard?
10. What are the most common reasons for friendships to fall apart?
Sometimes things don't work out.
11. What is the best way to meet new friends?
How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie is a great resource if you're having trouble with this yourself.
12. What is the most annoying type of friend?
The moocher? The gossiper? The stinky one?
13. What separates true friends from acquaintances?
Friendships can be hard, especially if they're not reciprocal. What's your definition of a true friend?
14. Do you have any family traditions? If so, what?
Moms are the masterminds of family traditions. What does she drag you to every year that you secretly love?
Interesting Conversation Topics : Work, Play, and Education
Everyone went to school, everyone likes to do things in their spare time, and only the lucky and elderly don't have to work. Asking about these aspects of a people's lives gives you an idea of what an average day looks like for them.
Don't forget the getting to know you questions!
15. What do you want to be when you grow up?
Many people still don't have this one figured out well into their forties. It changes as life goes on.
16. What's a hobby you've always wanted to try?
And why haven't you tried it? Life is short so break out of that comfort zone as often as possible.
17. If you could eliminate one thing from your daily schedule, what would it be and why?
What can't you stand doing every day?
18. If you had this week to do over again, what would you do differently?
Having a mulligan would be nice, wouldn't it?
19. If you had a uniform that you had to wear every day, what would it be?
Women love a man in uniform.
18 Best Interesting Conversation Topics
The following are our best interesting conversation topics and they have the potential to bring about an engrossing and unique conversation, especially if you have your own experiences and knowledge about them.
Here are the 18 best interesting conversation topics and questions:
Even if you don't know much about this topic, you might get lucky and find someone who knows more than you. And people who know more than you might have the knowledge and insight that could help you grow as a man.
20. If you could go anywhere in the universe, where would you go?
A light year is the distance it takes light to travel in a year. Nearly 6 million miles.
21. What's the coolest fact about the universe you know?
Thinking about the seeming limitlessness of the universe can be overwhelming. But you can handle it.
22. What are some fun things you could do in zero-g?
You could perform a music video like OK Go.
23. Do you still consider Pluto to be a planet?
Does Pluto still need love or can we finally let it go?
24. Would you ever join a mission to colonize another planet if it meant never returning to earth?
Astronaut Scott Kelly spent the last year in space and the effects it had on his body are surprising.
25. If you could ask God a question what would it be?
Ignore your thoughts on the existence of God and use your imagination for this one!
Travel is essential to becoming a more worldly man. So get out there and experience the world. It's easier than you think.
26. What's the most interesting place you've visited?
Most travelers have a favorite.
27. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you choose?
Which place would you leave everything behind for?
28. If you could go on a trip anywhere in the world with anyone, where would you go and who would you take?
Who says you have to take anyone? Solo trips are perfect for exploring who you are.
29. When you think of “home” what do you think of?
Home is where the heart is.
30. Hotel or Tent?
The great outdoors or the cozy indoors?
Some people prefer one or the other. Figuring out which a person prefers will give you a better idea of the type of person they are and what they find valuable.
31. For your birthday, would you rather go somewhere or get something?
If you plan on doing something for a person for their birthday, you can just flat out ask what they like!
32. What gift have you received that you will always treasure?
There's always a story behind a meaningful gift.
33. What one possession do you cherish the most?
This one can get very personal and transport you to your conversational partner's past.
34. What is the one thing you would really like to own?
I got a new Bugatti.
35. What is the most creative gift you've ever made? Received?
Making gifts for people shows them you understand and are willing to put in the time for them.
36. What is the craziest thing you've ever done?
A wild story is on the way.
37. How often do you push yourself outside of your comfort zone?
Again, doing the things you don't want to do will help you grow.
11 Interesting and Funny Conversation Topics
Everyone loves to laugh and having a list of funny questions to ask will make you the funny guy. These 11 interesting and funny conversation topics can start things off on the right foot.
Here are 11 interesting and incredibly funny conversation topics:
We've all had them and most make great stories.
38. Have you ever overheard a conversation you weren't supposed to? What was it about?
Stop spying on people!
39. Have you ever walked in on something you weren't supposed to? What happened?
40. Have you ever had to hold your tongue even though you really wanted to say what was on your mind?
Sometimes we can't say what's on our mind for various reasons. Sometimes for self-preservation
41. When is a time you got caught with your foot in your mouth?
Have you ever been talking about someone and they walk up? Something along those lines.
42. What is your most awkward moment from Middle School or High School?
Look back at your yearbook and try to argue we all weren't confused balls of teen angst.
Interesting Conversation Topics : Weird and Unusual
These questions are simply fun and can turn the conversation to the absurd!
43. If you could add any word to the dictionary, what word would it be, and what would it mean?
New words are added every month.
44. What is the most unusual thing in your wallet, pocket, or purse right at this moment?
You probably have something in there you've forgotten about.
45. If all your furniture sprang to life, Beauty and the Beast style, which piece would scare you most?
Be our guest!, shouted the toilet.
46. If your best friend wrote a book about you, what would the title be? What about your worst enemy?
A New York Times best seller no doubt.
47. If you had to be named after a city, state, or country (etc), which would you want it to be?
Names are getting weirder and weirder.
48. If you were a candy bar, which candy bar would you be?
You'd be a Sugar Daddy wouldn't you?
18 Interesting, but Deep Conversation Topics
Occasionally you'll find the conversation drift towards deep conversation topics. That's a good thing!
Having deep questions to ask is great if you want to know how the person you're talking to feels on the deepest levels. Deep conversation topics will take you on a journey into your conversational partner's mind and allow for a more meaningful conversation.
Here are 18, but deep conversation topics:
Everyone should have a defined set of morals and values. Think about what is important to you and be sure to live up to those standards you set for yourself. Nobody can take that away from you.
49. What is a challenge you would never want to face?
Face it. You'll come out stronger in the end.
50. If you could do so, how would you change the world?
Sparking up a conversation with a cashier has more power than you think.
51. What real-life situation where you stood up for someone/something?
Having defined values will allow you to stand up for what you believe is right.
52. When and where do you feel most like your real self?
What makes you let go and just be yourself?
53. Do you say ‘yes’ too often when you really want to say ‘no’?
It may seem terrifying to tell someone "no". In most cases however, that person will completely understand and you'll realize you had no reason to worry in the first place.
54. Why is it sometimes hard to forgive others?
People hurt us sometimes. Figuring out why you're hurt and how to forgive is essential to moving on.
55. What are three things for which you are grateful?
Writing down three things you're grateful for when you wake up can mean the difference between a good day and a terrible one.
Interesting Conversation Topics : Beauty
They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Is that always true though? Where do you find beauty? How does it differ from other people's definition?
56. How does the absence of beauty affect people?
It could be physical, emotional or abstract beauty. What are the results if any of these aren't present?
57. Is beauty only in the eye of the beholder, or can we say some things are universally beautiful?
It's debatable. One thing you find beautiful may not be beautiful to someone else.
58. What makes a person beautiful to you?
Looks? Attitude? Personality?
59. What makes a piece of art beautiful to you?
Artists put in the work knowing their pieces won't be liked by everyone. That takes guts.
60. What’s the best compliment you’ve ever gotten?
My, what big teeth you have, Grandmother!
Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Come watch T.V. - Morty Smith
61. If you had the attention of the world for just 10 seconds, what would you say?
Make it count.
62. What controversial issue – social or political – do you feel strongly about?
There's no shortage of either of these in this day and age.
63. What do you think is the most significant event in the history of the human race?
Humans have come a long way. Where did we succeed at being human?
64. Do you pray for humanity or celebrate it?
Where is your faith in humanity?
65. What issue do most people think is black and white?
Is anything ever as simple as it seems?
66. What do you think the world will be like in twenty-five years?
Is it controlled by corrupt politicians and corporations or have we achieved world peace?
15 Interesting Conversation Topics with a Girl
Talking to a girl can be daunting, especially if you like her. Unless you have questions to ask a girl in your mind, you'll be left watching the ice in your glass melt, awkwardly awaiting the check.
The following interesting conversation topics will get you started but don't forget to check out our post on interesting questions to ask a girl for more interesting questions! They'll keep her guessing where the conversation will lead to next and who knows? Maybe she'll like you a bit more.
Here are 18 interesting conversation topics and questions with a girl:
Hopes and Dreams
We all have them. She'll be happy to share hers with you as long as you ask.
67. If you could wish one thing to come true this year, what would it be?
What does she want more than anything else this year?
68. What would you like to be known for?
We all want to leave a legacy. What's hers?
69. What will you be like when you are 75?
Young and wild and free.
70. What do you hope your life will be like 10 years from now?
Is she actively working towards it? Are you working towards yours?
71. What drives you to do what you do?
What is her WHY?
Interesting Conversation Topics : Fears/Dislikes (The Bad Stuff)
Talking about negative emotions can be challenging but they're a part of who we are. Sharing them with others can make us feel closer to them. It can also make us overcome them.
72. What was the most terrifying situation you have ever been in?
What experience made her blood run cold?
73. What irrational fear do you have?
Spiders? Airplane toilets? Clowns?
74. What part of the day do you dread?
Nobody likes their commute to work.
75. What are your most common negative thoughts?
Meditation and mindfulness have quickly become supported by science. Practicing them can help quiet an overactive mind.
76. If you only had one month to live, how would you spend your time? With whom?
Nobody knows when their time is up. What would you do if it was sooner than you thought?
Discovering a girl's stance on relationships will help you understand the kind of friend she'll eventually be to you (if all goes well.)
77. Who in your family are you most like?
Pay attention because it's probably what she'll be like when she gets older.
78. Do you make friends easily or do you find it difficult to make new friends?
Some people have a knack for it. Show her the ropes if she struggles.
79. Who is your oldest friend? How did you meet them?
Our longtime friends have been there for us through thick and thin.
80. What are some of your ideas for how to keep a relationship strong over time?
Communication and understanding.
81. Do you have anyone you go for advice?
It's important to have someone you can talk to for perspective.
17 Interesting Conversation Topics for Couples
Lust happens naturally but love takes work.
One of the secrets to a successful relationship is breaking away from the monotony and keeping things interesting. Taking her on new dates is great but do you have any questions to ask your girlfriend while you're on those dates? Are you just going to walk around the zoo silently? Of course not.
What about at the end of the day when you've both returned from work or school? Where does the conversation go after you've told each other about your day? Our questions for couples article has some great questions but here are 17 interesting conversation topics for couples that will help you maintain a happy and healthy relationship.
Here 17 interesting conversation topics for couples:
How does she view success? How do you view success?
82. What two things do you consider yourself to be very good at?
It's important to think highly of yourself.
83. What are some successes you’ve had in your personal life? Your professional life?
People love sharing their successes. Be happy for them!
84. What is the next big success you are working towards?
Keep moving forward and you'll get there sooner than you think.
85. What is your 5 year plan?
Everyone should have a 5 year plan. Baby steps will get you there.
86. What is the most recent success you’ve had?
It's the little successes that make our days easier.
Interesting Conversation Topics : The Past
Knowing about your girlfriend's past will give you a better idea of what she's all about. After all, our pasts are what shape us into who we are today.
87. What’s one of your favorite memories?
Watch closely as her eyes light up and her smile grow.
88. Who was your enemy or the bully when you were young?
Hopefully she wasn't unlucky enough to be bullied.
89. What is one of your earliest memories?
These usually seem to be rather profound.
90. What is something you did as a child your parents don't know about?
Is there something buried in the back yard?
91.Would you rather live for a week in the past or the future?
Be better prepared or try something over?
92. What’s one choice you really regret?
We all have regrets. Eventually we all have to forgive ourselves.
Feelings can be hard to talk about. But sharing your feelings with each other is one of the secrets to a healthy relationship.
93. If you were describing your SO to someone, what would you say?
How does she feel about you?
94. What can I do to show that I appreciate you?
What does she expect from you?
95. In what situation(s) do you become discouraged?
How can you help boost her self esteem?
96. What can I do to help you when you’re upset or stressed?
Give her space or shower her with affection?
97. How can you tell someone you love them without using words?
Actions speak louder than words.
98. Is there anything you have always wanted to ask me but didn’t?
Have her ask it now. There's no better time to say something than right now.
Downloadable and Printable List of Interesting Conversation Topics
Here is a downloadable and printable list of interesting conversation topics (right click the image and select Save Image As...):
More Interesting Conversation Topics
Looking for more interesting, fun, and different conversation topics? We've got you covered:
- This or That questions provide a great 'jumping-off point' for conversations.
- Hobbies are one of my favorite conversation topics. Take a look at our list of hobbies or hobbies for men to get started.
- Would you rather questions always spark really fun, and interesting conversations.
- And, if you're looking to make a game of it, try our truth or dare questions.
Feeling more interesting yet?
You've looked through the list, hopefully done some research of your own and should now understand the secrets and benefits of having conversation topics handy.
With the right questions to ask, the right conversation topics... and an open mind, you should be ready to start any conversation with confidence and gusto. Of course, you're not limited to these interesting topics. Talk about whatever you're passionate about and you can't go wrong.
So what are you waiting for? Get out there and have some interesting conversations of your own!